GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurodyne Updates

mayhem_j30

Passed Driver's Ed
Last edited:

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Thought I would report in on this thread first.

I switched to the 7200RPM rev limit Stage 3 DSG tune a couple of weeks back. I have been decently pleased with the Stage 3 TCU tune compared to the Stage 1 & 2 tunes. Minor gripes were slightly too high of clamping/line pressures under part throttle and no throttle/decel upshifts (mainly in manual mode), basically unusable sport mode. Interestingly, the drive mode was pretty solid. While I have enjoyed being able to upgrade my DSG tune over the past 2 years, I wanted a bit more.

I found a used AP with DSG unlocked for a killer deal. Purchased the EQT Stage 3/Vortex DSG tune (which was on sale for Boost Weather!). I am happy to report that the install went super smooth. Returned to stock via Eurodyne, then flashed the EQT tune. First test drive went super smooth. DSG shiftpoints in D are conservative, but has much better pedal mapping/response to pedal changes. Sport mode really carries some RPM (almost more than I would want at part throttle, but won't use that often). Did a couple of test pulls and saw peak clutch pressure observed was 16.2Bar. This tune is serious but so much smoother in comparison to the ED Stage 3.

The big question on the table was if the ED Maestro ECU based LC would function appropriately. I am happy to report that it does 100%. Cobb's LC function is built into the ECU programming similarly to ED, but I had concerns that the stock VW LC would be re-enabled. I initially could not get the LC RPM set appropriately, but it was because I was in Neutral, and not Park. Once I put it in Park with the handbrake on, I was able to set the RPM limit and the CEL flashed twice to confirm.

This is the best of both worlds for me right now. The EQT DSG tune is absolutely lightyears ahead of the ED tune. More than likely most already knew that, but just wanted to reiterate that at the outset, things are looking fantastic.

Will report back with any issues.

Last edited:

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion

I switched to the 7200RPM rev limit Stage 3 DSG tune a couple of weeks back. I have been decently pleased with the Stage 3 TCU tune compared to the Stage 1 & 2 tunes. Minor gripes were slightly too high of clamping/line pressures under part throttle and no throttle/decel upshifts (mainly in manual mode), basically unusable sport mode. Interestingly, the drive mode was pretty solid. While I have enjoyed being able to upgrade my DSG tune over the past 2 years, I wanted a bit more.

I found a used AP with DSG unlocked for a killer deal. Purchased the EQT Stage 3/Vortex DSG tune (which was on sale for Boost Weather!). I am happy to report that the install went super smooth. Returned to stock via Eurodyne, then flashed the EQT tune. First test drive went super smooth. DSG shiftpoints in D are conservative, but has much better pedal mapping/response to pedal changes. Sport mode really carries some RPM (almost more than I would want at part throttle, but won't use that often). Did a couple of test pulls and saw peak clutch pressure observed was 16.2Bar. This tune is serious but so much smoother in comparison to the ED Stage 3.

The big question on the table was if the ED Maestro ECU based LC would function appropriately. I am happy to report that it does 100%. Cobb's LC function is built into the ECU programming similarly to ED, but I had concerns that the stock VW LC would be re-enabled. I initially could not get the LC RPM set appropriately, but it was because I was in Neutral, and not Park. Once I put it in Park with the handbrake on, I was able to set the RPM limit and the CEL flashed twice to confirm.

This is the best of both worlds for me right now. The EQT DSG tune is absolutely lightyears ahead of the ED tune. More than likely most already knew that, but just wanted to reiterate that at the outset, things are looking fantastic.

How did you switch to this eurodyne tcu tune set for 7200 rpm? Does it auto upshift? Im getting tired of my eurodyne stage 3 tune shifting at 6700 rpm and constantly double shifting if I get too close to that redline. Is there some kind of update you did to see this revised tune? Even in manual mode mine shifts at 6700

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
How did you switch to this eurodyne tcu tune set for 7200 rpm? Does it auto upshift? Im getting tired of my eurodyne stage 3 tune shifting at 6700 rpm and constantly double shifting if I get too close to that redline. Is there some kind of update you did to see this revised tune? Even in manual mode mine shifts at 6700

You have to email Tapp directly for it. Make sure to include your DSG box code. Makes it more likely that he will respond. Took around 6 weeks for me, but it was right before the AirTap release and he told me it would be a 2-3 weeks. I gave him 4 weeks just to be safe. I usually email once, follow up a week later.

Yes it does auto upshift. Usually between 7100-7200RPM (closer to 7100rpm from my logs; my regular Stage 3 auto upshifted around 6900rpm). The EQT tune is 7400RPM and you can request to turn off auto upshift in manual mode. I still shift around 7000-7200rpm, but the motor is definitely making good power past 7200rpm. 7400rpm is probably pushing it on a stock head. Looks like you don't have to worry about that one. You can try and make a request to increase the limit or remove auto upshift in manual mode since you have a built motor and head. I have a feeling Tapp would do that for you.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
You have to email Tapp directly for it. Make sure to include your DSG box code. Makes it more likely that he will respond. Took around 6 weeks for me, but it was right before the AirTap release and he told me it would be a 2-3 weeks. I gave him 4 weeks just to be safe. I usually email once, follow up a week later.

Yes it does auto upshift. Usually between 7100-7200RPM (closer to 7100rpm from my logs; my regular Stage 3 auto upshifted around 6900rpm). The EQT tune is 7400RPM and you can request to turn off auto upshift in manual mode. I still shift around 7000-7200rpm, but the motor is definitely making good power past 7200rpm. 7400rpm is probably pushing it on a stock head. Looks like you don't have to worry about that one. You can try and make a request to increase the limit or remove auto upshift in manual mode since you have a built motor and head. I have a feeling Tapp would do that for you.
I messaged him about this about 6 months ago and he plainly said i don't do custom tcu tunes and had no interest in helping. He said there might be an update to download but I couldn't figure out where that would be and how to download it

mw1978

Ready to race!

great info!
I’m thinking to jump into Cobb world but maybe first try eqt dsg.
have you got any dsg datalog with Eurodyne TCU and now with eqt???

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
I messaged him about this about 6 months ago and he plainly said i don't do custom tcu tunes and had no interest in helping. He said there might be an update to download but I couldn't figure out where that would be and how to download it

I would try to email again. Start a new message. The 7200rpm variant exists but no others that I know of (although I am sure he has created some one offs). It only needs the box code changed for your trans. Let him know your setup. I am sure he will get it uploaded if he knows you "need" the extra RPM.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I would try to email again. Start a new message. The 7200rpm variant exists but no others that I know of (although I am sure he has created some one offs). It only needs the box code changed for your trans. Let him know your setup. I am sure he will get it uploaded if he knows you "need" the extra RPM.
I messaged him earlier today in a new email. He asked for the VIN so I gave that to him and we'll see what he says. Ill definitely update here.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
I messaged him earlier today in a new email. He asked for the VIN so I gave that to him and we'll see what he says. Ill definitely update here.

If he responds, that is a good sign you are on the right track.

RTFM

Ready to race!
Just received Cobb AP in the mail, how do you unmarry Eurodyne from the car?
On the flashing menu, you should have the ability to flash the original file, which Eurodyne stores on a server.