GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Euro MIB II 8" glass screen

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Hi guys, I have a 2019 GTI but looking to upgrade the radio to the 8” I found a disclaimer that says:
IMPORTANT: the vehicle must have the memory card entry inside the glove compartment.
Odd enough I don’t have the memory card accessory on my glove box. Any advice?

Drys

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'15 GSW TDI
if you have mib1 you will need to upgrade to an MIB2 infotainment brain. The DIY section has a really thorough how-to, consisting of multiple users experiences. In short, brain, screen, and the usb connector with appropriate wiring are needed. You can get these used from various channels (ebay, here in the classifieds, etc). Then you have to get someone who's experienced with the coding bit to remove the component protection and reinstall the appropriate software bits (including carplay!). All in, it's doable for well under $1k if you're patient.
That’s just too overwhelming for a simple knob like me lol.

It’s not possible to upgrade the brain but leave the MIB1 screen? Not even the RCD330? Or just take the brain completely out and use only the RCD330? I don’t know the compatibility with that system but seems like a popular upgrade for ‘14 models to get CarPlay.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32

It’s not possible to upgrade the brain but leave the MIB1 screen? Not even the RCD330? Or just take the brain completely out and use only the RCD330? I don’t know the compatibility with that system but seems like a popular upgrade for ‘14 models to get CarPlay.
I don't think that RCD330 thing works on MK7's.

If you want carplay in a 2015 you basically have 3 options.
1) Do it yourself the proper way as sprinks outlined
2) pay an arm and a leg to Eurozone Tuning for a plug-and-play kit
3) ditch the factory setup and go full aftermarket

I second the recommendation to read the retrofit thread, there is lots of good info in there and it's not hard. Only overwhelming if you tell yourself it is.

Shmito_R

Go Kart Champion
Just a 10 minutes job, the MIB1 converter connected to the screen, removed a small notch on the 4 pin's cable at the back of the display. Ain't it beautyfull......View attachment 178245View attachment 178246

Hey can you confirm this worked for you? I’m interested in getting the 8inch glass display and want to hook it up to my 2015 golf r mib1 brain. I want to eventually swap completely to a mib2 brain but want to source all the parts and make sure I have someone lined up to code fec and remove cp. wanted a temporary solution till that happens. Saw that you did the switch, was it literally plug and play after shaving the notch? Super interested in this!

Dr.Ed

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, works like a champ! Super easy 10 minutes job. The 8" glass screen has a fine resolution and a sharp, crispy image! The build quality of the convertor is very good. Only the app button has no function....

F1fletch

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Rabbit GTI
I have a 18 GTI Rabbit and I would love to switch to an upgraded head unit with glass display (I have no CD player) so I am not sure it can be swapped?

uranorab8

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I have a 18 GTI Rabbit and I would love to switch to an upgraded head unit with glass display (I have no CD player) so I am not sure it can be swapped?

Hi fellow Rabbit, I just upgraded my composition 6.5" to the 8" glass. Here's a great write up for our exact model:
DIY MIB2 Infotainment Conversion into 2018 "S" Models

Also here's a pic of my install, It really gives the interior a much more updated feel.
07290FDC-ACF5-4490-9E86-47B654B0CD44.JPG

Last edited:

Golf17AT

Car(s)
2017 Golf Alltrack S
Will the 8" from a 18 atlas work in my 17 alltrack? The part number looks right, since i don't have nav (5G6919605C)
but i do have MIB2 does the newer screen require 2.5 or will i be OK?

Golf17AT

Car(s)
2017 Golf Alltrack S
Yep. It's what i have on my 16 GTI.
I ended up getting one from a tiguan hopefully it will work, looks to be the same model number but all the fitment says 2018 goif, i assume that means due to the trim? Is my 17 MIB2 correct?
ALSO will this effect my Sirius XM or is that tied to the brain?
Thanks!

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
I ended up getting one from a tiguan hopefully it will work, looks to be the same model number but all the fitment says 2018 goif, i assume that means due to the trim? Is my 17 MIB2 correct?
ALSO will this effect my Sirius XM or is that tied to the brain?
Thanks!

Worked fine on mine. As long as you have the trim it will be fine.
'
Good luck!

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion

Since you mentioned it, there is an RCD330 system that is out there for the mk7, but it would remove the brain entirely, and you'll need to follow a forum like rcd330+ for more specific support. Certainly an option for those with mib1 who don't want to go all in on an mib2 setup.