GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Euro Head Light switches - Genuine vs. eBay...

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Hi..

I'm in the market for a European headlight switch for my Alltrack, and was wondering what the fundamental differences are between a genuine VW unit that sell for around 100.00, vs. the one's on eBay that sell for 30.00. Just wanted some feedback before I pull the trigger..

That said, if anyone has one they'd like to sell, please PM me a price shipped to 37067

Thanks!

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'm running a euro switch that I got for like 30 bucks somewhere. When it got it, it had VW labels on it? It looked like it was a VW switch from the China market?. Anyway. Functionally perfect. The only draw back I noticed is that the click (detent?) when it goes in to position was noticeably softer than stock. I got used to the difference in the switch in like a week.

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
I have an Aliexpress switch that had legit VW part numbers on it. I also noticed the slight difference in the detent as Zumble did, but I paid less than $25 shipped and it's been on my car for at least 40k with no problems.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
I think some might have a red backlight and others have a white one. I think I have a Chinese OEM model that has a white backlight. I've seen red ones occasionally on here but I'm not sure what exact model they are.

I also think the cheaper ones have more of a 'chrome-y' finish on that little trim piece instead of the brushed silver on the steering wheels.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I got a Chinese market VW OEM originally and found the build quality to be lacking, especially with light leakage between the seams. Exchanged it for one manufactured in Spain and the build quality is much better. Wouldn't recommend the Chinese ones even if they're the "same" theoretically.

Attachments

• IMG_9082.jpeg
    IMG_9082.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I got a Chinese market VW OEM originally and found the build quality to be lacking, especially with light leakage between the seams. Exchanged it for one manufactured in Spain and the build quality is much better. Wouldn't recommend the Chinese ones even if they're the "same" theoretically.
How do you determine where it is manufactured before purchase?

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for all the info.. Now the search is on for the Euro switch WITHOUT the 'Auto' position, since my base Alltrack doesn't have auto headlights.. Gonna post a WTB thread for part number 5G0941431BFWZU and wait for all the dildo's PM'ing me to email their 'friend' who supposedly has one... Ugg...

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
Plug and play for me, I do have a "databus missing" error or something along those lines but I don't know if it was something I did screwing around with obd11 that I didnt fix. Everything works as it should and the error is only when it's scanned so whatever