GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ethanol content gauges/kits

1jzlive

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello my peeps, Ive realized on our cars fuel gauge /quantity on fill up isnt the most accuarate, So when some of us are running e30/e40 mixture we could be a little off. So none the less a ethanol content gauge helps. Im looking to buy an aeroforce gauge as it is one gauge but can read a ron of parameters :actual boost,a/f ratio,IAT, knock etc and ETHANOL Gauge ,thing is it reads of obd2 port using vag protocol , what ethanol sensors do you guys have?(not gauges) i want to know how i would get these two to function together BECAUSE THE GAUGE READS OF THE OBD2 PORT hence why im kind of confused how will it pick it up unless the sensor intwines with the ecu ,and if possible please post a link to your ethanol sensor kit. Not gauge Thanks my PEOPLE!

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
I've been using the Fuel It setup as well. Seems to work well and should integrate into Cobb flex fuel when Cobb is ready.

cr_sti

Go Kart Newbie
should integrate into Cobb flex fuel when Cobb is ready.

Curious, what leads you to believe this?

Cobb's other implementations aren't over bluetooth, so the $39 sensor may be reused, but the far more expensive "Fuel-IT" bluetooth dongle wouldn't be.

I've seen nothing for the mk7 platform, so may be way off; just speculation based on other platforms integration.

edit - and to not completely threadjack - there's no flex-fuel/ethanol sensor that integrates into the cars OBD/CANbus yet. That Aeroforce gauge won't be able to report ethanol content via the obd2 port.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Cheapest gauge + sensor (Continental) kit I could find. 2-wire hookup (ignition power and ground) if you don't use the dimmer.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Innovate-MTX-D-Ethanol-Content-Fuel-Temp-Complete-Gauge-Kit-3904/301948569138?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It has a 5volt output to tie into an external device.

jonnyg

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Curious, what leads you to believe this?

Cobb's other implementations arn't over bluetooth, so the $39 sensor may be reused, but the far more expensive "Fuel-IT" bluetooth dongle wouldn't be.

I've seen nothing for the mk7 platform, so may be way off; just speculation based on other platforms integration.

You can get Fuel-it ECAs with either 0-5V or the native sensor 50-150Hz as outputs in addition to BT capability, depends on which ECA option you select.

Cheapest gauge + sensor (Continental) kit I could find. 2-wire hookup (ignition power and ground) if you don't use the dimmer.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Innovate-MTX-D-Ethanol-Content-Fuel-Temp-Complete-Gauge-Kit-3904/301948569138?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Nice, I just ordered a Zeitronix ECA and Conti/GM sensor on ebay and am going to put it in same cubby location.
Did you have to secure the sensor or its good enough to be held in place by the fuel line?

Last edited:

Dragk913

Go Kart Newbie

pieguy

Ready to race!
Did you have to buy new fuel line or did you just cut the existing and toss on the ethanol sensor from the kit?

Better to use push lock fittings

Stock fuel line is 5/16 or AN-5, PR's new fuel line kit is AN-6.

jonnyg

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Hello my peeps, Ive realized on our cars fuel gauge /quantity on fill up isnt the most accuarate, So when some of us are running e30/e40 mixture we could be a little off. So none the less a ethanol content gauge helps. Im looking to buy an aeroforce gauge as it is one gauge but can read a ron of parameters :actual boost,a/f ratio,IAT, knock etc and ETHANOL Gauge ,thing is it reads of obd2 port using vag protocol , what ethanol sensors do you guys have?(not gauges) i want to know how i would get these two to function together BECAUSE THE GAUGE READS OF THE OBD2 PORT hence why im kind of confused how will it pick it up unless the sensor intwines with the ecu ,and if possible please post a link to your ethanol sensor kit. Not gauge Thanks my PEOPLE!

You wont be able to integrate/read ethanol percentage from OBD2 unless you have a tuner that installs/enables it like UM.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Did you have to buy new fuel line or did you just cut the existing and toss on the ethanol sensor from the kit?

You can do either, I opted to buy a new line so that I can return my car to stock if I wanted to. You only need like a 12" length which is like $6.

I forgot to mention that the Innovate kit does not come with quick disconnects. I used these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E35WJW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I believe they are 3/8" hardline side and 5/16" barb side.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes

pieguy

Ready to race!

vw671

Autocross Newbie

The Innovate and Fuel-it kits both use the same Continental sensor:
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-sensor-13577429