GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Esso Supreme+ 93

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
This is a shoutout to Esso for producing the best fuel I have run in any of my GTIs. A couple local stations in the Hamilton, ON area started carrying 93 so I ran a back-to-back test between Shell 91, Esso 93, and Petro 94. Although this is purely subjective, I can absolutely say the car ran best on Esso 93. Stock ECU / TCU, unmodified 2019 GTI Rabbit DSG. I ran a full tank of Shell 91, then a full tank of Esso 93, then a full tank of Petro 94, and back to Esso 93 after to confirm (since the car performed noticeably better on that fuel); Same roads, same driving, with similar weather conditions & temperature. I wish I had data logging capability to quantify what I felt, but throttle response and low-end torque felt best on Esso 93 - even after switching back from Petro 94. If anyone out there has had a similar experience, please share. I am interested in any comparison testing, whether it be subjective, data logged, or dyno.

Last edited:

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Appreciate the feedback. Is one higher than the other? I am trying to understand why the car seems to feel better on Esso 93 over both Shell 91 and Petro 94.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
That will be very interesting to test it here in BC if it ever makes its way here

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I'm tuned for 94 - I'll fill up a quarter tank on 93 and monitor knock - see what happens. I can post logs of both.

RobertJG25

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
Appreciate the feedback. Is one higher than the other? I am trying to understand why the car seems to feel better on Esso 93 over both Shell 91 and Petro 94.

Esso 93 would be better than Shell 91 because you would have less timing being pulled, however compared to 94 it should be worse.

Personally I find my engine runs smoother when idling or accelerating with a 0% ethanol 91 rather than 5-10% 91, but I don't know if smoothness is translating to more/less power

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Shell 91 is no longer e0, it's now ~E10. Additionally, there is now a Shell 93 popping up all over the place, also E10. The days of E0 fuel are behind us.

I mixed corn last year- bought 2 ea 30 Gal cans of E99 (yeah, I tested it) from a 3rd party seller of a guy out of London area.

It was a bit of a PITA, when all was said and done. I'm driving 122 kms each day to commute. I'm wanting to land at the station as close to empty as possible so that my carefully measured out gascan was the right amount of percentage of ethanol. I'd hypermile to land at the right kind of station with my thirstier 400 km/tank car.... I paid a premium to drive like a vag .... in hindsight, adjusting the tune for that specific mix was really silly.

I wish we could get 100 Octane E40 (3.7 gallons of E99 and 7.3 gallons of Ultra 94) at the pump. I'd do that in a heart beat.