GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Error Start-Stop System, Auto Hold, Electric Brake & ACC

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Battery is from new so will be getting on 5 years old.
They said the Recharge was showing because I had only drove a few miles that day.
I did ask about having it scanned but he said it would just show the same errors that are displayed in the car.
If I get it scanned would that give a definitive answer?

These batteries are listed as likely needing replacing around the 4-5 year mark. The battery from my 2014 is the original too, and that's still going, so it's not always the case.

It's quite common to see these faults in the event of the battery struggling to cope.

Scanning with dealer level tools (ODIS, VCDS, or OBD11) will identify the specific cause for the faults, which you'll probably find is related to voltage.

Failing that, my next best guess is an ABS sensor, but scanning will identify that.

Jon2

Ready to race!
I've been getting a Start/Stop Error on my 2013 1.4TSI which has just clicked over 30k miles. I've had the car since April 2015 when it had just 4047 miles. The battery is the original and I've suspected the issue is related to its age. I live on a tiny island and generally only drive the 8 miles round trip to work, and pop to the shop a mile away. I've just returned from a week south which has included a 450+mile drive over 8hrs, and a return trip split over two days. I'd hoped it would give the battery a good charge cycle, but I'm still getting the error displaying. It does it on start-up and after a few miles I can turn the engine off and restart and the error goes until the next day. The EPC light also displays until I've 'reset' the error with a restart. Every now and again the Engine Management light illuminates along with the EPC light if I haven't done a restart and come back to the car having left it without removing the EPC light beforehand. I had my friend hook up a diagnostic thingamabob and it shows 004BCC, whatever the Devil that is. Certainly ain't English.

PS: I did reply on a similar topic a few weeks ago but can't find the thread now.

PPS: Whilst down south I had a Tyre Pressure warning which I cancelled upon giving the tyres a cursory look and deemed they all looked fine to me. No new warnings since.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I've been getting a Start/Stop Error on my 2013 1.4TSI which has just clicked over 30k miles. I've had the car since April 2015 when it had just 4047 miles. The battery is the original and I've suspected the issue is related to its age. I live on a tiny island and generally only drive the 8 miles round trip to work, and pop to the shop a mile away. I've just returned from a week south which has included a 450+mile drive over 8hrs, and a return trip split over two days. I'd hoped it would give the battery a good charge cycle, but I'm still getting the error displaying. It does it on start-up and after a few miles I can turn the engine off and restart and the error goes until the next day. The EPC light also displays until I've 'reset' the error with a restart. Every now and again the Engine Management light illuminates along with the EPC light if I haven't done a restart and come back to the car having left it without removing the EPC light beforehand. I had my friend hook up a diagnostic thingamabob and it shows 004BCC, whatever the Devil that is. Certainly ain't English.

PS: I did reply on a similar topic a few weeks ago but can't find the thread now.

PPS: Whilst down south I had a Tyre Pressure warning which I cancelled upon giving the tyres a cursory look and deemed they all looked fine to me. No new warnings since.

Needs to be scanned with VCDS or equivalent to diagnose, really.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I had my friend hook up a diagnostic thingamabob and it shows 004BCC, whatever the Devil that is. Certainly ain't English.

That fault code is meaningless & must be specific to that code reader & not a universal one...& I would double check the tyre pressures just in case...

& 5yrs old on these cars on the factory battery...wow you are lucky!!...as VW fit the smallest capacity they can get away with & they usually fail before that...

proton

Ready to race!

Yep, that was a thread I started. Had the stop-start error, engine management light & lumpy idling, slight misfire when started from cold. Took it for a new battery a couple of weeks ago as the evidence suggested it, they reported it at 40% and a bit low on voltage. It's been perfect since.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
Just consider yourselves lucky in the UK, with its temperate climate. 5yrs is outstanding. In most places in the US, with typically scorching summers and freeze your balls off winters, 2-3 yrs is the best you can really expect.

Jon2

Ready to race!
Thanks chaps, I'll see how things progress and get the battery replaced when it becomes more problematic.

Jon2

Ready to race!
I've been getting a Start/Stop Error on my 2013 1.4TSI which has just clicked over 30k miles. I've had the car since April 2015 when it had just 4047 miles. The battery is the original and I've suspected the issue is related to its age. I live on a tiny island and generally only drive the 8 miles round trip to work, and pop to the shop a mile away. I've just returned from a week south which has included a 450+mile drive over 8hrs, and a return trip split over two days. I'd hoped it would give the battery a good charge cycle, but I'm still getting the error displaying. It does it on start-up and after a few miles I can turn the engine off and restart and the error goes until the next day. The EPC light also displays until I've 'reset' the error with a restart. Every now and again the Engine Management light illuminates along with the EPC light if I haven't done a restart and come back to the car having left it without removing the EPC light beforehand. I had my friend hook up a diagnostic thingamabob and it shows 004BCC, the Devil that is. Certainly ain't English.

So I had the car serviced today at 31,500 odd miles and the battery is absolutely fine according to the garage, but they couldn't get a recognisable code during the service, so told me to keep an eye on it over the next few days and if it returned then they'll give me a car for a few days while they investigate it further. Anyway, I jumped in the car and fired it up, and the error returned, so I popped my head back into the service area and the chap came out and connected the diagnostics. Came back as a fault with the turbo system. Firstly..... SHIT! Secondly... What the heck has the Start-Stop System got to do with the turbo? Surely the error showing on the screen should be associated with the turbo? And if it is an issue with the turbo system, why does that affect the Start-Stop system? It's like me having a headache that affects my feet. Bloody modern cars, eh? One of my classic cars is 87-years-old. I can't imagine anything built today will last anywhere near half that age.

Engineer90

Ready to race!
What the heck has the Start-Stop System got to do with the turbo? Surely the error showing on the screen should be associated with the turbo? And if it is an issue with the turbo system, why does that affect the Start-Stop system? It's like me having a headache that affects my feet. Bloody modern cars, eh? One of my classic cars is 87-years-old. I can't imagine anything built today will last anywhere near half that age.

I've said it in forums before and people think I'm crazy, but all of these start-stop systems and other complex electric parts will have a huge impact on reliability!

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
So I had the car serviced today at 31,500 odd miles and the battery is absolutely fine according to the garage, but they couldn't get a recognisable code during the service, so told me to keep an eye on it over the next few days and if it returned then they'll give me a car for a few days while they investigate it further. Anyway, I jumped in the car and fired it up, and the error returned, so I popped my head back into the service area and the chap came out and connected the diagnostics. Came back as a fault with the turbo system. Firstly..... SHIT! Secondly... What the heck has the Start-Stop System got to do with the turbo? Surely the error showing on the screen should be associated with the turbo? And if it is an issue with the turbo system, why does that affect the Start-Stop system? It's like me having a headache that affects my feet. Bloody modern cars, eh? One of my classic cars is 87-years-old. I can't imagine anything built today will last anywhere near half that age.

Tons of data points get taken into account when dealing with whether to stop the engine or not. Did they give you the full output?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion

Jon:I agree that the relationship between the "turbo system" and SS is tenuous, but the reality is that both are linked via the ECU (engine control unit (j623), which lives @ address hex01 on the mk7 CAN bus). The full list of control modules that are involved in making the SS decision to turn OFF/ON the engine goes like this:

J104 - ABS control unit
J285 - Control unit with display in dash panel insert
J255 - Climatronic control unit
J367 - Battery monitor control unit with battery sensor
J393 - Convenience system central control unit
J500 - Power steering control unit
J533 - Data bus diagnostic interface
J519 - Onboard supply control unit
J623 - Engine control unit
J743 - Mechatronic unit for dual clutch gearbox (DSG only)
J791 - Control unit for parallel parking assist

All dialogue between the control modules above happen over the mk7's CAN buses (there are 6 of these). As you can see - it ain't a simple system.

So, it would be interesting to find-out exactly what the "chap" from the "service area" actually meant by identifying "the Turbo system" (because this simple term could mean many things)!

Don

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
I have the same issue on my May 2013 GT and it's happening on a daily basis.

My VW dealer highlighted it last week when it went in for a MOT & Major Service but they wanted their standard £60 fee to diagnose.

I'll run it through VCDS on Saturday. Here's to hoping it is something as simple as a battery change.

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
Double post alert.

My battery is showing 11.7v via the VW Connect App so I'm guessing we've found the culprit...

VW dealer wants £288.18 to supply, fit and adapt the Battery Control Module. *

I have VCDS but not an OBD2 Memory Saver so I might just let them do it.

*ECO Battery is £202.12.

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
Triple post alert.

@golfdave, @IWMTom & @DV52, hopefully I can pick your brains.

The Golf went into my local VW dealership yesterday and had the original battery replaced with an OEM/Varta AGM unit.
When I returned home, I grabbed the VCDS cable and checked that the BEM adaptation had been done and it had. (Serial/Manufacturer/Capacity all matched what was written on the new battery).

I’m getting readings of 14.9v when running and 12.7v when not. (Isn’t 14.9v quite high?).

On my commute this morning, much to my disappointment, I still had the intermittent issues with ACC, SS, Park Assist and other modules.

Can I private message you a copy of the scan report I ran last night before go back to VW and cough up £60 for them just to diagnose it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.