GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT vs Sneekytune ecu tune and EQT vs Stratified dsg tune

noluck289

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Mk7 gti
I have a 2017 gti dsg. Current mods list is cts catless downpipe, ARM fmic, ie v2 intake. I was stuck between what stage 2 tune I wanted to choose and after lots of research I ended up with 2 options in EQT and sneekytune. I saw lots of arguments between which one was better so me being me I just bought both to make sure I was getting the right one. Now before getting into my thoughts on the 2 tunes I would like to say I drove both of these for a month on both dsg tunes that I bought but more on those later.

EQT tune: I found this tune to be way more refined for it just being a off the shelf tune. It seemed like the throttle response and boost curve was very linear almost to the point where it just felt stock but with more power. According to the cobb relative manifold pressure or whatever it is max boost would be 28 psi at wot pulls.

Sneekytune: Felt very aggressive. From a stop the car would just want to go with very little throttle. Peak boost on this tune reached 27 psi on the cobb gauges. For whatever reason this tune always seemed more fun. I think this is because like previously mentioned the car always wanted to go and i’m unsure why that is but I liked it.

Now onto the dsg tunes. I had originally purchased the eqt dsg tune and planned on sticking with it but after using it for awhile I ran into some problems. After looking at other dsg tunes on the market I ended up purchasing stratifieds dsg tune.

EQT dsg: Normal mode is great on this tune. Car drives exactly how I would want it to drive. In stock form normal mode was pretty much unusable, the car always felt slow and boring, but with the eqt tune it was great and actually found myself using normal mode on long drives. Sport mode was extremely aggressive. The car pretty much always wanted to be at 3,500rmp and up. Downshift were very early and aggressive but kept you in the power band perfectly. This tune made me want to drive fast all the time. Now to the problems with this tune. There is multiple times where this tune is fighting between 2nd and third gear. The shift points when not driving hard is normally at 4,000 rpm and often I would get stuck in a loop where the tune bounces between upshifting at that 4,000 rpm mark and downshifting right after.

Stratified dsg: Comparing this to eqt’s tune almost seems unfair. It seems like these two tunes were made to accomplish different things. Where EQT is aggressive Stratified is calm and controlled. Normal mode felt very similar to EQT’s. It was drivable and 1000 times better then stock so good on stratified there. Where this tune let me down was sport mode. Sport mode almost felt like stock sport mode. Car would hold gears longer but not aggressively. Downshifts were slightly earlier then stock but not by a large margin. This tune was not meant to be a drive your car hard every second tune. It was meant to be “we took your stock tune and made it better” and they did exactly that. This tune is extremely dailyable. They found a perfect middle ground between a comfortable sport mode and a aggressive sport mode when you want it. This tune was never searching for what gear to be in it was always in the right place.

Conclusion: After driving these tunes for a month I decided to go full EQT. My reasoning behind this was because I liked the refined nature of the EQT ecu tune. The sneekytune felt like it needed to be smoother which was a problem for me. The harder decision was picking between the stratified and EQT dsg tune. I really really liked how smooth stratified was. Felt like the car was stock but you could push it and the transmission would do what you needed it to do. My problem came down to how much I loved how aggressive EQT’s dsg tune was. Holding the gears so long was great and it made me want to drive the car fast. All and all these are great tunes and I recommend trying them all if you can. This was all just my opinion and yours might be different.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I have a 2017 gti dsg. Current mods list is cts catless downpipe, ARM fmic, ie v2 intake. I was stuck between what stage 2 tune I wanted to choose and after lots of research I ended up with 2 options in EQT and sneekytune. I saw lots of arguments between which one was better so me being me I just bought both to make sure I was getting the right one. Now before getting into my thoughts on the 2 tunes I would like to say I drove both of these for a month on both dsg tunes that I bought but more on those later.

EQT tune: I found this tune to be way more refined for it just being a off the shelf tune. It seemed like the throttle response and boost curve was very linear almost to the point where it just felt stock but with more power. According to the cobb relative manifold pressure or whatever it is max boost would be 28 psi at wot pulls.

Sneekytune: Felt very aggressive. From a stop the car would just want to go with very little throttle. Peak boost on this tune reached 27 psi on the cobb gauges. For whatever reason this tune always seemed more fun. I think this is because like previously mentioned the car always wanted to go and i’m unsure why that is but I liked it.

Now onto the dsg tunes. I had originally purchased the eqt dsg tune and planned on sticking with it but after using it for awhile I ran into some problems. After looking at other dsg tunes on the market I ended up purchasing stratifieds dsg tune.

EQT dsg: Normal mode is great on this tune. Car drives exactly how I would want it to drive. In stock form normal mode was pretty much unusable, the car always felt slow and boring, but with the eqt tune it was great and actually found myself using normal mode on long drives. Sport mode was extremely aggressive. The car pretty much always wanted to be at 3,500rmp and up. Downshift were very early and aggressive but kept you in the power band perfectly. This tune made me want to drive fast all the time. Now to the problems with this tune. There is multiple times where this tune is fighting between 2nd and third gear. The shift points when not driving hard is normally at 4,000 rpm and often I would get stuck in a loop where the tune bounces between upshifting at that 4,000 rpm mark and downshifting right after.

Stratified dsg: Comparing this to eqt’s tune almost seems unfair. It seems like these two tunes were made to accomplish different things. Where EQT is aggressive Stratified is calm and controlled. Normal mode felt very similar to EQT’s. It was drivable and 1000 times better then stock so good on stratified there. Where this tune let me down was sport mode. Sport mode almost felt like stock sport mode. Car would hold gears longer but not aggressively. Downshifts were slightly earlier then stock but not by a large margin. This tune was not meant to be a drive your car hard every second tune. It was meant to be “we took your stock tune and made it better” and they did exactly that. This tune is extremely dailyable. They found a perfect middle ground between a comfortable sport mode and a aggressive sport mode when you want it. This tune was never searching for what gear to be in it was always in the right place.

Conclusion: After driving these tunes for a month I decided to go full EQT. My reasoning behind this was because I liked the refined nature of the EQT ecu tune. The sneekytune felt like it needed to be smoother which was a problem for me. The harder decision was picking between the stratified and EQT dsg tune. I really really liked how smooth stratified was. Felt like the car was stock but you could push it and the transmission would do what you needed it to do. My problem came down to how much I loved how aggressive EQT’s dsg tune was. Holding the gears so long was great and it made me want to drive the car fast. All and all these are great tunes and I recommend trying them all if you can. This was all just my opinion and yours might be different.

Thanks for the review.

Know what would be dope to go along with that?

Some logs of both so peot could see how they both run.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
If you are looking for a DSG tune that's less aggressive than EQT Drive and more aggressive than stock, try the Cobb Sport that came with your AP.

The thing I like best about the EQT Drive tune is the progressive clamping force.

noluck289

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Mk7 gti
Thanks for the review.

Know what would be dope to go along with that?

Some logs of both so peot could see how they both run.
I can try and get some logs of both of them. Not much into the technical side of how the tunes work but if it’s information that’ll help people make a choice i’d love to help.

noluck289

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Mk7 gti
If you are looking for a DSG tune that's less aggressive than EQT Drive and more aggressive than stock, try the Cobb Sport that came with your AP.

The thing I like best about the EQT Drive tune is the progressive clamping force.
Have not tried the cobb tunes due to people saying they’re just bad but i’ll give it a try. Would be nice to have a middle group between EQT and strat.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I can try and get some logs of both of them. Not much into the technical side of how the tunes work but if it’s information that’ll help people make a choice i’d love to help.

Download and put the EQT Log List on your Accessport.

https://eqtuning.com/apps/help-cent...ssport-why-does-it-not-let-me-start-logging-1

Go out, log a few pulls for each. 3rd gear, pedal to the floor at 2 - 2.5k rpms, and go as far as you comfortably can. Manual mode and let it shift on its own.

If you have enough space, can also do 2nd gear through 4th, with the same steps as above.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG

That Cobb Sport DSG tune searches like a MFer 2-3 at lower speeds. Drives me crazy, but haven’t been able to decide on what to do about DSG tune.