GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex XL Spark Plugs.

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Hello, guys. Im looking to finally make my EQT Vortex XL purchase and noticed EQT recommends 2 step colder plugs. The NGK plugs they recommend seem to be sold out and back ordered everywhere. I contacted them to see if I can run 1 step colder plugs since it's easier to find and more readily available. They suggested 2 step colder Denso IKH27 and Brisk ER10. So then I started searching in Forums about Spark Plugs and tunes. People are saying OEM is good enough just need to be changed more frequently, the RS7 Plugs have been updated they are good now, NGK ruthenium better idle like stock better cold start, and people saying run what the tuner recommends, all gapped .24 - .28.

I would be with what the Tuner recommends but has the tuner tested the spark plugs in colder environment like canada or US north east? I ask cause people have said they switched to 1 step colder plugs from 2 step, Because they have rough starts and idle when the weather gets colder. Since I live in NY this is good to know, which is why I'm leaning towards 1 step colder plugs. Maybe the tuner recommends 2 step cause it provides the most power and efficient for race situation. But if you also Daily drive it may not be optimal. I'm fine sacrificing some power with 2 step colder plugs to have a better daily driving experience. Just like I'm fine with street Suspension VS Race suspension. A Catted Downpipe VS Straight Pipe, etc. Just trying to find a Balance like my good friend Thanos.

Anyway, if you guys are running EQT Vortex standard or Vortex XL which Spark plugs are you currently Running? Does it give rough start and idle in colder climates? Have you switched to 1 step or stock plugs with no issues?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just stay with stock heat range Ruthenium plugs unless you're racing and I don't mean street racing.
EQT is starting to recommend them also and needs to update their website regarding colder plugs.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
I am currently running the recommended 7437-9s. Had been running the 7438-9s (recessed electrode variant). Swapped the 7437-9s in diagnosing a minor misfire issue (they were not the cause; it is a fuel evap system issue).

I have a set of Denso 5750s on deck (equivalent to NGK 7438-9s). I purchased them from FCP Euro so I can warranty them for a full refund minus shipping. I have had the best performance on pump and E85 with the higher end plugs. That being said, I have not tried the Ruthenium plugs. I am sure if EQT is recommending the Ruthenium plugs, they are more than worth it.

I live in Iowa and we have just as cold of temps over the winter. I ran full E85 until December with zero cold start or cranking issues. I have had no rough idle cold start issues due to plugs or coil packs. I have had rough idle & part throttle misfire issues because of a failed component in the evap system path. I think this is a super common cause of misfires and rough idle, but very rare to be accurately diagnosed.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I am currently running the recommended 7437-9s. Had been running the 7438-9s (recessed electrode variant). Swapped the 7437-9s in diagnosing a minor misfire issue (they were not the cause; it is a fuel evap system issue).

I have a set of Denso 5750s on deck. I purchased them from FCP Euro so I can warranty them for a full refund minus shipping. I have had the best performance on pump and E85 with the higher end plugs. That being said, I have not tried the Ruthenium plugs. I am sure if EQT is recommending the Ruthenium plugs, they are more than worth it.
EQT is now recommending the Ruthenium plugs.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
EQT is now recommending the Ruthenium plugs.
All good. Their official FAQ still recommends the NGKs. I am sticking with them because I have run them for 30K plus miles and have had excellent performance on stock turbo and my Vortex. And the fact that I won't have to pay for $160 spark plugs again (praying to the gods of supply chain lol).

https://eqtuning.com/apps/help-cent...ation-for-consumables-like-oil-or-spark-plugs

1619014612007.png

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
All good. Their official FAQ still recommends the NGKs. I am sticking with them because I have run them for 30K plus miles and have had excellent performance on stock turbo and my Vortex. And the fact that I won't have to pay for $160 spark plugs again (praying to the gods of supply chain lol).

https://eqtuning.com/apps/help-cent...ation-for-consumables-like-oil-or-spark-plugs

View attachment 211068
I know that's what the website still says but a few different guys having a tune problem were told by Ed to run the Ruthenium plugs. Those racing plugs cost $160 for a set and will do nothing but foul on a street driven car. I know because I did it. A street driven car doesn't generate the heat necessary to run 2 step colder plugs.

https://gensportunited.com/need-colder-spark-plugs/

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I had contacted them last night about Spark plugs this was the response.

Screenshot_20210421-103418.jpg

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
I know that's what the website still says but a few different guys having a tune problem were told by Ed to run the Ruthenium plugs. Those racing plugs cost $160 for a set and will do nothing but foul on a street driven car. I know because I did it. A street driven car doesn't generate the heat necessary to run 2 step colder plugs.

https://gensportunited.com/need-colder-spark-plugs/
Interesting. I haven't had any fouling issues over two sets of 7437-9s and one set of 7438-9s (and as I previously stated) over 30k miles. Wonder if that has been a widespread issue? I am a pretty tame driver. Must just give it the beans often enough to make a difference.

I also find it interesting that their response in the above post does not include the Ruthenium plugs. Again, as I previously stated, I am sure they are great plugs and will happily point to them if EQT makes the recommendation.

Last edited:

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I’m most likely going to switch to the Brisk ER10S since there are no NGKs available. Might start switching them at 5k too since they’re so cheap and I’ve seen too many broken off spark plug tips lately.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't run the Rutheniums on a big turbo e85 setup. They're stock heat range... I dunno why anyone would want to deal with the hassle and expense of that setup and not beat on it enough to warrant proper plugs. No offense but all I'm seeing is a guy saying other people said Ed said they were ok to run on "some" setup. I very much doubt EQT endorses running them on a setup like OP's.

I had no issues with the 7437-9s except that they're hard to find now. Bit of a waste to have ordered them from FCP. Brisk and Denso are fine, plugs are so easy on this car you might as well check them each oil change.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
I wouldn't run the Rutheniums on a big turbo e85 setup. They're stock heat range... I dunno why anyone would want to deal with the hassle and expense of that setup and not beat on it enough to warrant proper plugs. No offense but all I'm seeing is a guy saying other people said Ed said they were ok to run on "some" setup. I very much doubt EQT endorses running them on a setup like OP's.

I had no issues with the 7437-9s except that they're hard to find now. Bit of a waste to have ordered them from FCP. Brisk and Denso are fine, plugs are so easy on this car you might as well check them each oil change.
Haha this.

The responses to plugs recommended directly by EQT (with screen caps & actual links), were "good luck with either of those plugs" & "I know that's what the website still says but........."

Really lends credibility to his recommendation.