GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex Supporting mods?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
I'm eventually going to head down the path of the EQT Vortex XL and I'm trying to figure out what I need to upgrade and add to make sure it works safely and properly. I currently have (listed in my bio at the bottom) CTS Catted DP and Turbo inlet tube, IE V2 Intake, and a Dogbone mount+ insert. I know that this is nowhere near what I'll be needing and it's just a start. Im going to be putting in a Do88 intercooler come spring along with (hopefully) upgrade my feul system "APR Stage 3+ Fueling System Upgrade" (which I'm a bit lost on what's actually necessary and if that kit is what I need), get an rline oild cooler, catch can, and a ECS Aluminum Intake Manifold Kit. I know I'll need a lot more but I have no clue as to what that "alot more" needs to be. I'm also planning on getting an eqt custom tune with 3 feul up revisions to dial in that turbo. Any advice would be super helpful for this future build. I just got my is20 tuned with the EQT stage 2 tune and I'm loving it.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
No offense, but it sounds like you are about to spend a shit ton of money and don't have a good understanding of what your goals are or why you'd upgrade any of these parts. Half the parts you listed aren't mandatory even for an XL build and missing from your list are important supporting mods at that power level (mounts, etc.).

Start with power goal... what is it?
Fueling... what's the plan here?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
No offense, but it sounds like you are about to spend a shit ton of money and don't have a good understanding of what your goals are or why you'd upgrade any of these parts. Half the parts you listed aren't mandatory even for an XL build and missing from your list are important supporting mods at that power level (mounts, etc.).

Start with power goal... what is it?
Fueling... what's the plan here?
Thank you for this because you are correct. My power goal is around the 400-430whp range and I will be running 93.i can't find any e85 pumps within a reasonable driving distance from me so it has to be 93. And I understand they aren't mandatory but they help from my limited knowledge lol. I also am looking into the ecs engine mount package to handle more power.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Thank you for this because you are correct. My power goal is around the 400-430whp range and I will be running 93.i can't find any e85 pumps within a reasonable driving distance from me so it has to be 93. And I understand they aren't mandatory but they help from my limited knowledge lol. I also am looking into the ecs engine mount package to handle more power.
Why bother with the XL then? Just do the standard housing on pump 93 with a HPFP (one fuel tune) and you'll make 430 WHP... No need for a different intake manifold, oil cooler (unless you're doing serious tracking), catch can, TIP, Intake, etc. Everyone has the intake mods, but they're noise makers only, I don't think there's anything to be gained there.

I don't have any experience with the ECS mounts, but the general consensus around this forum is the BFI mounts are the best.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
I’m in a similar boat but also track my car. Go with the standard vortex. If you start pushing past 450wheel your bills will rapidly grow.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Why bother with the XL then? Just do the standard housing on pump 93 with a HPFP (one fuel tune) and you'll make 430 WHP... No need for a different intake manifold, oil cooler (unless you're doing serious tracking), catch can, TIP, Intake, etc. Everyone has the intake mods, but they're noise makers only, I don't think there's anything to be gained there.

I don't have any experience with the ECS mounts, but the general consensus around this forum is the BFI mounts are the best.
Ooo okay. To be honest I was saying 430 as a conservative number because I have no clue what these platforms are capable of without being "built" (actually replacing engine internals). My dream power goal is closer to the 500 mark but idk how realistic that is. And bfi are the best? Good to know!

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

Also any suggestions on a hpfp? Would I also need to upgrade spark plugs, coil packs, and injectors?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Also any suggestions on a hpfp? Would I also need to upgrade spark plugs, coil packs, and injectors?
Autotech internals for the HPFP. Yes, you'll need colder spark plugs. No change on coilpacks or injectors if you're staying with 93.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Autotech internals for the HPFP. Yes, you'll need colder spark plugs. No change on coilpacks or injectors if you're staying with 93.
Would that hpfp be at all beneficial currently with my is20 eqs stage 2 tune? Lol. And yeah I live in Plainville mass and can't find a single e85 pump near me. I'd love to run it. Especially with the lower price on it but I can't find one.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Would that hpfp be at all beneficial currently with my is20 eqs stage 2 tune?
No benefit and you'd actually need a revision from EQT for $75 to use it with your stage 2 tune. People install and using them with 93 tunes to have the flexibility to use a different tune with E.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI