GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

aedwin191

Passed Driver's Ed
I think I would have to go with how much power/heat you are currently generating versus what the hybrid would bring. Also, how has maintenance been, any issues during the time the cars has been pushed? How hard too you drive it? My point, three are toomany variables to take into consideration. I go back to my initial post, can you afford to replace a motor if it takes a crap on you?

Do I think a Vortex tuned will be reliable, yes. I have been running my Vortex XL on pump for 30k miles with no issues. I don't burn oil, no lights on the dash, but I am about to replace my third set of tires so there's that.
I definitely agree there are a fair amount of variables to consider. I also acknowledge that you and @El_bigote_AJ bring up a very solid point that heat, power, boost, etc. will strain the motor and/or transmission more with a bigger turbo, even if that turbo in-and-of-itself may be more reliable. I will have to do some continued thinking about whether I should go down this rabbit hole considering the financial risks at hand. If anybody stumbles upon this thread who went hybrid at high-mileage, I would appreciate hearing how your firsthand experiences were with regards to reliability!

aedwin191

Passed Driver's Ed
I should add how did @aedwin191 maintain his car up to this point? I have always over maintained my car. I changed the oil at 1000 miles and then at 4000 miles and changed it every 4000 miles since then until hitting 100,000 miles and then switched to every 3000 miles. Changed the DSG fluid every 25,000 miles.
Although my maintenance schedule is not to the caliber of yours, I do take good care of my car and am very meticulous about addressing issues and preventing them as well. That being said, during ownership I have had very few issues with the motor that lead me to question how well it is running.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Although my maintenance schedule is not to the caliber of yours, I do take good care of my car and am very meticulous about addressing issues and preventing them as well. That being said, during ownership I have had very few issues with the motor that lead me to question how well it is running.
If you do go through with your plan I would definitely shorten the mileage between oil changes and other maintenance.
You just asked about reliability and a hybrid turbo. I have 131,000 miles and have been hybrid turbo the last 55,000 miles and my motor is very strong. It still doesn't use any oil between oil changes. But you saw how I took care of it since it was new. It was also tuned since 1000 miles.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
If you do go through with your plan I would definitely shorten the mileage between oil changes and other maintenance.
You just asked about reliability and a hybrid turbo. I have 131,000 miles and have been hybrid turbo the last 55,000 miles and my motor is very strong. It still doesn't use any oil between oil changes. But you saw how I took care of it since it was new. It was also tuned since 1000 miles.
Agree with Jim. I have swapped manual trans fluid twice, diff fluid twice, flushed brakes twice (60k miles on the car now), changed the oil at 1k and every 5k since. Proper maintenance will go a long way.

aedwin191

Passed Driver's Ed
Just to re-up and get some more thoughts, would going is38 instead of a hybrid preserve the motor any better? Assuming so on the basis that it wouldn't push as much power, heat, boost, etc., would its power gains stay within the realm of reliability that comes from my current e30 protune on the is20?

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Just to re-up and get some more thoughts, would going is38 instead of a hybrid preserve the motor any better? Assuming so on the basis that it wouldn't push as much power, heat, boost, etc., would its power gains stay within the realm of reliability that comes from my current e30 protune on the is20?
Thats kind of the assumption that I operated under. I wanted to get to around 400 without breaking the bank or possibly over stressing the engine. So it was standard IS38 running E48.

BippityBopMeUp

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Did not find a clear answer for this. If I have an upgraded HPFP and wanting to run a vortex standard turbo on 93 pump gas, would a LPFP be beneficial for me? How about upgrading the MAP or PUT sensors? Trying to decide best route to go so I don't spend too much money on mods that I probably won't need.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Did not find a clear answer for this. If I have an upgraded HPFP and wanting to run a vortex standard turbo on 93 pump gas, would a LPFP be beneficial for me? How about upgrading the MAP or PUT sensors? Trying to decide best route to go so I don't spend too much money on mods that I probably won't need.

No LPFP, PUT sensor only is fine because you're not going much over 30psi on pump anyway