GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Figured I would bump this thread instead of making a new one. I'm a long time reader of the forums but an infrequent poster. I'm looking to get the Vortex and install it this summer, and I would appreciate some advice from current owners based on their experiences. As of now, my car is roughly at 92k miles, and I am looking to drive it until it decides to quit (hopefully somewhere at or beyond 150k). Therefore, for me, reliability is a priority and I want to take that into consideration when upgrading to a bigger turbo setup. Nonetheless, I definitely would prefer the Vortex over an IS38 upgrade per GTI Jake's video comparing the two. Also, as a college student, cost is another big factor, so what would y'all recommend of the fueling setup I should run to maximize power, reliability, and cost? And what kind of power would you expect to see from that setup? I appreciate y'all letting me tap into your wealth of knowledge.
You can run stock fueling with the IS38 and if you have all bolt ons it should be about 360 HP. With the Vortex and bolt ons and just the HPFP internals you would be around 430 HP.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
If you decide to go that route, plan for $3,000 for a Vortex with actuator, custom EQT tune, and HPFP internals. Like Jim said, that'd get you somewhere around low 400's on pump 93/91. You can do that without the HPFP, but from what I've read it's highly recommended.

aedwin191

Passed Driver's Ed
100%….

Not to mention at almost 100k it’s not the time to start modding it with a bigger turbo when costs in a concern.
A bit too late for that haha. I should have mentioned I've been protuned with Stratified for the past 2.5 years on the stock turbo. The car is already FBO with a handful of other mods that I've slowly accumulated over my 5 years of ownership. Also, yes, reliability is a priority because of the car's high mileage. However I know Jim's car surely has some high miles, even with a TPC20. And if the Vortex is as dependable as people say it is, I feel as though I shouldn't be too concerned. However I do appreciate y'all's insight.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Patience is a virtue, wait till college is behind you. The question to ask yourself is, "Can I afford to slap another motor in my car if shit goes south?" The answer to that question will help guide you.

In response to your question, a vortex or XL will be plenty reliable and still provide decent power on pump with supporting mods. An HPFP is minimum to appreciate at least some of the potential out these turbo s. Good luck on your choice.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
Once you’re established you can do all the stupid stuff you want.

I’m throwing fueling and ethanol at a 150k mile motor, I know all about stupid stuff.

aedwin191

Passed Driver's Ed
Patience is a virtue, wait till college is behind you. The question to ask yourself is, "Can I afford to slap another motor in my car if shit goes south?" The answer to that question will help guide you.

In response to your question, a vortex or XL will be plenty reliable and still provide decent power on pump with supporting mods. An HPFP is minimum to appreciate at least some of the potential out these turbo s. Good luck on your choice.

Thank you for your input. I suppose it is therefore a good question worth asking: is a stock turbo with 90k miles running pump/E30 protunes more or less reliable than a conservatively tuned pump gas Vortex? Does anyone have an idea on this?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
A bit too late for that haha. I should have mentioned I've been protuned with Stratified for the past 2.5 years on the stock turbo. The car is already FBO with a handful of other mods that I've slowly accumulated over my 5 years of ownership. Also, yes, reliability is a priority because of the car's high mileage. However I know Jim's car surely has some high miles, even with a TPC20. And if the Vortex is as dependable as people say it is, I feel as though I shouldn't be too concerned. However I do appreciate y'all's insight.
Jim’s situation is a little different, he’s got crazy miles but over an extremely shortntime frame In respects to age of materials.

No one is say saying the vortex itself would be the issue, it’s the added wear and tear you are putting on a car that’s already at 100k

I get it, mod bug, the bug that hard to avoid so in that aspect… if you must do things that won’t increase wear and tear more than your existing tune does now to potentially open and can of financial worms.

Best question to ask before you start entering into hybrids and bigger power… should say something catastrophic were to having after after a short time post spending the money and time to do the turbo swap like say the motor or trans went, would it be an Impossible situation for you to get a used motor or trans and swap it out to get the car back on the road?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Thank you for your input. I suppose it is therefore a good question worth asking: is a stock turbo with 90k miles running pump/E30 protunes more or less reliable than a conservatively tuned pump gas Vortex? Does anyone have an idea on this?
Wear and tear JUST on the turbos alone yes the vortex would be more reliable… but you’re not seeing the bigger picture that with the added power, boost, heat will come with the added wear and tear on the engines components post turbo.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I think I would have to go with how much power/heat you are currently generating versus what the hybrid would bring. Also, how has maintenance been, any issues during the time the cars has been pushed? How hard too you drive it? My point, three are toomany variables to take into consideration. I go back to my initial post, can you afford to replace a motor if it takes a crap on you?

Do I think a Vortex tuned will be reliable, yes. I have been running my Vortex XL on pump for 30k miles with no issues. I don't burn oil, no lights on the dash, but I am about to replace my third set of tires so there's that.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Jim’s situation is a little different, he’s got crazy miles but over an extremely shortntime frame In respects to age of materials.

No one is say saying the vortex itself would be the issue, it’s the added wear and tear you are putting on a car that’s already at 100k

I get it, mod bug, the bug that hard to avoid so in that aspect… if you must do things that won’t increase wear and tear more than your existing tune does now to potentially open and can of financial worms.

Best question to ask before you start entering into hybrids and bigger power… should say something catastrophic were to having after after a short time post spending the money and time to do the turbo swap like say the motor or trans went, would it be an Impossible situation for you to get a used motor or trans and swap it out to get the car back on the road?
I should add how did @aedwin191 maintain his car up to this point? I have always over maintained my car. I changed the oil at 1000 miles and then at 4000 miles and changed it every 4000 miles since then until hitting 100,000 miles and then switched to every 3000 miles. Changed the DSG fluid every 25,000 miles.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion

Yup. I'm like 50 years old and until I had enough extra money, tools and knowhow to be able to just buy another engine (or even car) without caring too much, I didn't dare even go for a stock VW, let alone modifying one.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R