GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
That's movin'!

Had some issues with rev 3, so I'm on standby while Frank reviews.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

railroader

Autocross Newbie

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Hey guys! Just saw this thread. Happy to answer any questions.

FYI, our turbo is produced in Taiwan. We've been working with the same manufacturer for 5-6 years on other platforms and have a near perfect track record with them to date. They have excellent quality control and we are constantly working with them to improve design and control specs.

The main thing that separates our offering from other similar options on the market is the proprietary 71mm compressor wheel we use. We tested and designed this wheel combo years ago on other platforms. Comparing our 71mm billet wheel to the 68mm 20G wheel that others are offering, we found there was no loss of spool/response but a significant increase in overall power capacity (up to 50whp). The larger wheel also allows the turbo to be more efficient, keeping IAT's in check and contributing to better long term reliability.

Here's some data from a log in the first test Golf R. This is a 4th gear pull showing spool and very stable IAT's running 27-28psi to redline:

Our first batch sold out much quicker than expected, so we're about 3 weeks out on having these back in stock. We have a big order in place, so we should be good to go very soon!

Please let me know if you guys have any other questions.

Thanks
-- Ed

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
On Rev 4 with Frank - some of my issues are sorted out. He's trying to get it to spool like an IS38, which he can do, but it makes the partial throttle experience worse than I want. I can't offer any details on the method used to do this, just my qualitative thoughts. More revisions to come.

My IAT's reflect what Ed is showing above. I drop sub-ambient with the meth, and then it holds at 4-5*F over ambient towards the top of 4th.

What's really crazy is that it is pulling harder and harder as the RPM's go - it's a really weird feeling if you're used to the IS20 or IS38. It makes progressively more power as the RPM's go up, so my peak 'actual engine torque' is actually highest at 6500+ rpm lol. I'm sure that will change as we increase timing (it is still VERY safe at this point)...

TrinivdubOG

Go Kart Newbie
Good stuff....i may be jumping on board with this one as i unfortunately cancelled my order with VTT due to the overly long wait (requested refund yesterday, got full refund today as promised no hassle, stand up company).

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Rev 5 has addressed all of my driveability concerns. Frank has a few tricks in there that are seriously sweet... It doesn't feel like a big laggy turbo anymore, hitting full boost a few hundo rpm after full pedal. I would say it feels like driving an IS38+, but doesn't drop off at all up top. Ed has a great unit here... Seriously cool. I need to get a full 4th gear log to see when boost hits normally; Most of my runs so far have started at 70mph due to highway speeds.

Time to start adding power!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk