GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
In a few months I'll have experience running version 1 and 2. Getting my version 1 after almost 60,000 miles preemptively rebuilt and converted to the BB version 2. I requested the same size wheels so I could use my EQT dyno tune and not have to get a new tune because of the wheel size change. It costs $500 and includes a new oil feed line. So between the ball bearing and the Trackslag 4 "DP it should spool at approximately 3300 RPM.
I'll definitely be looking forward to that. Hope it works out for ya!

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
I thought about doing that and reached out to TPC. They wanted more to convert the turbo to the BB version than I paid for the JB version. Seems they also increased the size of the compressor wheel when going to the V2 so it's not just a simple CHRA swap.

The turbo I'm currently running has a BB CHRA...there are many factors at play that affect how quickly the turbo spools. The Vortex and the XL have no issue with spool despite being a journal bearing design.

A little background...I went from JB4 to Cobb to Eurodyne. I went from running 93 to e30 on Cobb with 5150, to 93/e60 with Mabo on while I was running is20. Went from the is20 to the mabotech is38 hybrid running 93 and meth. Put down 440whp/400wtq on that setup. I ended up pulling the meth because:
  1. I hated constantly watching the failsafe gauge because I was afraid that the pump might take a dump in the middle of a pull.
  2. The AEM meth pump took a dump.
  3. Running preturbo meth eroded my compressor wheel
Currently running e20 with the hybrid on stock fueling. Hitting 28psi at roughly 6000 rpm in 3rd (tuner regulated taper to 28). Seems I've reached the limit of the stock fueling (so I've been told).

If I were to do it all over again, I would have stuck with Cobb, and gone with EQT. I would have chosen their standard vortex and upgraded my LPFP and gone MPI at the same time. Heck, I might have been happy sticking with the is20 on their e85 tune.

And I'll leave you with this...I was able to get my TPC20 for $400; brand new never installed, including ceramic coated turbine housing, DV and waste gate actuator.
Thats crack head pricing for that turbo, did the person say why they were selling it if you remember?

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Thats crack head pricing for that turbo, did the person say why they were selling it if you remember?
His plans changed and will be getting rid of his MK7 once he can get his hands on the MK8R

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
I’m slowly piecing together my build sheet for next year. My goal is to achieve 420whp and 380-390wtq. 2018 Golf R- manual.This is my second car, but I would not like to have to worry about it breaking when I drive it. I formerly had a 420whp Evo IX and feared something would break every time I drove it. Please critique my plans and let me know what you think and/or should adjust:

Future Mods:
EQT Standard Vortex
Upgraded PUT sensor (29-30 psi is the max id like to run)
Auto tech HPFP
SB Stage 3 Clutch
Cobb AP
Custom Dyno Tune by Ed
MAP 3” Catted Downpipe
Stock Catback

Existing Mods:
AFE Intake
IE Turbo Inlet
Majesty Intercooler
APR Stage 1 Low Torque
Car has 33,xxx miles.

I will have the work performed by A2B Motorsports. Looking forward to November boost sale!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’m slowly piecing together my build sheet for next year. My goal is to achieve 420whp and 380-390wtq. 2018 Golf R- manual.This is my second car, but I would not like to have to worry about it breaking when I drive it. I formerly had a 420whp Evo IX and feared something would break every time I drove it. Please critique my plans and let me know what you think and/or should adjust:

Future Mods:
EQT Standard Vortex
Auto tech HPFP
SB Stage 3 Clutch
Cobb AP
Custom Dyno Tune by Ed
MAP 3” Catted Downpipe
Stock Catback

Existing Mods:
AFE Intake
IE Turbo Inlet
Majesty Intercooler
APR Stage 1 Low Torque
Car has 33,xxx miles.

I will have the work performed by A2B Motorsports. Looking forward to November boost sale!
With that turbo and the PUT sensor you'll be over 450 HP.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie

Future Mods:
EQT Standard Vortex
Auto tech HPFP
SB Stage 3 Clutch
Cobb AP
Custom Dyno Tune by Ed
MAP 3” Catted Downpipe
Stock Catback

Existing Mods:
AFE Intake
IE Turbo Inlet
Majesty Intercooler
APR Stage 1 Low Torque
Car has 33,xxx miles.

nice. i would skip the sensors & HPFP and add a LPFP and MPI. also which SB III clutch? daily is pretty resilient...but that's all my personal feeling. for the HP you currently want probably ok. remember once you have the additional power you will usually, at some point, want more. the LPFP and MPI will only help you in that regard. good luck!!

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
I dont like the idea of MPI. Seems less reliable than a simple HPFP upgrade and also substantially more expensive. I do not want to exceed 450whp. This is a 4 cylinder car, anything over that longterm is too risky. Ive played this game for decades, Subarus and 4g63's. 400-450 wheel is the sweet spot for 4 cylinder, try going much higher and things break.. atleast in my experience.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I don’t really see it being accurate with claiming one is more reliable that the other per say… the reference of mpi being unreliable Is not cause the system in general (it’s perfectly fine on oem euro models) but when you see people that have had issues it’s not cause the mpi is cause their some of the higher hp cars demanding excess fueling.

And I do get the argument for hpfp being less reliable just based on historical accounts - you def do see people with fail HPA and autotech units (could be install error on the autotech, but nevertheless you still seen the failures floating around)

In Regards to “skip” the sensor (PUT) I don’t agree esp with a pump gas car and limited timing - it’s a cheap part that will probably gain you 20 hp up top
Easily cause that extra 2 psi.

Also, wheel hp ain’t wrecking 4 bangers its the TQ…

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
I don’t really see it being accurate with claiming one is more reliable that the other per say… the reference of mpi being unreliable Is not cause the system in general (it’s perfectly fine on oem euro models) but when you see people that have had issues it’s not cause the mpi is cause their some of the higher hp cars demanding excess fueling.

And I do get the argument for hpfp being less reliable just based on historical accounts - you def do see people with fail HPA and autotech units (could be install error on the autotech, but nevertheless you still seen the failures floating around)

In Regards to “skip” the sensor (PUT) I don’t agree esp with a pump gas car and limited timing - it’s a cheap part that will probably gain you 20 hp up top
Easily cause that extra 2 psi.

Also, wheel hp ain’t wrecking 4 bangers its the TQ…
So I should get the PUT sensor, but do not need the TMAP for my power goals?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Posted this on the facebooks, figured you guys might like the info/ data point as well.

If any of you higher elevation guys want to see some vdyno comparisons of is38 vs Vortex standard, just thought I would share this.

Note that the is38 pulls were in 3rd gear and vortex pulls were in 4th gear, so obviously you'd expect is38 to have a bit better low end.

All runs were at 4300' elevation and summer weather, 7000+ DA.

All runs are uncorrected numbers.

Also for reference, the car previously made ~350whp SAE on a dyno at lower elevation previous (basically right on target given the mods and aggressiveness of the tune).

2017 Audi S3: Vortex standard, MST inlet/modded stock airbox, IE catted downpipe/stock catback, PR MPI, RS3 LPFP, 4 bar PUT

284Y6mE.png