GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I have a brand new V1 TPC20 I'll be installing when I gather all the parts needed for MPI. I'm hopeful it will run better than the is38 hybrid I'm currently running...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have a brand new V1 TPC20 I'll be installing when I gather all the parts needed for MPI. I'm hopeful it will run better than the is38 hybrid I'm currently running...
Why didn't you get version 2 with the ball bearing chra?

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Why didn't you get version 2 with the ball bearing chra?
I bought it from guy locally who never installed it in his GTI. Unit is about a year old. I wasn't really looking for a new turbo, but this one was offered to me at price I couldn't refuse.

What's wrong with the Mabo turbo?
I'm not sure there is really anything wrong with the Mabo turbo; but I doubt it will effectively push more than the 28psi I'm currently at (WGDC is around 10-12%). My WG doesn't begin opening until around 4000 rpm in 3rd and boost is 22psi at that point (running e20 on stock fueling). Not sure how much that has to do with not having upgrading fueling vs turbo vs tune.

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
I bought it from guy locally who never installed it in his GTI. Unit is about a year old. I wasn't really looking for a new turbo, but this one was offered to me at price I couldn't refuse.
Do yourself a favor and get that tpc upgraded to v2. That version may actually spool decently. Speaking of versions of TPC20... does anyone have experience running w/a v1 and a v2?

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Do yourself a favor and get that tpc upgraded to v2. That version may actually spool decently. Speaking of versions of TPC20... does anyone have experience running w/a v1 and a v2?
I thought about doing that and reached out to TPC. They wanted more to convert the turbo to the BB version than I paid for the JB version. Seems they also increased the size of the compressor wheel when going to the V2 so it's not just a simple CHRA swap.

The turbo I'm currently running has a BB CHRA...there are many factors at play that affect how quickly the turbo spools. The Vortex and the XL have no issue with spool despite being a journal bearing design.

A little background...I went from JB4 to Cobb to Eurodyne. I went from running 93 to e30 on Cobb with 5150, to 93/e60 with Mabo on while I was running is20. Went from the is20 to the mabotech is38 hybrid running 93 and meth. Put down 440whp/400wtq on that setup. I ended up pulling the meth because:
  1. I hated constantly watching the failsafe gauge because I was afraid that the pump might take a dump in the middle of a pull.
  2. The AEM meth pump took a dump.
  3. Running preturbo meth eroded my compressor wheel
Currently running e20 with the hybrid on stock fueling. Hitting 28psi at roughly 6000 rpm in 3rd (tuner regulated taper to 28). Seems I've reached the limit of the stock fueling (so I've been told).

If I were to do it all over again, I would have stuck with Cobb, and gone with EQT. I would have chosen their standard vortex and upgraded my LPFP and gone MPI at the same time. Heck, I might have been happy sticking with the is20 on their e85 tune.

And I'll leave you with this...I was able to get my TPC20 for $400; brand new never installed, including ceramic coated turbine housing, DV and waste gate actuator.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
In a few months I'll have experience running version 1 and 2. Getting my version 1 after almost 60,000 miles preemptively rebuilt and converted to the BB version 2. I requested the same size wheels so I could use my EQT dyno tune and not have to get a new tune because of the wheel size change. It costs $500 and includes a new oil feed line. So between the ball bearing and the Trackslag 4 "DP it should spool at approximately 3300 RPM.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
In a few months I'll have experience running version 1 and 2. Getting my version 1 after almost 60,000 miles preemptively rebuilt and converted to the BB version 2. I requested the same size wheels so I could use my EQT dyno tune and not have to get a new tune because of the wheel size change. It costs $500 and includes a new oil feed line. So between the ball bearing and the Trackslag 4 "DP it should spool at approximately 3300 RPM.
It's only $500 for the DBB update? 🤔

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3

Curious to hear your experience (sounds like you'll do the DP switch at the same time so it won't be a controlled before/after?). BB is heavily advertised but from my research not always optimal, especially in smaller turbos w/ high rpm.

Weighing adding the 4" dp and bb rebuild to my list, need more info/evidence first. Sounds like 4" dp for IS38 hybrid is a bit of a no-brainer, bb not so sure yet.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Curious to hear your experience (sounds like you'll do the DP switch at the same time so it won't be a controlled before/after?). BB is heavily advertised but from my research not always optimal, especially in smaller turbos w/ high rpm.

Weighing adding the 4" dp and bb rebuild to my list, need more info/evidence first. Sounds like 4" dp for IS38 hybrid is a bit of a no-brainer, bb not so sure yet.
I've had the Trackslag for awhile so it will be a direct comparison to see how much sooner the BB version spools. And while my TPC20 is being converted I'm running an IS38 and yes the Trackslag really helped spool.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
I've had the Trackslag for awhile so it will be a direct comparison to see how much sooner the BB version spools. And while my TPC20 is being converted I'm running an IS38 and yes the Trackslag really helped spool.

Ah sweet, sounds more likely my awe dp will be up for sale in the next few weeks.

thrust bearing on dbv2 v1 likely staying.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

Just to be clear and in case you didn't already know, the Tracslag DP isn't 4" all the way back. It tapers down to 3 inches.