GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Didn’t want to start a new thread but does anyone have any first hand comparison between a standard vortex and a tpc20? Looks like the tpc20 has a slightly larger compressor wheel and uses an actual ihi housing machined to fit the larger turbine wheel. Finally getting my car back on the road and after all this money spent I just can’t stomach going back on the is38. I’m heavily leaning toward the vortex because of its reliability record alone.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Didn’t want to start a new thread but does anyone have any first hand comparison between a standard vortex and a tpc20? Looks like the tpc20 has a slightly larger compressor wheel and uses an actual ihi housing machined to fit the larger turbine wheel. Finally getting my car back on the road and after all this money spent I just can’t stomach going back on the is38. I’m heavily leaning toward the vortex because of its reliability record alone.
What happened to your IS38?

I'm 3+ months into using mine on an allegedly 400hp e48 tune and so far so good. Very good in fact. I did allow for the possibility it could go to heaven before doing the build.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have the TPC20 but the older model and I like it. The new one is ball bearing but I don't think they use a larger housing. I haven't used the Vortex but with all the guys running one in the forum it certainly looks great also. I will say it's very easy to get TPC on the phone if you have any questions.
Tough decision and if I was just now deciding which to buy I would be in the same boat as you deciding which to get. This probably isn't very helpful and to me the bottom line is TPC is easier and faster to work with but the Vortex has a little more power potential. Depends on how much power you want.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
What happened to your IS38?

I'm 3+ months into using mine on an allegedly 400hp e48 tune and so far so good. Very good in fact. I did allow for the possibility it could go to heaven before doing the build.
Nothing happened to my is38. My dbv2 blew and took the motor with it.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Vortex was a no brainer for me on a stock motor--whether XL or std (depending on your preference/how far you want to push things). It's definitely been tested and proven reliable and spools great. I'm running a Std at 4300' elevation and I hit 30psi at 3300rpm in 4th gear, and that's with a catted DP and stock exhaust. Very happy with it. I didn't want something super laggy

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
I would go vortex over the tpc20, granted I have the older model of that turbo, I can't speak to the v2 TPC20. For me up here at elevation, the tpc is lazy (summertime heat isn't helping either), wish I would have gone vortex over it.

Are you building your motor? Go Vortex XL and call it a day.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would go vortex over the tpc20, granted I have the older model of that turbo, I can't speak to the v2 TPC20. For me up here at elevation, the tpc is lazy (summertime heat isn't helping either), wish I would have gone vortex over it.

Are you building your motor? Go Vortex XL and call it a day.
Get the Trackslag 4" downpipe and your TPC20 will spool about 500 RPM sooner.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Ask sneeky for his POV… he’s tuned both of them all on various fueling blends also.

Is your new block Build “upgraded” or just a stock rebuild?

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Ask sneeky for his POV… he’s tuned both of them all on various fueling blends also.

Is your new block Build “upgraded” or just a stock rebuild?
Getting a reman through vw and sending back my core. Hard to find someone with experience on this motor. FFE quoted me 11k to build mine and I just don’t want to spend that much. After core the reman will cost less than half of that.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Oh, sorry. The way this was worded:

"Finally getting my car back on the road and after all this money spent I just can’t stomach going back on the IS38"

Sounded like something had happened to an IS38 build and now you're wary of using another one.

As you were.

A2MK7

Passed Driver's Ed
i have the tpc 20 the first version and been running almost 500 whp but i don't like how boost isn't until almost 4k, i will be switching to EQT just don't know if I'm going standard or XL.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
i have the tpc 20 the first version and been running almost 500 whp but i don't like how boost isn't until almost 4k, i will be switching to EQT just don't know if I'm going standard or XL.
If you get the Trackslag 4 "DP it will make the TPC20 spool at 3500 RPM.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I have a brand new V1 TPC20 I'll be installing when I gather all the parts needed for MPI. I'm hopeful it will run better than the is38 hybrid I'm currently running...