GOLFMKV

EQT tuning is Trash!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Why not invite the man himself into this thread then?
Who EQT? I titled it so they can take notice, but honestly I doubt they are as active as when they started. Once you build a good following having one or two disappointments isn't a big deal for them. Now it will be 99% success rate. Lol.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Who EQT? I titled it so they can take notice, but honestly I doubt they are as active as when they started. Once you build a good following having one or two disappointments isn't a big deal for them. Now it will be 99% success rate. Lol.
I don't know if Nick has an account here but there's @Ed @ EQT

He still comes on every so often and answers questions in the other EQT threads

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
But in this case I don’t really think nick is out of line for wanting another tune, and honesty all of the tuners have a history of skimming over customers questions at times and just doing their “normal tuning procedure” and while I know it’s annoying with the response time it’s a pretty known fact that those times are expected.
The time it took to respond is not the issue. I accepted the response time. I'm mentioning the Responses itself. Nick wanting another tune is fine if he would of just mentioned it sooner. When I asked if we are still tuning his response was "I can't tune out the spool response"?. He could of said No, we are working things out can I have more logs in 2 3 and 4? Or better yet. When he original said Hardware issues 3 weeks ago he could of mentioned it then. Said it may be hardware issue let's wait a week or so and send me another set of Logs on fresh fuel. The response was "yup, sound like a plan" when I asked if we were done tuning so I can Dyno it? I think people give EQT such a hard pass cause it's believe your getting your moneys worth based on the tune. This hasn't held true based on my experience.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
When we move in 2 years I’m gonna miss billy so much.:cry:

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
For the OP:
I'm a little confused from your original story; did EQT know that you had a hybrid and not a standard IS38? Your post said you purchased an IS38 custom tune. Also, did you inform him that the wastegate had issues and was replaced? And were you sending logs with different fuel mixes?
No, it's been TPC38 from the start. Custom Tunes is usually for hybrid Turbos. I didn't purchase an IS38, I asked Sneekytune for a base tune for TPC38 but they only had IS38 base tune, TPC38 needs to be custom. So I purchased custom tune cause that's for my hybrid TPC38. I mentioned all to EQT, only change during tune was my 4" Trackslag Downpipe which was mentioned and Nick address this.

Here is what my Log emails look like. From when I replaced Wastegate and downpipe.
Screenshot_20210802-165531.jpg

My log emails always have my Mods in them.
I added 1 gallon of E85 was after this log to try and minimize Knock. Which was also mentioned when he requested a 2nd Log. And it ran pretty much the same regardless of E.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Hi, I was just informed of this thread so I'll respond a bit even though I'm waiting on full details from Nick.

First of all, I'm sorry that you didn't have a good experience with us. This is never our goal regardless of the situation/customer.

Sometimes communication can be a bit tricky and we all occasionally misread or misunderstand an e-mail. I do believe this is the main issue in this situation. Our initial base tunes that we send out are set up to run low boost and be safe in case there are mechanical issues at play. We then gradually turn things up as long as there are no issues present. None of our tunes are ever called complete/finished in 1-2 revisions, so there is definitely a miscommunication there. It sounds like Nick noticed your car spooling late and taking high wastegate duty cycle to make boost, so he wanted you to check on mechanical issues before turning power up. You got your wastegate actuator re-calibrated in response, and that may have helped the issue. FWIW, I do not yet have the full details on this, so this is just conjecture based on the info in your post. Once I get more details from Nick and go through your logs, I'll post a more details assessment.

Regardless of the details, however, I agree that we have an issue to address on our end in terms of better, more clear communication, as well as faster response times for general questions/issues that do not necessarily involve a tune revision to be sent out. Such e-mails should be answered more quickly than the 1 week turnaround on revisions. This is actually something we have already been working on greatly over the last few weeks, so I hope people are seeing quicker response times for things like that. For actual tune revisions, it is difficult to improve response times with our current workload. The only options we have for that are scheduling tunes out (not taking tune orders for periods of time), or possibly raising prices. Neither of these are popular solutions, so we always try to avoid them. We are, however, always working on improving response times in general.

I realize that none of this necessarily helps the OP too much at this point. I do still believe that we can offer the best end result if we are allowed to finish our process and provide the final tuned product. As a show of good faith, I'd be happy to personally finish the tune for the OP. We can schedule a time slot and get everything dialed in within a couple hours. You can rent some dyno time or we can do it with road logs. (about half of my live tune sessions are done without a dyno).

Thanks
-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
lmao @ thinking sneeky is somehow better garbage.

As someone who's dealt with them, I can say this: their staged tunes are pretty okay. Their custom tuning is a total crap-shoot unless you schedule a Dyno tune with Ed. He's fantastic at that.

Nick repeatedly sends people the wrong file or puts work off with 'you have a slight boost leak' or similar BS to give himself more time. It can take months to get a base map, especially during the peak tuning season (now). They're clearly super busy, and that makes getting log reviews for diagnostics very tedious, as you've experienced.

Again, if you can work with Ed, he's great. But they're way too busy for one guy, and so you get the mass-market cheap e-tune experience like this if you don't pony up the extra $200.

A couple notes on this. Scheduling a live session with me directly does not mean you have to have a dyno scheduled. About half of my live sessions are done with road/track logs just like regular e-tunes.

Nick is definitely very busy as he does most of our e-tunes that are not live sessions. None of us are immune to occasionally sending off the wrong file or putting a type-o in the description. We are always working on things like this and improving our attention to detail, but we you're talking about 1000's of tunes/cars, a couple issues like that will happen eventually regardless of how good the tuner is.

As far as Nick's actual tuning ability, I can promise that this should not be a concern. Nick is an extremely qualified calibrator with many achievements and tons of experience in this industry before working for EQT. Let's just say Nick has even taught me a few things over the years. I do agree that Nick needs to work on his communication and response times, but I would not question his tuning abilities. Also to make it clear, both Nick and I work off a database of template tunes for various setups that I have developed. We also communicate regularly, especially if we run into any oddities. If anything is out of the norm, it generally means I have had my eyes on the tune/logs as well.

Thanks
-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
That's been my experience with EQT in regards to Nick. Very slow to respond and if he even does it's some lame no effort response. I'm not sure anyone working with them is an actual full time employee randomly picked from the internet except for Ed. Don't really even know where Nick came from or why he is involved so much. Had some tunes come from him with incorrect info in the notes/details and really makes me concerned by tune is not setup right.

Overall though, I've been happy with the "off the shelf" stuff Ed has put together, but customer service/support needs some major work.
Thanks for the info. These are things we are working hard to improve on and have put procedures in place over the last few weeks that should greatly help. Also, please feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any specific concerns.

Thanks
-- Ed

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
A couple notes on this. Scheduling a live session with me directly does not mean you have to have a dyno scheduled. About half of my live sessions are done with road/track logs just like regular e-tunes.
Ed- I've received a base tune from Nick, but I have not started the revision process yet. How can I proceed with live road logs with you?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ed- I've received a base tune from Nick, but I have not started the revision process yet. How can I proceed with live road logs with you?
You would have to contact Cooper@eqtuning via e-mail or phone call to schedule the live session and pay the fee.

Thanks
-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
A little update from my end. I was able to look over the e-mail chain, logs, and revision for the OP. As I suspected, miscommunication is definitely the biggest issue here, and it is largely on our end.

FYI, this is not an excuse, but an attempt of a bit of an explanation of this particular situation. All of the things I noted in my previous reply are very much applicable and we have been addressing and improving our workflow over the past few weeks to make this smoother for everyone. However, this specific case ran into an especially odd coincidence that added to Nick's confusion. The OP shares the same last name and first initial as another customer with a tune in progress. Both customers sign their e-mails with their first initial and last name, so Nick confused the OP with the other customer when reviewing a log. The other customer is running an IS38 turbo rather than a hybrid, so the lag that was seen in the initial logs surprised Nick and led him to believe there is a mechanical problem at play. This set off the rest of the e-mail correspondence and confusion and here we are now. This is definitely our fault and could have been avoided with more clear and prompt communication which we are very actively addressing.

I sincerely hope that the OP gives us a chance to complete the tune for his car so he can judge us on our finished product rather than a communication blunder.

Thanks
-- Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.