GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Stg2 vs ED Stg2

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Ran a buddies GTI stg2 EQT on pump (most recent 93oct file v2.52). Pretty close race which surprised me since the GTI is lighter than the A3.

We both did a log separately on the same road (so the conditions were the same). Here are Vdyno numbers just for fun (obviously take these with a grain of salt).

Both cars are running 94oct. Gotta give credit to EQT since this is considered an OTS file.

Attachments

• 368E9CFF-FD05-43D3-9E17-9C78773CB55E.jpeg
    368E9CFF-FD05-43D3-9E17-9C78773CB55E.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 103

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Interesting.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
So you have a ED stage 2 , A3 ? Is it a OTS tune or custom
Ya mine is ED stg2 custom tune.

Boost between both tunes is quite similar, I have a bit more timing advance and run mine a bit leaner. EQT OTS tunes are pretty rich.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Ran a buddies GTI stg2 EQT on pump (most recent 93oct file v2.52). Pretty close race which surprised me since the GTI is lighter than the A3.

We both did a log separately on the same road (so the conditions were the same). Here are Vdyno numbers just for fun (obviously take these with a grain of salt).

Both cars are running 94oct. Gotta give credit to EQT since this is considered an OTS file.
Race from a dig or roll?

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Which trans were they running?

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Assuming you won ? May I ask who did your custom tune , through Maestro ?
Pretty much neck and neck. Wouldn’t say I clearly won tho.
Buddy of mine Joe. Also got help from various plp (such as Moose, Diggs, Railroader, etc.)
I did some fine tweaking after I understood the basics.
Which trans were they running?
DSG (EQT TCU tuned)

Malingerer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
I have a 2016 GTI running stage 2 ED OTS low torque file along with the ED stage 2 TCU tune . Do you think I would gain anything noticeable going with a custom stage 2 tune ? I was looking into a upgraded turbo EQT, TPC etc but I’m not sure that is gonna happen this year . Would it be worth the cost ?

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
I have a 2016 GTI running stage 2 ED OTS low torque file along with the ED stage 2 TCU tune . Do you think I would gain anything noticeable going with a custom stage 2 tune ? I was looking into a upgraded turbo EQT, TPC etc but I’m not sure that is gonna happen this year . Would it be worth the cost ?
If only using only pump gas probably not besides driveability if it bothers you.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Yes you would. The OTS ED files are pretty bad. Similar to the Cobb OTS files (maybe not as bad) but they lack refinement. Think of the ED OTS tune as a base file before you start doing revisions with an actual tuner.
If only using only pump gas probably not besides driveability if it bothers you.
I disagree. Even on pump gas there are some decent gains to be had from a custom Maestro tune vs an OTS ED file. I’ve logged both and there’s a significant difference in performance…

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If only going with pump gas then it's not worth the minimal gain. If going with an upgraded turbo then yes.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Yes you would. The OTS ED files are pretty bad. Similar to the Cobb OTS files (maybe not as bad) but they lack refinement. Think of the ED OTS tune as a base file before you start doing revisions with an actual tuner.

I disagree. Even on pump gas there are some decent gains to be had from a custom Maestro tune vs an OTS ED file. I’ve logged both and there’s a significant difference in performance…
Don't forget, you have exceptional pump gas.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Don't forget, you have exceptional pump gas.
True. It is better than US 93 and it usually contains anywhere from E09-E11.
(with a price to pay these days tho :oops:)

Still, you should see one of the OTS ED logs. It’s very basic…
It’s a starting file to improve upon.