GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT reviews

BenVisbeen

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 Vw GTI
Staged tunes were not available yet when I got tuned. Ed mentioned I was his first stg1 GTI he had tuned.

But its also true for what jimlloyd40 said. Customs tailor it to your specific car, each engine is different and some can handle a bit more or less than others.

Mine did very well for 91oct with only K&N filter panel, Revo Inletpipe and RS7 plugs on Ed's dyno.
Green: Stock
Blue: Some other tuners etune
Pink: EQT 91 custom
View attachment 210428

Im also running his Stg1 E30 tune now. Didn't do custom on that one. Its just fantastic. I flip between the two tunes depending on if the area im driving to has E85 pump. My GTI is at 108k miles now. This dyno graph was done at 72k miles.
ok thank you

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
When someone gets a protune over the stage tunes it's because they want to maximize the power by being tuned specifically for their mods. It's safer also because the tuner looked at logs and tuned accordingly to manage knock.
On the other hand, I've been in the EQT FB group and on multiple occasions when someone asks about a Stage 1/2 tune or custom, Ed suggests there is little reason to go custom if they have basic hardware that the Staged tune will work with.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
On the other hand, I've been in the EQT FB group and on multiple occasions when someone asks about a Stage 1/2 tune or custom, Ed suggests there is little reason to go custom if they have basic hardware that the Staged tune will work with.
And those are the guys who say they are on stage whatever and have knock and ask for advice. The custom tune is just more precise. People just have to decide if the price difference is worth it.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
And those are the guys who say they are on stage whatever and have knock and ask for advice. The custom tune is just more precise. People just have to decide if the price difference is worth it.
Ok. The person providing the tuning services doesn't say you're going to have knock with an EQT Stage 1/2 tune and should go with a custom EQT tune.

The advice you are providing differs from that of the tuner. Why should somebody believe your advice versus the tuners?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ok. The person providing the tuning services doesn't say you're going to have knock with an EQT Stage 1/2 tune and should go with a custom EQT tune.

The advice you are providing differs from that of the tuner. Why should somebody believe your advice versus the tuners?
They shouldn't.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

One advantage I can possibly see for a Protune over OTS, is because a person’s file is custom to their car, if they add something, the tweaking of the precise tune would be easier to revise by looking at logs, no?

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
One advantage I can possibly see for a Protune over OTS, is because a person’s file is custom to their car, if they add something, the tweaking of the precise tune would be easier to revise by looking at logs, no?

Yes. So for anybody looking to keep their car at stage 1 or 2 levels, go with Ed's OTS tunes. As long as you have the supporting mods for it, the OTS tunes are totally fine. Once you start modding the shit out of your car and/or swap out the turbo for something bigger, then definitely get a protune.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Probably not. The tuner is going to have dialed in their OTS tune pretty well. If you started by going the custom tune route they're going to have adjusted the same variables as the OTS tune, just slightly differently based on what they saw from your datalogs. If you then go and make a hardware change that's significant enough to warrant a retune, such as a different size turbo, different fuel, water-methanol injection, they're going to have about the same amount of work to do fine tuning again.

Going OTS then custom when you make a hardware change you spend $675 with EQT. Go custom with basic hardware ($500) and then custom for the hardware change ($500) you spend $1000. Even if you saved a revision or two, you still paid the same amount, at best you're avoiding making a couple extra pulls.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Just for some more information, I was running EQTs 2.01 or whatever map (the one before the current one) and the power delivery was really jarring and unrefined feeling. It would surge with power even when being easy on the throttle. Because of this I switched to 5150's THOTS stage 2 tune and it felt great. Recently EQT released an update (2.51) so I decided to buy it. Now the car runs how it SHOULD have from the beginning. Very smooth power delivery and its completely managable with the throttle. When you want to get more you just give it some gas and it goes, but it doesnt surge off out of control. On the current 2.51 map I would recommend EQT over other companies. Before this update, I would have said to look elsewhere.