GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT/Littco turbo install and now won't Build Over 10psi of boost

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
Dropped car off at EQT for turbo install and now it is having an issue building boost which the team at EQT have been working hard trying to fix for 3 days now without success. Tune is calling for >20psi but car only making 10psi....

car was JB4 only before and ran great.

then EQT installed:
-Littco L380x turbo (is38 with slightly larger compressor wheel)
-Neuspeed FMIC
-Unitronic elbow
-upgraded audi PCV
-MAP downpipe
-MAP intake
-Autotech HPFP
-tuned on COBB

now car won't make >10psi of boost...

What EQT have tried so far without success:
-checked the cold side plumbing over and over
-they say they pressure tested everything
-smoke tested the exhaust to make sure no exhaust leaks
-re calibrated the wastegate with turbo on thecar
-pulled downpipe and manually checked to make sure the wastegate is actually closing all the way
-they drove car with exhaust unhooked to see if maybe catback messed up
-I believe they tried a new Diverter Valve also

Dan from Littco says he has installed 8 of these turbos in UK and had no issues, and had one customer send a different turbo back claiming the same issue and when Dan installed that turbo on a different car locally it worked fine....

Great experience with EQT so far, so this is not a criticism of them at all, just trying to come up with any possible solutions

What could possibly be causing this?!

Last edited:

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
if the intake flap things were failing and closing off the intake the car would throw a code right? anyway this could be the intake flaps having an issue?

driving this shite Kia rental car around is damaging my soul while waiting for EQT to fix my car :confused:

if the wastegate is actually closed then i don't understand how this can't be a cold side leak?

Last edited:

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
I also dropped off a new littco rebuild is38 "L380" with my car as a backup turbo since I had it anyway, so I suppose EQT could swap parts from that turbo onto the L380x potentially

EDIT: Here is what Dan said when I asked him what wastegate is on the turbo

"Wastegate is the A6 ones most companies sell. Is38 with the shorter rod, hence the extension on it" "Is38 wastegates and A6 actuator with extension"

Last edited:

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
"Wastegate is the A6 ones most companies sell. Is38 with the shorter rod, hence the extension on it" "Is38 wastegates and A6 actuator with extension"

Same gate we all use.

Make sure that DV is checked. Also check the internal hole for the DV for correct placement. If they have a used TS DV laying around try that as it seals directly to the housing.

You remember to remove that shop rag from the charge pipe while you installed the cooler? :)

Last edited:

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
thanks guys. will double check on what work they did checking the DV, good tip on the TS DV.

the weird thing to me is this seems like could only be three things: DV/wastegate/ColdSideLeak and yet they've now had my car 4 days and can't figure it out and EQT is legit shop.

has to be something like "rag in the charge pipe" or something in the intercooler or maybe they forgot the rubber O ring gasket thing on output of the turbo output etc since all the other stuff checked a million times?!

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
thanks guys. will double check on what work they did checking the DV, good tip on the TS DV.

the weird thing to me is this seems like could only be three things: DV/wastegate/ColdSideLeak and yet they've now had my car 4 days and can't figure it out and EQT is legit shop.

has to be something like "rag in the charge pipe" or something in the intercooler or maybe they forgot the rubber O ring gasket thing on output of the turbo output etc since all the other stuff checked a million times?!

O ring would show up on the smoke test.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
If it consistently makes 10psi it’s probably a tuning issue.

They say it’s calling for 20psi and making 10psi, but what’s the EWG duty cycle during these logs.

Does it make 10 psi regardless of which gear it’s in?

Any EPC light or fault codes?

What voltage is the EWG set to?

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7

They say it’s calling for 20psi and making 10psi, but what’s the EWG duty cycle during these logs.

Or he got a dud turbo, could try throwing the L380/is20 back on

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
The stock IC is still in the car right? Hook it back up and see if anything changes so you can cross the FMIC of the potential issues list.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion

thanks Jake, these are good comments. I know they recalibrated the EWG again and again but not sure on exact voltage. will ask on the other stuff.

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
The stock IC is still in the car right? Hook it back up and see if anything changes so you can cross the FMIC of the potential issues list.

I think a pressure/smoke test will identify any issues with the IC leaking.