GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT is38 hybrid vs Stage 2 Garrett turbo

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
Anyone know which one is possibly better as of now? I know eqt is also producing their prototype as of now, but as of now, which one is better in terms of spool times, holding boost up to power and, etc. I’m somewhat considering getting a stage 2 Garrett.

The only thing holding me back on Garrett right now is the lack of videos/reviews on it.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

FB-GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GTI -> Golf R
Okay. I’m looking for a slightly faster spooling turbo but I wouldn’t know which one to go for at this time.
The Garrett Stage 1 seems like a good option for a GTI. Spool is quick and power seems to be just over 400whp.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
The dyno chart on the linked page shows the TPC25 hitting peak torque at 4600 rpm. @MKSeven said they were looking for a faster spooling turbo.
No he’s right, just looking for higher spool across the powerband. I hear the tpc25 is sort of in the middle for fast spool and decent power.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Cheap = OEM is38 (lifetime warranty from FCP) & lots of OTS tuning solutions.

Good = EQT Vortex -Out spools the competition, and pulls harder up top (420-450whp comfort zone, vs smaller slower spooling options reaching their limit around 400).

Anything else just kinda lands in the middle performance wise & gets uncomfortably close to the cost of the Vortex. Basically if you’ve gotta pay to custom tune anything less than a HPFP fueled Vortex is a waste IMO.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
The dyno chart on the linked page shows the TPC25 hitting peak torque at 4600 rpm. @MKSeven said they were looking for a faster spooling turbo.
That’s a little short sighted of a take on the graph though, that 4600 referenced is showing its peak TQ at 490, that could be a mixture of boost and timing, it’s Already making 450tq by 3800 and 400 by 3000 - as far as the graph reads it “shouldn’t” feel like a slow spooling unit when driving it, but regardless a standard vortex still shows to spool quicker. But should be noted the tpc25 is running a is38 hotside housing, the tpc20 is the one that runs the smaller exhaust housing.

Between the title options - hands down the vortex xl , money and performance wise.

Last edited:

FB-GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GTI -> Golf R
That’s a little short sighted of a take on the graph though, that 4600 referenced is showing its peak TQ at 490, that could be a mixture of boost and timing, it’s Already making 450tq by 3800 and 400 by 3000 - as far as the graph reads it “shouldn’t” feel like a slow spooling unit when driving it, but regardless a standard vortex still shows to spool quicker. But should be noted the tpc25 is running a is38 hotside housing, the tpc20 is the one that runs the smaller exhaust housing.

Between the title options - hands down the vortex xl , money and performance wise.
I'm commenting on the information provided. Unfortunately, the vendor doesn't provide much to go on.
It looks to me that TQ is around 290 @ 3000, not 400.
But yes, because the turbo appears to spool slowly the tuner may have been able to increase timing to make more torque while the turbo spools up.