GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
It looks like this will affect E85 tunes, from what I'm reading, and any stage 2 or greater tune if it disables the o2 sensor for cat efficiency.

Not on the MQB platform. It will affect some Subaru and GTR flex fuel tunes. EQT doesn't disable the O2 sensor. They don't mess with anything related to emissions.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
From Ed on FB:

This is clearly the hot topic of the day, so let's try to clear some things up.

This is part of a continued effort from Cobb to be as compliant as possible with the EPA and CARB. It's not easy for anyone, but this is the only way that our industry can continue to exist. Cobb is not the first to implement such measures and most other tuning companies will have to follow suit soon if they want to continue to operate in the USA. None of this is a big surprise as things have been moving in this direction for years.

This update covers all platforms supported by Cobb, but it affects these platforms in varying ways. Let's start with how it affects our MQB EA888.3 cars and tuning. Thankfully, we are one of the least affected platforms overall. All Cobb based tunes on this platform have always retained full functionality of emissions code and checks. If any tuned car was not running emissions equipment that satisfies the factory checks, the ECU will set the appropriate P code which will appear with a scan of the ECU. The only difference is that up until now, we were allowed to decrease the priority of certain codes so that they would not illuminate the CEL in the cabin even though they would be present on a scan. This means that any new tunes will continue to function just like they always have, with one exception. If your vehicle has hardware that causes a factory check to set an error code, your CEL will illuminate alerting you to the stored code.

Other platforms are more affected by this. For example, Subaru and GT-R flex fuel tunes had been set up in such a way that they use existing factory sensor inputs to wire in a flex fuel sensor. These sensors usually have to do with emissions functionality, so they can no longer be deleted and used for a flex fuel input. As such, these platforms can no longer use the same flex fuel functionality and alternate methods are being worked on (alternate inputs such as CAN). Luckily, this will not be an issue for the future flex fuel implementation for MQB cars because our ECU's have a native input set up for a flex fuel sensor. This means that we don't have to replace or alter any emissions based sensor to implement flex fuel functionality.

These are wild times for everyone in the industry. We all want to make sure that we can continue to enjoy our hobbies in a way that is congruent with our evolving society. We will continue to work with companies like Cobb to develop emissions friendly solutions that keep everyone happy and keep our industry alive in the long term. These days, fun and poor emissions do not have to go hand in hand.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
From Ed on FB:

This is clearly the hot topic of the day, so let's try to clear some things up.

This is part of a continued effort from Cobb to be as compliant as possible with the EPA and CARB. It's not easy for anyone, but this is the only way that our industry can continue to exist. Cobb is not the first to implement such measures and most other tuning companies will have to follow suit soon if they want to continue to operate in the USA. None of this is a big surprise as things have been moving in this direction for years.

This update covers all platforms supported by Cobb, but it affects these platforms in varying ways. Let's start with how it affects our MQB EA888.3 cars and tuning. Thankfully, we are one of the least affected platforms overall. All Cobb based tunes on this platform have always retained full functionality of emissions code and checks. If any tuned car was not running emissions equipment that satisfies the factory checks, the ECU will set the appropriate P code which will appear with a scan of the ECU. The only difference is that up until now, we were allowed to decrease the priority of certain codes so that they would not illuminate the CEL in the cabin even though they would be present on a scan. This means that any new tunes will continue to function just like they always have, with one exception. If your vehicle has hardware that causes a factory check to set an error code, your CEL will illuminate alerting you to the stored code.

Other platforms are more affected by this. For example, Subaru and GT-R flex fuel tunes had been set up in such a way that they use existing factory sensor inputs to wire in a flex fuel sensor. These sensors usually have to do with emissions functionality, so they can no longer be deleted and used for a flex fuel input. As such, these platforms can no longer use the same flex fuel functionality and alternate methods are being worked on (alternate inputs such as CAN). Luckily, this will not be an issue for the future flex fuel implementation for MQB cars because our ECU's have a native input set up for a flex fuel sensor. This means that we don't have to replace or alter any emissions based sensor to implement flex fuel functionality.

These are wild times for everyone in the industry. We all want to make sure that we can continue to enjoy our hobbies in a way that is congruent with our evolving society. We will continue to work with companies like Cobb to develop emissions friendly solutions that keep everyone happy and keep our industry alive in the long term. These days, fun and poor emissions do not have to go hand in hand.
Awesome. Yeah, I still have lots of friends in the Subaru world, where I came from, that are pretty upset right now. They have built track cars that no longer see street use and are being forced to go to stand alone ECUs.

I plan on a catted DP in the future and was worried that wasn't going to be possible in the future. My car is going to stay STH, so as long as I can still go stage 2, I'm happy.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
So we will now have a CEL for any firmware updates if I’m reading this correctly over Stage 2?

tmbzip

Ready to race!
So we will now have a CEL for any firmware updates if I’m reading this correctly over Stage 2?
Anything beyond stage 1 with EQT OTS should have thrown a CEL unless the defoulers worked (never had any luck). Doesn't change anything for us, Stage 2 we're already unplugging the rear O2 Sensor to prevent the CEL and over time Rich condition.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Anything beyond stage 1 with EQT OTS should have thrown a CEL unless the defoulers worked (never had any luck). Doesn't change anything for us, Stage 2 we're already unplugging the rear O2 Sensor to prevent the CEL and over time Rich condition.
Yes but the CEL is disabled on the dash. Moving forward this will be displayed per my understanding.

tmbzip

Ready to race!
Once updated it will be an automatic CEL with the sensor unplugged.
Ah I see, welp that's an eyesore. When the time comes for smog checks in California, even though the CEL was hidden I figured it would read as unready under the checks anyways. The initial reactions on FB seemed like they needed to jump ship just because of this hah.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
All I’d like to know is if they can cure the rear o2 issue so that perhaps I can plug it back in, run a spacer on my catted DP and not trigger a light.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Whats this about stage 2 unplugging rear 02 sensors?

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I'm EQT Stage 2 and as far as I know rear 02 doesn't need to be unplugged if running a GESI Cat. Otherwise, check if you get any codes with it plugged. If so then clear codes, unplug then re-flash. Leave it alone with it's P0036.
According to Ed/EQT, for Stage 2 tunes you need to unplug the rear 02 sensor if running catless OR high-flow cat, including GESI.

I think it's in the FAQ, and has been discussed many times on here and on FB. Nothing to do with codes, but Ed says it's a Cobb issue that will make you run lean rich over time.

Edit: issue makes the car run rich, not lean.

Last edited:

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
According to Ed/EQT, for Stage 2 tunes you need to unplug the rear 02 sensor if running catless OR high-flow cat, including GESI.

I think it's in the FAQ, and has been discussed many times on here and on FB. Nothing to do with codes, but Ed says it's a Cobb issue that will make you run lean over time.
It sounds like reflashing removes any learning that has happened. Couldn't I also just hypothetically reload the tune onto the car every month or two to just reset those values and not have to unplug the sensor?

I'm not getting any O2 codes with my neuspeed downpipe (checked with OBD11) so I'd rather not disconnect the sensor if it seems to be functioning.