GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

scrllock

Autocross Champion
If your OTS 91 tune can't handle driving to another state or isn't conservative enough to not blow the motor up on the octane it's designed for, it's not a very good 91 tune.

It's a pretty simple concept.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If your OTS 91 tune can't handle driving to another state or isn't conservative enough to not blow the motor up on the octane it's designed for, it's not a very good 91 tune.

It's a pretty simple concept.

You conveniently left out the part about tracking the car in Florida.

And are claiming EQT tunes aren't very good? What exactly is your point?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Nope, just saying people are being silly running 93 for "safety." It's an OTS tune, it should be conservative.

How often do you track?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Do you think they're giving you bad gas in Florida? Why even trust the 93? Go straight to GT 260 or run stock boost on ethanol if completely minimizing the risk of detonation is the goal.

You didn't answer the question.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You didn't answer the question.
I'm not getting into the debate on tunes and octane except to say that if it gives you peace of mind and you don't mind spending a little extra for 93 that's all that matters

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm not getting into the debate on tunes and octane except to say that if it gives you peace of mind and you don't mind spending a little extra for 93 that's all that matters

It's pretty common to use a little more conservative tune for a track car than a daily driver. I'm not sure what the controversy is.

And also love to hear Ed's thoughts on whether it's OK to run 91 octane with his 93 Oct tunes. Or any actual tuner for matter. I've yet to meet a tuner that gives the ok to run 91 Oct on a 93 Oct tune, as the other poster is proposing.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It's pretty common to use a little more conservative tune for a track car than a daily driver. I'm not sure what the controversy is.

And also love to hear Ed's thoughts on whether it's OK to run 91 octane with his 93 Oct tunes. Or any actual tuner for matter. I've yet to meet a tuner that gives the ok to run 91 Oct on a 93 Oct tune, as the other poster is proposing.
I'm positive Ed would say to not run lower octane than you were tuned for.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Posted this on their FB page as well, but is this normal? Brand new Vortex just delivered, looks like the "cap" on the turbine wheel was machined down during manufacturing. My non-intelligent person thought is that it would cause issues with balance while spinning at high rpms, but no idea...

20211015_120606.jpg

20211015_120614.jpg

20211015_120620.jpg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Appears to be grind marks from balancing. Tho it looks a little rough, its normal to see material removed.

Normal, that is part of the balancing process

Thanks. Was just surprised to see such large chunks taken out, but makes perfect sense. Currently being berated on their facebook page for asking lol.