GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I'm still in the process of custom tuning my is38 GTI with Nick @ EQT and all is going well. Nick has been responsive and the car feels great. If posting logs before the tune is complete is frowned upon, just let me know and I'll delete it, but I did have a question about my latest 2nd to 4th gear pull.

In 2nd gear between 2.63-3.74 seconds and 6100RPM - 6400RPM, the RPM’s and relative manifold pressure bounce around a bit and don’t continuously climb. What's happening here?

Here's the log.
View attachment 224780
That looks like loss of traction

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
That looks like loss of traction
You might be right... I think there's an expansion joint and bridge that comes up quickly at the start of the run. Dang it! I wonder if this is still a usable log for Nick?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
You might be right... I think there's an expansion joint and bridge that comes up quickly at the start of the run. Dang it! I wonder if this is still a usable log for Nick?
It should be. Log recovers well through the rest of the pull.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I'm still in the process of custom tuning my is38 GTI with Nick @ EQT and all is going well. Nick has been responsive and the car feels great. If posting logs before the tune is complete is frowned upon, just let me know and I'll delete it, but I did have a question about my latest 2nd to 4th gear pull.

In 2nd gear between 2.63-3.74 seconds and 6100RPM - 6400RPM, the RPM’s and relative manifold pressure bounce around a bit and don’t continuously climb. What's happening here?

Here's the log.
View attachment 224780
Loss of traction for sure.

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
It burbles if you bring up drive modes and set to sport, or tap individual while engine is set to sport. Disable by going to comfort or turn off the car.

Car always starts with burbles off regardless of mode until you re-engage by doing the above. Burbles happen above 2500 or so when letting off gas. If you have soft mounts the engine will rock a bit and feel quite shit

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
^what he said, but will also work in other modes if you are tuned by something other than EQT. Mine just burbles all the damn time lol.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
It burbles if you bring up drive modes and set to sport, or tap individual while engine is set to sport. Disable by going to comfort or turn off the car.

Car always starts with burbles off regardless of mode until you re-engage by doing the above. Burbles happen above 2500 or so when letting off gas. If you have soft mounts the engine will rock a bit and feel quite shit
To make sure I understand what you're saying.

If I'm the type who always leaves his car in sport mode the burbles will be off. If I decide to indulge to my inner child I just need to swap through drive modes back to sport to activate it. If I want to be an adult again I just turn off the engine and can leave it alone in sport?

This might solve my problem of I really want the burbles only sometimes (rarely), but actually use both normal and sport. It's like a secret peacock setting.

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
To make sure I understand what you're saying.

If I'm the type who always leaves his car in sport mode the burbles will be off. If I decide to indulge to my inner child I just need to swap through drive modes back to sport to activate it. If I want to be an adult again I just turn off the engine and can leave it alone in sport?

This might solve my problem of I really want the burbles only sometimes (rarely), but actually use both normal and sport. It's like a secret peacock setting.

Thats correct, I leave my car in custom settings with sport engine, comfort steering and suspension and no burbles happen. Come the kid in a shitbox that brings the inner child in me and I just tap individual again from mode select, and its taco season brapp brapp down the highway

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I for one wish they will set the burbles at the ROW OEM setting. I hated the burbles on my Gen5 Camaro, but loved them in my Gen6. There were excessive in the 5, and subtle on the 6, even on sport mode for daily driving.

Has anyone gone from COBB aggressive DSG tuning to EQT DSG? What are the main differences? Is the tune in Sport mode vs D on COBB? I drive it in sport all the time and find that COBB still changes gear a little too quickly. There are several times I see my self dropping to 6 or 5th gear while driving country roads around 55-65 and the DSG decides that it should be in 7th.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
@Ed @ EQT I read through your FAQs but didn’t seem to find an answer. My situation is this: bought my car used. Found that it was at some point tuned by IE. It was ECU and TCU tuned. I’m pretty sure the previous owner returned the ECU to stock, but left the TCU in, judging by the individual gear reading in the MFD. If I go with one of your tunes do I need to get an IE power link, retune the the TCU back to stock then load yours? Thanks.