GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Full production release is expected toward the end of this year.

-- Ed
Ed, I hit peak boost on my standard housing at 3350-ish in Denver so basically what sea level XLs hit peak at. Nick tuned/no mpi/E30. I’m on IE catted DP as well, so I imagine moving to Trackslag would help my spool. It looks like this new turbo is hitting peak at 4K at sea level? How big a hit will I take up here at 6k elevation? An extra 400-500rpm to hit peak with the new turbo?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ed, I hit peak boost on my standard housing at 3350-ish in Denver so basically what sea level XLs hit peak at. Nick tuned/no mpi/E30. I’m on IE catted DP as well, so I imagine moving to Trackslag would help my spool. It looks like this new turbo is hitting peak at 4K at sea level? How big a hit will I take up here at 6k elevation? An extra 400-500rpm to hit peak with the new turbo?
I can only guess until we try. But your assessment is probably pretty close.

-- Ed

Reactions: MSH

tshrey

Ready to race!
IS38s blow up on stage 1 tunes. Either FCP an is38, get an is38+ or go hybrid. No one makes an OTS hybrid tune, though.
This is news, I figured the only thing I would do to this car is a stage 1 tune. What does it mean to FCP the turbo? If I google that I get a company that offers a kit but it looks like a stock turbo.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
This is news, I figured the only thing I would do to this car is a stage 1 tune. What does it mean to FCP the turbo? If I google that I get a company that offers a kit but it looks like a stock turbo.
FCP offers a lifetime warranty of everything they sell.

In a SHTF scenario...
  • Tshrey buys is38 from FCP and installs it.
  • 3 years later, it blows up
  • Tshrey buys new turbo from FCP and returns blown up turbo
  • FCP refunds Tshrey for turbo

Last edited:

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I am almost convinced to switch to Cobb/EQT and a Vortex XL, however I have a couple unanswered questions.

1. How much will I actually gain if I am already 333/379 (dyno'd at 98 degree temps on 93 octane, stock IS20) on Unitronic? I want to stay on 93 Octane for now.
2. My only fueling mod (for now, to push the turbo) will be Autotech HPFP
3. I know no-lift shift is an option. How about rolling anti-lag ?

Turbo, Accessport and custom tune is basically 3k, so I am looking at cost/benefit ratio.

-Thanks in advance.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I am almost convinced to switch to Cobb/EQT and a Vortex XL, however I have a couple unanswered questions.

1. How much will I actually gain if I am already 333/379 (dyno'd at 98 degree temps on 93 octane, stock IS20) on Unitronic? I want to stay on 93 Octane for now.
2. My only fueling mod (for now, to push the turbo) will be Autotech HPFP
3. I know no-lift shift is an option. How about rolling anti-lag ?

Turbo, Accessport and custom tune is basically 3k, so I am looking at cost/benefit ratio.

-Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't waste the money. You're getting the maximum out of an IS20 unless you use ethanol and you might get 20 HP more. But you would get the increase regardless of the brand of tune you use.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I wouldn't waste the money. You're getting the maximum out of an IS20 unless you use ethanol and you might get 20 HP more. But you would get the increase regardless of the brand of tune you use.

I think you're misreading or misunderstanding. You're saying he'll only get around 350hp on a Vortex XL on 93 with a pro tune?

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
Grabbed a log of 3rd gear on the E85 OTS tune with E75 in tank. Not an expert but interesting to see the upgraded hpfp still maxed up top. Too bad we can't see lpfp. Timing reaches 18.5! Had a fully supported Vortex XL setup on previous car so this isn't on that level. However, power delivery is smooth and boost taper isn't as noticeable as I expected. I may try the E30 map as a more daily friendly option lol.

https://datazap.me/u/dubstro/mk75-r-eqt-stg-2-e85-ots-3-gear-6-28-21?log=0&data=15-19-34

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Grabbed a log of 3rd gear on the E85 OTS tune with E75 in tank. Not an expert but interesting to see the upgraded hpfp still maxed up top. Too bad we can't see lpfp. Timing reaches 18.5! Had a fully supported Vortex XL setup on previous car so this isn't on that level. However, power delivery is smooth and boost taper isn't as noticeable as I expected. I may try the E30 map as a more daily friendly option lol.

https://datazap.me/u/dubstro/mk75-r-eqt-stg-2-e85-ots-3-gear-6-28-21?log=0&data=15-19-34
You *could* a LPFP inline to the rubber fuel hoses in the engine bay to monitor lowside pressure :)

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R

Log looks great overall. The HPFP being maxed out up top is normal... pressure is still holding over 3200psi.

I do see your car is running a touch richer up top than target. Recommend disconnecting the rear O2 sensor and reflashing again to get rid of the trim learning.

-- Ed

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I like Diggs answer of upper 400's near 500.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Log looks great overall. The HPFP being maxed out up top is normal... pressure is still holding over 3200psi.

I do see your car is running a touch richer up top than target. Recommend disconnecting the rear O2 sensor and reflashing again to get rid of the trim learning.

-- Ed
Question on this for Ed or anyone else with the answer, there is still going to be a soft code (P0036 I think) for the rear o2 being disconnected correct? I unplugged mine a few weeks back after getting a P0272 cat code but I still show a soft code.