GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

jwild7.5

Car(s)
7.5 golf R
I used to run around e20 during the summer on my 93 Stg2 file. Definitely helps.
appreciate the insight. I figured it could help with the shit fuel we have and especially with the hot temps coming. i was just doing some reading and there are some skeptics out there that think it could be damaging.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
is there any benefit of running close to an e30 blend with a 93 stage 2 map? prior to my stage 2 flash I was using JB4 running a e30ish blend after some calculations to confirm. This was very beneficial. Just not sure how this would be on a flashed tune? Obviously, a e30 tune would be the best route but I am curious if there is any negative effects as well.
If you're seeing occasional knock on your 93, a couple gallons of e85 can help. Most cars can adjust trims for a bit of ethanol, but e30 is a little pointless without a tune.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Had my first morning commute on full E85... the smell is enough to pay for the tune aside from the power. 😍

I'm going to do a bit of a write up/comparison between the UM tune I had for 4 years and this once I've got some more miles on it, but so far both the 91 and E85 tunes plus the DSG tune are as good and better in some ways than UM. And I liked my UM tune a lot, this wasn't an easy OR cheap choice.

jwild7.5

Car(s)
7.5 golf R
If you're seeing occasional knock on your 93, a couple gallons of e85 can help. Most cars can adjust trims for a bit of ethanol, but e30 is a little pointless without a tune.
that was mainly my plan, not full e30 blend just splashing a few gallons to reduce any knock I encounter

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Had my first morning commute on full E85... the smell is enough to pay for the tune aside from the power. 😍

I'm going to do a bit of a write up/comparison between the UM tune I had for 4 years and this once I've got some more miles on it, but so far both the 91 and E85 tunes plus the DSG tune are as good and better in some ways than UM. And I liked my UM tune a lot, this wasn't an easy OR cheap choice.
Are you comparing a pump UM tune to an e85 eqt/cobb tune?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Are you comparing a pump UM tune to an e85 eqt/cobb tune?
Comparing in the sense of drivability, but not intending to compare an OTS 91 octane tune from UM and the E85 tune for power. It's CLEARLY got more performance on E, but I did spend a bit of time with the EQT 91 octane tune and that felt stronger/smoother than the UM.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Comparing in the sense of drivability, but not intending to compare an OTS 91 octane tune from UM and the E85 tune for power. It's CLEARLY got more performance on E, but I did spend a bit of time with the EQT 91 octane tune and that felt stronger/smoother than the UM.
Are you equating smoothness with drivability? EQT definitely shifts slower than UM, which people interpret as "smoother."

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
appreciate the insight. I figured it could help with the shit fuel we have and especially with the hot temps coming. i was just doing some reading and there are some skeptics out there that think it could be damaging.
Just put in about 1.5-2 gallons per full tank It'll help with cleaning up the timing corrections a bit. Will also net you a small bump in power. You don't want too much E without having a proper tune for it though, since additional fuel volume is needed due to the higher E concentration.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Are you equating smoothness with drivability? EQT definitely shifts slower than UM, which people interpret as "smoother."
This is jumping the gun on my post haha but what I'm referring to would be how the throttle responds to input, how the power comes on, etc. in reference to the ECU tune. The DSG tune has a very similar feel to UM, but I think could have a bit more effort put into low speed and the 1-2 shift that was always a bit lost on my UM tune.

I don't know I'd say that EQT shifts slower, do you mean at regular speeds putting around or manual shifting at full pace?

JettiGLI

Go Kart Newbie
How is the boost strategy on a MY16 manual golf R for stage 2 91/92 octane?
What is the peak boost? I am worried because the IS38 is so weak, APR had an amazing stage 2 file but all my friends ended up with a blown turbo.
Can a OTS stage handle a hybrid EQT IS38?

Thanks!

scrllock

Autocross Champion
What is the peak boost? I am worried because the IS38 is so weak, APR had an amazing stage 2 file but all my friends ended up with a blown turbo.
Can a OTS stage handle a hybrid EQT IS38?

Thanks!
IS38s blow up on stage 1 tunes. Either FCP an is38, get an is38+ or go hybrid. No one makes an OTS hybrid tune, though.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
IS38s blow up on stage 1 tunes. Either FCP an is38, get an is38+ or go hybrid. No one makes an OTS hybrid tune, though.
I ran an IS38 with full bolt ons and custom tune for 40,000 before the bearing seal started to leak.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
👀

From Ed:s post
"Finally got a chance to do some in house testing on one of our new beta MQB turbos and it did not disappoint! This Golf R has a built block and un-ported head with upgraded valve springs. The transmission is all stock so we limited torque to around 500ft-lbs to keep the clutches alive until they get upgraded. The car has all the other usual supporting mods and is using a dual walbro setup for fueling.

This pull was done on E85, reaching a peak of 43psi of boost at 7000-8000RPM. We're at the point of maxing out the 4 bar PUT sensor and certainly the stock clutches, so we didn't go any higher for now. The wastegate was still under 80%, so there is potentially a bit more power to be had. Once the clutches are upgraded and we can bump up torque, I'm confident we'll see 700whp around 6500-7000RPM. Not too shabby for a completely bolt-on turbo on a 2.0l!
FYI, this is on our new dyno calibration as of 2021 which reads 6% lower than before. For reference, our tried and true Vortex XL all out maxes out at 560whp on this dyno.
Before anyone asks, we have a handful of these turbos out in testing and if everything goes smoothly we expect to release them toward the end of the year. We do not have any more test units available."
Glad someone already posted it here. This turbo likes to party!

-- Ed

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Glad someone already posted it here. This turbo likes to party!

-- Ed
What’s the expected release date for these? After dropping the pan it might look like an engine build is in my future. If I’m doing that may as well go full send.

Reactions: MSH

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
What’s the expected release date for these? After dropping the pan it might look like an engine build is in my future. If I’m doing that may as well go full send.

Full production release is expected toward the end of this year.

-- Ed