GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
Not sure what part of the state that you're in, but you may be able to find E85 that you can splash blend with 93 to act as an octane booster. Much cheaper than the Torco route if it's available near you. You can typically add a gallon or two per full tank without needing to re-tune.
Gotchya. Yea, I am close to a Sheetz. Right down the road actually. So it is safe to throw some E85 in there? I was wondering after I was tuned if that was a viable option. I

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Oh. EQT now recommends them and several guys in the forum including Diggs24.
This must be FB-in-the-know as it’s still just one step colder(rs7) on EQT FAQ at the website.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I only have to use around 8 ounces based on how many gallons of gas I need each day which generally is about 8 gallons. So about $5 worth of Torco per day. I'm in Arizona and don't have an E station close enough since I have to fill up everyday.
Sucks that you don't have it near you. There's nothing quite like getting what is basically spicy moonshine out of a gas pump.

Gotchya. Yea, I am close to a Sheetz. Right down the road actually. So it is safe to throw some E85 in there? I was wondering after I was tuned if that was a viable option. I
What tune do you have and what supporting mods? Generally 1-2 gallons per full tank is safe on most applications. You'll also want to test the E content to be safe.

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
Sucks that you don't have it near you. There's nothing quite like getting what is basically spicy moonshine out of a gas pump.

What tune do you have and what supporting mods? Generally 1-2 gallons per full tank is safe on most applications. You'll also want to test the E content to be safe.
Just EQT Stage 1 93 tune. Tear Duct intake from USP. TIP, TMD. I’ll start looking at content testers. I may start doing this. We also have a race shop down the road from me where I can pick up a fuel container. Keep me from having to fight the traffic at Sheetz lol Lot of people live off that place around here lol

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

I was in Harrisburg last year for a concert before Covid happened, and it was the first time I was ever able to get E85 on a tuned car. It made a huge difference, as I was running the 91 octane tune but it pulled like the 93 octane tune that I originally flashed, but decided against due to consistent timing pull at like 3K

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Just EQT Stage 1 93 tune. Tear Duct intake from USP. TIP, TMD. I’ll start looking at content testers. I may start doing this. We also have a race shop down the road from me where I can pick up a fuel container. Keep me from having to fight the traffic at Sheetz lol Lot of people live off that place around here lol
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F3DR18P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's the tester that I use. It works well.

As a side note, you should probably look into getting an upgraded intercooler. The stock one can barely keep up with the factory tune. You may not notice an issue now since it's so cold outside, but once it warms up you'll start noticing the heat soak more and more. You'll really notice a difference once summer hits. The high heat and humidity combo we get here in the summer will make your IAT's sky high without an upgraded IC.

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F3DR18P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As a side note, you should probably look into getting an upgraded intercooler. The stock one can barely keep up with the factory tune. You may not notice an issue now since it's so cold outside, but once it warms up you'll start noticing the heat soak more and more. You'll really notice a difference once summer hits. The high heat and humidity combo we get here in the summer will make your IAT's sky high without an upgraded IC.
Yea, I am actually picking an intercooler up soon after I get my taxes. I was reading the forums on here last night for quite a while about different choices people have made. I knew it was a matter of time before I was definitely going to need one with our oppressing heat and humidity in the summer months.

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT

After looking at that set, seems solid enough. Stupid question: shouldI pull the fuel from my container to test before I put it in my gas tank?

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
That's not a stupid question at all. It's a good idea to test when you fill up. That way you'll know the E content of what you're adding to the tank. Pump gas is up to E10. Sheetz E varies a bit, with the biggest difference being from the summer blend to the winter blend in my experience.

I just blend at the pump. Each time I fill up, I test what's coming out of the E pump and run the numbers through an E content calculator on my phone to get the total amounts of E and 93 to make my desired E blend.

In your case, there's a bit more wiggle room since you're not targeting a specific E blend. 1-2gals of E per full tank will be enough for you.

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
That's not a stupid question at all. It's a good idea to test when you fill up. That way you'll know the E content of what you're adding to the tank. Pump gas is up to E10. Sheetz E varies a bit, with the biggest difference being from the summer blend to the winter blend in my experience.

I just blend at the pump. Each time I fill up, I test what's coming out of the E pump and run the numbers through an E content calculator on my phone to get the total amounts of E and 93 to make my desired E blend.

In your case, there's a bit more wiggle room since you're not targeting a specific E blend. 1-2gals of E per full tank will be enough for you.
Thanks for the info! I think I may just start throwing a gallon or so in the tank when I fill up from now on!

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
This must be FB-in-the-know as it’s still just one step colder(rs7) on EQT FAQ at the website.
That's what I figured. I just dislike the fact that Facebook is the platform where this extra info is that's not in the FAQ. From a business standpoint, I get it, that's where the users are, but ya know... It's Facebook.

Reactions: krs

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
That's what I figured. I just dislike the fact that Facebook is the platform where this extra info is that's not in the FAQ. From a business standpoint, I get it, that's where the users are, but ya know... It's Facebook.

Biggest downside so far of EQT. I typically avoid any business that relies solely on Facebook. It’s unfortunate that those without are left in the dark about changes in recommendations.