GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

Sleep7R

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
All this talk about ECU and DSG tunes being compatible... if I've upgraded to the Vortex, do I need to also get my DSG retuned?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
All this talk about ECU and DSG tunes being compatible... if I've upgraded to the Vortex, do I need to also get my DSG retuned?
Yes. Shift points aren’t optimized for that turbo without one.

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
thank you very much. No one commented back for days... I plan to buy 91 octane tune anyway to swap if i see any knock or maybe for crappy gas season. Do you guys recommend cobb launch control and traction control options selected? thanks
I like the cobb traction control because I have a 2019 where you can't completely turn off traction control. If I turn up the Cobb traction control interference is very minimal.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Since this is the Q&A thread, I'll ask here. I thought about emailing EQT directly but figured I could get more opinions and actual user experiences here.
I am thinking of getting a Stage 1 w/DSG tune because of this sale. My car is a stock '18 GTI Autobahn w/Michelin PS4s tires. It is a weekend car for me and have plans to do more HPDE events once this whole pandemic calms down. My driving skill level doesn't require more power (need to walk before I can run) so really looking for a tune to disable the speed limiter (I top out on the long straights of VIR). I have zero plans to modify the car other than handling and brake improvements as my skill progress. I like the ability to revert to stock tune when I like so this system appeals to me. So-

1. Does the EQT disable the speed limiter?
2. Would this tune be appropriate for track use? from beginner where I am now to more advanced, where I would like to go
3.since I usually use manual mode for shifting is the DSG tune worth it? Or just go ahead and get it to have a system integration approach.
4.Since I don't do launches I assume I wouldn't need the COBB launch control?
5.Can someone enlighten me on the COBB Adjustable Traction Control? I know I would need OBD11 to disable stock TC but then what? what does this do for me in a track setting?
6.I assume the COBB Falt Foot shifting option doesn't apply to me because of DSG?
7.Don't care about burbles but if I get this option can I turn it off through the AP? only use it when I want?

Thanks everyone!

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
2. Would this tune be appropriate for track use? from beginner where I am now to more advanced, where I would like to go
3.since I usually use manual mode for shifting is the DSG tune worth it? Or just go ahead and get it to have a system integration approach.
5.Can someone enlighten me on the COBB Adjustable Traction Control? I know I would need OBD11 to disable stock TC but then what? what does this do for me in a track setting?
6.I assume the COBB Falt Foot shifting option doesn't apply to me because of DSG?
7.Don't care about burbles but if I get this option can I turn it off through the AP? only use it when I want?
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. At stage 1 DSG tune would mostly make the difference in Auto. Not sure if clamping forces are changed that much at Stg1 but the shift points would be more optimal for the bump in power.
4. OEM LC is preferred
5. Cobb TC is Fuel cut based and works pretty good for straight line traction in FWD. on track I’d leave the OE TC active or in Sport.
6. N/A
7. No. BRBL would be active and require a request to deactivate. You can opt to only have it active in D or S though.
8.DO IT!

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Awesome! Thank you

probablyjacking

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Since this is the Q&A thread, I'll ask here. I thought about emailing EQT directly but figured I could get more opinions and actual user experiences here.
I am thinking of getting a Stage 1 w/DSG tune because of this sale. My car is a stock '18 GTI Autobahn w/Michelin PS4s tires. It is a weekend car for me and have plans to do more HPDE events once this whole pandemic calms down. My driving skill level doesn't require more power (need to walk before I can run) so really looking for a tune to disable the speed limiter (I top out on the long straights of VIR). I have zero plans to modify the car other than handling and brake improvements as my skill progress. I like the ability to revert to stock tune when I like so this system appeals to me. So-

Thanks everyone!
Just to add on to the reply you got for #3 - I used to use the manual mode most of the time I drove. I haven't used it once since I went EQT DSG. It's a great balance.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I still like to paddle it but I agree Auto and Sport are far more engaging with the TCU tune.

95gto

Go Kart Newbie
So if you opt for Cobb traction control, does that give you the ability to switch back and forth between Cobb tc and OE tc? I plan on nabbing a stage 1 setup and running both the etq engine and dsg tunes, so I just want to make sure I check the correct boxes.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
OE TC can still be used but you will need to code the ability to completely disable it in order to use the Cobb TC settings. You will also need to set the Cobb TC to whatever setting you like each time you cycle the ignition.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Cobb LC is fuel cut based.....not Cobb TC. And yes I have found OEM launch control to be better, if your car has that stock. Otherwise Cobb LC is a good option for cars that don't have it stock. Similar to FFS for MT cars etc.

Cobb TC retards ign timing to control power/wheelspin. It's very fast and performance oriented, but has limits to how much power it can pull. So it wouldn't be very good for driving in snow or actual very low traction conditions etc.

The OE and Cobb TC systems operate totally independent. So by default both are active. So generally speaking OEM will intervene before cobb, but it's not uncommon to have both system worksing at the same time with a lot of wheelspin etc (or snow type scenario mentioned before).

I have AWD, but simply going to ESC sport disables OE TC for me, leaving Cobb TC alone to do its work. A separate issue is the 'starting vibration' thing, that's part of the ABS module or whatever. I also disabled that, to keep that from ever intervening.