GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Useful info for other folks, bear in mind I was asking as a 6MT. I have a Stage 3 Daily SBC in the car.

Appreciate the feedback.

If you have a manual, definitely get the LC and FFS options, as those are added features for a manual.

Personally I found TC to be not that useful for AWD and find myself turning it off more often than not, especially launching. It's annoying because if you get it, it's enabled by default every time you start start the car. It's too bad you can't get the feature but disabled by default.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
If you have a manual, definitely get the LC and FFS options, as those are added features for a manual.

Personally I found TC to be not that useful for AWD and find myself turning it off more often than not, especially launching. It's annoying because if you get it, it's enabled by default every time you start start the car. It's too bad you can't get the feature but disabled by default.
Isn't the cobb tc only enabled if you have the cobb plugged in and turn off the oem traction all the way?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Isn't the cobb tc only enabled if you have the cobb plugged in and turn off the oem traction all the way?

No, Cobb TC and OEM TC are 2 totally independent systems. Generally you'll turn off the OEM one and be left with Cobb only. But normally both systems are active, but you'd expect the OEM to be primary since its more aggressive in how it limits wheel slip etc. Cobb TC only pulls ignition timing to help control wheel spin. I've seen it pull something like 20-25 degrees timing on launch.

Having the AP plugged in makes no difference whether or not it works, the 'feature' is part of the tune/ECU.

You have to use the AP to adjust the Cobb TC settings. There's slots 1-9. The slots basically have a set percent of targeted/max allowed wheel spin. Slot 1 is least amount of slip, 7 is highest amount of slip, and 8 is disabled. 9 is for dyno mode or something. Default slot is 3 for EQT tunes.

So to turn it off, you have to have the AP plugged in....click thru some menus, disable it. And it resets every time you start the car.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I didnt opt for this as I thought I'd have a higher chance of blowing up the engine lol

I've used Cobb FFS on several other cars in the past, great feature, I've always loved it. If anything it always felt smoother to me because there is a lot of a power less then power surge on the shifts. I definitely recommend it for a manual car. And it's not like it's something you have to use, but might as well have it enabled in the background in case you ever want it.

kornsined

Go Kart Newbie
Avoid Cobb LC/TC. Oem gave much better 60’ times. As stated this is dsg. I know GTI guys struggled with the Cobb LC too.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I would consider TC for FWD. For AWD...would be nice for really high power cars in straight line/drag scenario I think. If you're having to feather the throttle in 1st/2nd then its useful, as it basically does that for you in a much faster, more consistent manner.

I think it would be nice if EQT offered a few more launch RPMs on their DSG tunes for oem launch control. It's like 4000rpm by default, which I think is too higher for most setups. I know it's actually set for 3500/4000/4200 launch control RPM, but doing the lower 3500 mode is tricky and weird to me.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I understand, but there's plenty of dudes who aren't interested in spending that kind of money on a cookie cutter setup, or want to deal with tuning process etc. Other companies such as unitronic, etc offer a few different DSG files with different LC rev limits etc, just saying.

Do you think this could be a thing in the future for a $25 "dsg update" or $75 "tune change" purchase? I'm already thinking about paying to have my tunes changed to remove cobb TC.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I understand, but there's plenty of dudes who aren't interested in spending that kind of money on a cookie cutter setup, or want to deal with tuning process etc. Other companies such as unitronic, etc offer a few different DSG files with different LC rev limits etc, just saying.

Do you think this could be a thing in the future for a $25 "dsg update" or $75 "tune change" purchase? I'm already thinking about paying to have my tunes changed to remove cobb TC.
Didn't you once have Eurodyne prior to ECUtek? You can cut a low 1.6 sixty in an AWD A3 with it. How much quicker do you need to be?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Didn't you once have Eurodyne prior to ECUtek? You can cut a low 1.6 sixty in an AWD A3 with it. How much quicker do you need to be?

Oh I've had Eurodyne, Ecutek and now Cobb lol. Still have the Ecutek, waiting to see what they come up with for their racerom stuff. I'm just saying the default 4000rpm is a bit too high for me and what what I can tell, many others. Lots of spinning and I'm a slow car at 7-8k DA. Options would be nice is all.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG

I'll ask Ed about it.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I'll ask Ed about it.

Thanks Cliff. I've seen lots of guys talk about it on facebook. I've tried to spread the word on the 3 different slots and how to use 3500rpm, but holding throttle at 50-90 percent or whatever is a little weird to me.

Just an idea to help make the overall product better for everyone. I think many would be interested in this. I can't imagine it's that work intensive for Patrick or whoever to tweak a few table values or have a few more DSG tune templates or whatever. I would be fine paying a fee, I understand all these actions require someone to manually edit a tune file or start with a new template and link it to my AP serial etc.