GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
So you originally had the burbles in sport only?? I ask Because I purchased Ed's e30 tune on Friday and I'm patiently waiting for it now, and was wondering if its still active driving in manual mode?
You have to press the driving mode button beside the shifter and switch to Sport mode every time you turn the car on for the burbles to activate. Just press the Mode button, then press Normal and then Sport on the touchscreen.

ScozR

Ready to race!
Indeed, the fuel quality in Canada really spans the spectrum of worst to best in North America.. the Chevron 94 pump we have on the West Coast is also E0 and by many accounts even worse than the Shell 91 E0 we have (in my experience, they log about the same with an edge to Shell). The East Coast has the 94 (E10-E15) liquid gold.. must be nice lol.

If the low torque / conservative OTS maps are interesting, let me know.. I would be open to helping EQT dial it in, having pretty unique access to an ideal stretch of road on which I can safely capture quality logs.

Same here Cliff, I’d be happy to help if that is something you guys could offer.

Csar3

Car(s)
mqb
It's not out of the realm of possibilities. When Ed returns from vacation, I'll revisit it with him. It wouldn't be a bad idea to provide a more conservative mapping strategy for those of you that just don't have high test fueling. Some of your neighbors to the east on the other hand; we wish we had their pump gas quality! They got the good good 94 octane stuff.
I would also be interested in running a conservative 91 map during the cooler months when the refineries are producing their winter-blend gas.

Sleep7R

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
I had quite a bit of knock retard in both Stage 1 and Stage 2, likely owing to the gas quality here in SoCal, along with our hot weather (90+ degrees). Though it was never on hard acceleration, so I was told it wasn't a big deal. Finally got my IC upgraded and now it doesn't retard so much anymore (only typically when I let off the gas from a pull, or half throttle overtake from low RPM; never any on WOT) and my car's got a lot more pull. Really makes a difference if you're seeing hot temps, though I don't know how hot it is in Canada right now.

davcohen

Ready to race!
The burbles are just that, burbles. It's not a pop's and bangs tune like you get from other tuners

Tbh to me it barely happens, Maybe im more used to how it was in my MK6

I do prefer the pops and bangs, I will mention in my MK6 with the pops and bangs there was no sensation in the car what so ever however whilst you can barely hear these burbles you can deff feel a slight jerk each time which I found strange.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
It's not out of the realm of possibilities. When Ed returns from vacation, I'll revisit it with him. It wouldn't be a bad idea to provide a more conservative mapping strategy for those of you that just don't have high test fueling. Some of your neighbors to the east on the other hand; we wish we had their pump gas quality! They got the good good 94 octane stuff.

I'm in California, and vlowbeta voiced exactly what I have been thinking for a while now. I really like the EQT stage 2 tune, but I also think a low torque option would be awesome, and not just because of the varying gas quality (read -- compressor surge). It would be awesome of EQT slightly expanded its map lineup with slightly milder low torque maps.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I appreciate this response and definitely have similar sentiments. I also get that its impossible for them to account for all variables with one tune so I would be super happy with a stage one that is dialed back a bit from EQT for fuel peasants like us.

We get nailed with the highest gas prices but the poorest quality. How nice. My problem is that I’m on Vancouver Island so making it to Washington state even once a month is just not really something I want to do.

Must be a west coast thing. *waves from shitty gas country aka California*

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I had quite a bit of knock retard in both Stage 1 and Stage 2, likely owing to the gas quality here in SoCal, along with our hot weather (90+ degrees). Though it was never on hard acceleration, so I was told it wasn't a big deal. Finally got my IC upgraded and now it doesn't retard so much anymore (only typically when I let off the gas from a pull, or half throttle overtake from low RPM; never any on WOT) and my car's got a lot more pull. Really makes a difference if you're seeing hot temps, though I don't know how hot it is in Canada right now.

Where in SoCal are you?

kornsined

Go Kart Newbie
Husky 94 here in Alberta! On that note, the 94 winter blend isn’t as good. With the pandemic it seemed to take forever to finally get a good tank of gas this summer.

Ostateballer

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S PP/LP
How accurate is the Torque Actual FT-LB value on the Cobb AP?

I see I only hit ~380 and the requested is 440; which if true is lower than I’m expecting.

Last edited:

wrongwheeldrive23

Go Kart Champion
Maybe someone could chime on before I reach out to ed. I used obd 11 to turn of starting vibration and so I could completely turn off ESC.
I never had an issue with the stock tunenor stratified, but now that I'm on EQTS stage 2 e30 tune I can't keep ESC completely from randomly flashing on and off on my dashboard

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
That's because traction is limited. ;) You need to adjust your traction control in the cobb unit. What options did you select when you purchased our tune? Feel free to PM me if it's easier for you.