GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Stratified did some GTI tuning, E10 87 vs 91 ethanol free and from what I remember the results were very similar....

Ethanol free is definitely more knock prone, despite the advertised octane ratings etc.

ScozR

Ready to race!
I appreciate everyone's insight. I think the first thing I will try is a different station with 91 that contains ethanol, but I suspect I will still have some knock retard, given the stuff I have read about the general fuel quality here in BC. I may in the end suck it up and pay for a pro tune.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Well. Im not happy with the amount of knock retard I am also seeing on EQT OTS stage 1. I'm in the same camp that at stage 1 that is tuned for 91 octane, I shouldn't need to go find octane boosters or E85 (which is not available anywhere near me). I dont really see the point if thats the case. At any rate, here are three logs. Hoping to get your opinions but I already know it doesn't look good.

https://datazap.me/u/scozr/log-1597002984?log=0&data=27-39-40-41-42

https://datazap.me/u/scozr/log-1597002984?log=1&data=27-39-40-41-42

https://datazap.me/u/scozr/log-1597002984?log=2&data=27-39-40-41-42

This car is meticulously maintained so I don't think it is maintenance related. It has 48 000 km and I just installed new RS7 plugs gapped to 0.026" as well. I do believe it is fuel quality related. This car has only ever been filled up with Shell 91. Never anything else, so I have that going for me.

1. I recommend using the EQT provided log variable list. The preset list you can dump onto your AP is available on their website.
2. That is abnormally high knock at WOT, especially so in 3rd gear. Then again when I ran EQT stage 2, I would run an E20 blend (transferred over from my Unitronic days), so I saw barely any knock at WOT. I see a bit more knock on the E30 stage 2 tune, so I try to blend to about E35. But yeah, good chance your fuel is crap. Not to say it wouldn't be nice for EQT to account for crap fuel a bit more, especially since they are in California and they know the struggle is real for us with ACN91 (I guess some parts of Canada are no better).
Do you run the stock intercooler?

Last edited:

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Yep, when I was on my 93 pump tune, my car did not like Shell as it caused my car to have some knock. My car had the least amount of knock with BP gas.
Luckily mine hasn't had any issues with any gas. Back home i go between Shell, Wawa, Kroger, Speedway, and Phillips whos a local company who also has e85

ScozR

Ready to race!
1. I recommend using the EQT provided log variable list. The preset list you can dump onto your AP is available on their website.
2. That is abnormally high knock at WOT, especially so in 3rd gear. Then again when I ran EQT stage 2, I would run an E20 blend (transferred over from my Unitronic days), so I saw barely any knock at WOT. I see a bit more knock on the E30 stage 2 tune, so I try to blend to about E35. But yeah, good chance your fuel is crap. Not to say it wouldn't be nice for EQT to account for crap fuel a bit more, especially since they are in California and they know the struggle is real for us with ACN91 (I guess some parts of Canada are no better).
Do you run the stock intercooler?
Actually I did have the preset list from this very thread. Totally forgot to use it! I am running the stock intercooler. I really wish we had some E85 around here.

vlowbeta

Hey ScozR,

I am local to the Lower Mainland of BC and prior to the pandemic, was fueling up with Washington 92 E10.. my Stage 1, EQT 91 octane OTS map ran very well with in my MK7 R using the better WA gas.

When the borders closed and I was forced to start using the 91 pond water we have locally, my timing corrections went through the roof.. I am talking routine corrections into the '4-5' range, under full throttle / full boost. The EQT map is far too aggressive for our British Columbia pump gas.. My EQT 91 OTS Stage 1 tune maxes at close to 28 PSI (MK7 R).. it's just a bloody hot map, for what is supposed to be an entry level 91 OTS stage 1 map.

IMO these maps are not compatible for use with our Canadian (BC) 91 pump.. which was a drag. Our 91 is, AFAIK, all E0 in BC.. it is truly some of the worst gas in North America. To solve the problem, I have been blending the 91 pump gas up to about E12, using jerry cans of flex fuel.. this is a pretty bloody annoying process in a daily driver, but I am managing for now. I go with Shell 91 for the blend.. I doubt there is any difference between the usual suspects.

I had inquired with Ed / EQT before I got the tune, about max boost etc. I received a fairly clear response that the max boost for the Stage 1, 91 MK7 R OTS map was ~24 PSI.. so to be honest I am not all that thrilled with the tune hitting 28 PSI, given it doesn't look to be particularly safe on our Canadian pump gas.

Ed, if you're reading - I previously inquired about low torque options, but none were available in the OTS variety. I understand that a protune can make everything right in the world, but you may have more potential customers than you realize who would pay for more conservative (low torque), OTS options from EQT.. I certainly would. A protune makes sense on a modified car (hardware) for sure.. but for a mechanically stock car it just doesn't seem an intuitive path. My 2c anyways.

I will say, the car pulls very hard on the EQT map once I blended up the gas to E12.. it's just an annoying process when the only flex pump is a 120km round trip from where I live. First world problems, to be sure.

Cheers

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Hey ScozR,

I am local to the Lower Mainland of BC and prior to the pandemic, was fueling up with Washington 92 E10.. my Stage 1, EQT 91 octane OTS map ran very well with in my MK7 R using the better WA gas.

When the borders closed and I was forced to start using the 91 pond water we have locally, my timing corrections went through the roof.. I am talking routine corrections into the '4-5' range, under full throttle / full boost. The EQT map is far too aggressive for our British Columbia pump gas.. My EQT 91 OTS Stage 1 tune maxes at close to 28 PSI (MK7 R).. it's just a bloody hot map, for what is supposed to be an entry level 91 OTS stage 1 map.

IMO these maps are not compatible for use with our Canadian (BC) 91 pump.. which was a drag. Our 91 is, AFAIK, all E0 in BC.. it is truly some of the worst gas in North America. To solve the problem, I have been blending the 91 pump gas up to about E12, using jerry cans of flex fuel.. this is a pretty bloody annoying process in a daily driver, but I am managing for now. I go with Shell 91 for the blend.. I doubt there is any difference between the usual suspects.

I had inquired with Ed / EQT before I got the tune, about max boost etc. I received a fairly clear response that the max boost for the Stage 1, 91 MK7 R OTS map was ~24 PSI.. so to be honest I am not all that thrilled with the tune hitting 28 PSI, given it doesn't look to be particularly safe on our Canadian pump gas.

Ed, if you're reading - I previously inquired about low torque options, but none were available in the OTS variety. I understand that a protune can make everything right in the world, but you may have more potential customers than you realize who would pay for more conservative (low torque), OTS options from EQT.. I certainly would. A protune makes sense on a modified car (hardware) for sure.. but for a mechanically stock car it just doesn't seem an intuitive path. My 2c anyways.

I will say, the car pulls very hard on the EQT map once I blended up the gas to E12.. it's just an annoying process when the only flex pump is a 120km round trip from where I live. First world problems, to be sure.

Cheers

It's not out of the realm of possibilities. When Ed returns from vacation, I'll revisit it with him. It wouldn't be a bad idea to provide a more conservative mapping strategy for those of you that just don't have high test fueling. Some of your neighbors to the east on the other hand; we wish we had their pump gas quality! They got the good good 94 octane stuff.

vlowbeta

It's not out of the realm of possibilities. When Ed returns from vacation, I'll revisit it with him. It wouldn't be a bad idea to provide a more conservative mapping strategy for those of you that just don't have high test fueling. Some of your neighbors to the east on the other hand; we wish we had their pump gas quality! They got the good good 94 octane stuff.

Indeed, the fuel quality in Canada really spans the spectrum of worst to best in North America.. the Chevron 94 pump we have on the West Coast is also E0 and by many accounts even worse than the Shell 91 E0 we have (in my experience, they log about the same with an edge to Shell). The East Coast has the 94 (E10-E15) liquid gold.. must be nice lol.

If the low torque / conservative OTS maps are interesting, let me know.. I would be open to helping EQT dial it in, having pretty unique access to an ideal stretch of road on which I can safely capture quality logs.

ScozR

Ready to race!
Hey ScozR,

Cheers
I appreciate this response and definitely have similar sentiments. I also get that its impossible for them to account for all variables with one tune so I would be super happy with a stage one that is dialed back a bit from EQT for fuel peasants like us.

We get nailed with the highest gas prices but the poorest quality. How nice. My problem is that I’m on Vancouver Island so making it to Washington state even once a month is just not really something I want to do.