GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Currently UM tuned with pretty-much everything included. If i was to switch to your services, I would need a Cobb AP and would want their MPI released. Anything else? definitely still tempting as i know you do great work.. (so does UM but i think you'd know your turbo limits/behavior better).

That's about it. Cobb is hard at work on MPI right now, so I'm hoping we have something to test soon.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ed,

How soon till you are overwhelmed with business and tunes take weeks. ;-)

When that happens will you offer a VIP program? :p

Once the snow stops flying so I can make it over the hill, I'll call you guys and find out a good time to stop by.

Who needs sleep? ;)

Seriously though, so far I'm handling about 15 tunes concurrently and keeping up fine. If things start to get out of hand I plan on setting up a scheduled structure where I take deposits on tunes but schedule them out until I have bandwidth available. I really want to avoid having tunes that take months to complete and especially want to avoid long wait times on revisions. I don't want to go over 48 hours max.

Thanks
-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I know this is probably mainly for Cobb and you said you were starting to learn Maestro as well but only for local people for now... when do you think you would expand to e tuning for other people not local to you using ED?

I really just don't want to switch tunes lol. Going UM for example I would need to spend 400 for a regular tune, than 600 on top of that for a custom BT tune where as staying w/ED, I just need to buy maestro (187) and then pay you or Frank etc for their services to tune BT.

Sorry for highjack!

I really haven't gotten a chance to play with it much yet. I need to get a couple cars to start with and see how it goes with the software.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
What methodology do you use to protect the engine from overboost and knock?

I retain all factory safeguards including properly calibrated knock control, overboost and underboost logic.

Thanks
— Ed

Navi

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the informative answers. If I do a tune with you now and then see in summer that the tune isn't liking the humidity/heat, is there an additional fee to retune? If so, how much? For example, I am in NY and winter can be 0F with 0 humidity and summer can be 95F with 80* humidity which feels like 103 or so outside lol. I'm curious how much all in I would be for a tune that is good year round etc... Thank you

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Thanks for the informative answers. If I do a tune with you now and then see in summer that the tune isn't liking the humidity/heat, is there an additional fee to retune? If so, how much? For example, I am in NY and winter can be 0F with 0 humidity and summer can be 95F with 80* humidity which feels like 103 or so outside lol. I'm curious how much all in I would be for a tune that is good year round etc... Thank you

If we have to do more than 1 revision for a drastic change in weather, it’ll be an extra $100.

Thanks
— Ed

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
That's good to hear regarding temperature swings and re-tunes.

I'm almost certain I'm going to need a revision during the summer months, as we normally have 30~60 days above 100F on average every summer. Relative humidity stays kinda low, but when you put it into DA terms, our winters of ~3500-4000DA jump to ~6500-7000DA in the summer months.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Ed, since I know you use the NGK racing spark plugs with your car and I believe you are the only one on this forum using them, I want to ask you a few questions about them...

1. How do they perform?
2. What gap do you have them set at?
3. How often do you change them?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ed, since I know you use the NGK racing spark plugs with your car and I believe you are the only one on this forum using them, I want to ask you a few questions about them...

1. How do they perform?
2. What gap do you have them set at?
3. How often do you change them?

1. The perform very well in all conditions so far.

2. I set them around .024"

3. I'm on my first set with about 6k miles on them including a lot of dyno time, daily abuse, and a couple track days. No signs of needing to change.

Thanks
-- Ed

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie

3. I'm on my first set with about 6k miles on them including a lot of dyno time, daily abuse, and a couple track days. No signs of needing to change.

Thanks
-- Ed

are these the NGK Racing "8" or "9" ? i have the 8 and have been happy with them thus far..knock on wood (hits head) :D

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

Thanks
-- Ed

Nice! Have you checked them to see if the gap is still around .024"?