GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Just wondering how responsive EQT is at present. I've sent in logs on Thanksgiving and still haven't heard back. any approx. turnaround time?

I’m definitely behind on tuning right now. But if you sent in logs before 12/1, you should have a revision by now. Check your spam folders. If you can’t find it there, shoot over an email.

—Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Just dropping in to say i'm loving, loving, loving my EQT TCU tune! #should-have-done-it-sooner

The only nitpick I could possibly have is the 4-5 shift cruising at 40 mph. Easily solved with one quick tug on the paddle, then it will cruise happily on near-0 pedal input 5th gear/1500rpm cruising. That must be the hardest thing to map out, because it sucked with the Cobb map in Sport, bouncing between gears when the needle touched 40. This doesn't suck.

I have a new car again. Seriously. Should have come this way from the factory. It is obvious that a great deal of refinement went into this map. The Cobb map was a great improvement over stock. The EQT file another level. Really, really good.

I've only had a small taste of Sport mode, but it appears to take stock Kill mode to KILL mode! ;)

Well done Ed!

Thanks for the note. Happy to hear you’re enjoying the tune!

— Ed

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I’m definitely behind on tuning right now. But if you sent in logs before 12/1, you should have a revision by now. Check your spam folders. If you can’t find it there, shoot over an email.

—Ed
Wow. My tune has been in my spam folder since the 27th! Two days after ordering it. VPN service faulted everything to spam while traveling abroad.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
Hey Ed,

you built my car last year and I absolutely LOVE this thing. Going to take it out on the big track at Sonoma in March.

1. what oil do you recommend for open tracking this MK7 at ~470whp power level?

2. you tuned my car to ~390whp on 91 octane, and ~470whp on E50, which one do you recommend for open track at Sonoma? or should I run the 91 octane tune but put some 100 octane Sunoco unleaded and/or torco?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hey Ed,

you built my car last year and I absolutely LOVE this thing. Going to take it out on the big track at Sonoma in March.

1. what oil do you recommend for open tracking this MK7 at ~470whp power level?

2. you tuned my car to ~390whp on 91 octane, and ~470whp on E50, which one do you recommend for open track at Sonoma? or should I run the 91 octane tune but put some 100 octane Sunoco unleaded and/or torco?

Torco is a lot less expensive then 100 octane. I got a case of 6 32 ounce cans from Amazon for $19 per can. Turns your spark plugs a rust color but that's okay.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Ed,

Stupid question here. I'm going to be tracking the car in Florida summer heat and getting ready to do stg 1 tune. Would it be safer to run the 91 OCT OTS tune with 93 OCT gas, or is it better to just use the 93 OCT OTS tune? My biggest concern is not damaging the engine, not trying to squeeze out every last hp.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Just run ethanol man, why would you race on 91/93 if you have access to ethanol?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Just run ethanol man, why would you race on 91/93 if you have access to ethanol?

Because I'm 6mt and plan to use low torque tune anyway. I don't launch the car and I aways downshift to pass, so I'd like to get at least 30k out of the clutch in a brand new 2019 car. I'm pretty mechanically sympathetic to my cars and typically get 100k or more on a clutch. I track for fun, they don't give prize money.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Ok then Its “safer” to run 91oct tune w 93oct gas than 93oct tune and gas.

I actually mistook you for billbadass asking which to run, ethanol being a choice, my post was directed to him.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Because I'm 6mt and plan to use low torque tune anyway. I don't launch the car and I aways downshift to pass, so I'd like to get at least 30k out of the clutch in a brand new 2019 car. I'm pretty mechanically sympathetic to my cars and typically get 100k or more on a clutch. I track for fun, they don't give prize money.

Your clutch won’t last at stock power. Put a decent one in it and turn the dial to 11. If you’re gonna kill the warranty you might as well have fun doing it.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Your clutch won’t last at stock power. Put a decent one in it and turn the dial to 11. If you’re gonna kill the warranty you might as well have fun doing it.

Meh, I'll get around to it. Again, no prizes for track days.