Turbo. Blue.
Annnnd tune is ordered :cool:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Your going to love it.

I'm nervous as hell over it lol

I ordered an rsr clutch today too. I have under 10k miles on the car so I'm gonna have it done assuming I don't need a new flywheel and just reuse the existing one. Hopefully that doesn't bite me in the ass. Maybe I'll buy one from fcp and return it if I don't need it, but I don't really want to ship something that heavy back for a return.

Crank walk horror stories got me worried too, but it doesn't seem like a huge problem. I think there's just a lot of people talking about it but there's a very small percentage of people it's actually happened to, and the number of Rs that have had the issue is even smaller.

Like I said I'm under 10k miles, so between the tune and the clutch it's a pretty expensive way to throw away some of your most important warranty coverage. When I think about my mk6 though it was reliable as hell for me. I waited like 2 years before I tuned it just because of the slipping clutch issues and now I think I should have just done it sooner.

I've known I definitely wanted to tune it too. I'm used to a stage 2 GTI with 19 pound wheels and a single mass flywheel, so compared to that the R isn't much faster. I've only had it a few months and it's already starting to feel slow at times. I'm just kinda like fuck it lets do it and have some fun at this point though. No point in worrying what might happen I guess and no point in waiting to save my warranty for a bit. I got $150 off on the tune and $125 off on the clutch and those are probably the biggest discounts I'll ever see on those items, so now's a good time.

The GTI had a stratified tune, so I'm glad to be sticking with cobb. Ed seems to know what he's doing and he's got a lot of happy customers. I heard he owns(owned?) a golf R too which kinda helped my decision a bit.

Once it's tuned it'll easily be the quickest thing I've ever driven. Shit, about a month ago someone launched me in their 2016 R with a stage 2 tune and that was the quickest thing I've ever even been in. That's kind of inspired me to not wait so long too, so there's definitely a lot of excitement here too lol

Last edited:

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Ed seems to know what he's doing and he's got a lot of happy customers. I heard he owns(owned?) a golf R too which kinda helped my decision a bit.

Yup he has had a Golf R for a while now and uses it for testing, track use as well as daily driving. I am only a few hours away from his shop and was able to get tuned on his dyno. He is a great guy and knows his stuff for sure.

Dysfunktional

Ordered too haha - welcome to the jungle I guess?
Looking forward to the base 93 ecu/tcu on my 17R.

Maybe a Vortex next year (can I add a big turbo to my baby registry? That would be an interesting convo with the wife.... haha)

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Isn't it only $25?

Yes. That's not changing any options or mods, just getting the most up to date version of the tune file you have.