GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Working from home today so I took a little break and unplugged the o2 and reflashed the tune.

Went for a very short drive and no issues came up.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
As a quick edit, second drive and got a p0036 CEL so I've emailed you and patrick requesting a quick revision to address the cell. :)

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
As a quick edit, second drive and got a p0036 CEL so I've emailed you and patrick requesting a quick revision to address the cell. :)

I also got an 02 Sensor related CEL on my second start up after reflashing. Cleared it and drove around for about 20 minutes and hasn’t returned yet. Regardless keep us informed of what EQT determine is needed tune related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Quick read through the facebook post Ed made back in August, looks like people on older tune revisions will just need quick update to eliminate the CEL. A few others had the same issue. Shouldn't require any extra tuning AFAIK

My last revision was end of April fyi.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I wonder if it should be assumed that this "trick" is only for Cobb tunes... as other brand tunes might not have this issue. I know this is an EQT thread, but I don't have an EQT tune. yet.. but either way, I don't like the idea of just unplugging an O2 sensor. Probably the OCD in me..

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I wonder if it should be assumed that this "trick" is only for Cobb tunes... as other brand tunes might not have this issue. I know this is an EQT thread, but I don't have an EQT tune. yet.. but either way, I don't like the idea of just unplugging an O2 sensor. Probably the OCD in me..

Not to OT, but I was thinking the same thing. I've never heard this come up with UM, or other tuners really. Any "soot" I get, I just assume is from my downpipe and tune and I deal with it, but I never really see anything out my exhaust. Doesn't mean it isn't happening, I just don't pay attention.

Not saying I know if another tuner does anything about that O2, but I might try unplugging it and see what happens to my gas mileage.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
If you live in a state where they check readiness codes to pass emissions unplugging the rear O2 will make you insta fail

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
If you have an older tune from me, it will need a quick update to take care of the CEL for the rear O2. E-mail me with the request and include your last revision.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R

I can't speak for any other tuning platforms. They may be disabling the cat based fuel trims in software. But for any Cobb tunes, this is absolutely the case until Cobb adds the necessary params.

The rear O2 is only there to determine if the cat is working and to adjust the AFR to heat up the cat if necessary. There's nothing wrong with unplugging it if you're running catless or a high flow cat. Or you can play with spacers and such to get it within expected parameters.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Not to OT, but I was thinking the same thing. I've never heard this come up with UM, or other tuners really. Any "soot" I get, I just assume is from my downpipe and tune and I deal with it, but I never really see anything out my exhaust. Doesn't mean it isn't happening, I just don't pay attention.

Not saying I know if another tuner does anything about that O2, but I might try unplugging it and see what happens to my gas mileage.

You'd have to log the ECU to see if its doing this. But it happens gradually over a week or two and can shift AFR by up to .5:1... which can make things quite rich. Definitely evident in gas mileage.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
If you live in a state where they check readiness codes to pass emissions unplugging the rear O2 will make you insta fail

This is for off road use only. I would never recommend trying to pass inspection with an unplugged O2 or aftermarket downpipe for that matter. If your rear O2 is not happy and causing this rich condition, your monitors are not set anyway.

-- Ed

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
You'd have to log the ECU to see if its doing this. But it happens gradually over a week or two and can shift AFR by up to .5:1... which can make things quite rich. Definitely evident in gas mileage.

-- Ed

I assume just unplugging the O2 without disconnecting the battery (closest I can get to reflashing to reset trims) wouldn't do anything right? It's easy enough to unplug in the engine bay.

Last edited:

DrewB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 Pure White Sport
Ed is this true for your base tune as well? My S2 base tune was from February of this year, would it require an update?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

S1ack

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 R
I would never recommend trying to pass inspection with an unplugged O2 or aftermarket downpipe for that matter.
-- Ed
Just an FYI:
With 02 sensor in, I passed NC inspection on your tune. With Unitronic Downpipe in place.

Edit: NC does look for readiness.

Last edited: