GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

Papercuts2

Ready to race!
I am looking at the EQ vortex hybrid because it’s not 4wd. Reliability is a must. But would like to have as much HP without sacrificing reliability and drivability .
The suspension and breaks will be completely overhauled. From poly bushings to reinforcing the chassis(the works).

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Because in my experience once you start making changes to the stock fueling system, reliability takes a hit. If that’s a misnomer on this platform, please educate me.
If you’re seeing issues it’s more likely because people are pushing the limits when having to upgrade the fuel system. Use quality parts and ensure they are installed properly and monitor the car. Discuss your goals and expectations with your tuner, if you want a safe reliable setup that makes less power while playing it safe then do that. If you want something that runs on the ragged edge making every pony it possibly can you can do that now. Just seems a huge waste of time to build a motor, install something like a vortex to run it on 93 and stock fueling.

Papercuts2

Ready to race!
If you’re seeing issues it’s more likely because people are pushing the limits when having to upgrade the fuel system. Use quality parts and ensure they are installed properly and monitor the car. Discuss your goals and expectations with your tuner, if you want a safe reliable setup that makes less power while playing it safe then do that. If you want something that runs on the ragged edge making every pony it possibly can you can do that now. Just seems a huge waste of time to build a motor, install something like a vortex to run it on 93 and stock fueling.
So is ethanol the general consensus for this type of built?
How about the tuning?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Because in my experience once you start making changes to the stock fueling system, reliability takes a hit. If that’s a misnomer on this platform, please educate me.
There's no problem going with the HPFP if your car needs it but it has to be tuned for. Where the problem starts is when guys start adding MPI "multi port injection" and going over 475 HP. The stock block is basically reliable up to around that HP as long as it's running a well sorted tune.

Papercuts2

Ready to race!
There's no problem going with the HPFP if your car needs it but it has to be tuned for. Where the problem starts is when guys start adding MPI "multi port injection" and going over 475 HP. The stock block is basically reliable up to around that HP as long as it's running a well sorted tune.
To get that sort of power I would need the xl EQT turbo. Am I right?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
At that point you have to upgrade the complete fuel system. Right?
Not for a daily driver with occasional spirited runs
Yes with MPI you'll need the LPFP and a controller and a very good tuner. Everybody that has gone near or over 500 HP has had to rebuild their engine or abandoned the GTI and moved onto another brand of car.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Yes with MPI you'll need the LPFP and a controller and a very good tuner. Everybody that has gone near or over 500 HP has had to rebuild their engine or abandoned the GTI and moved onto another brand of car.
Not everyone, at least yet lol. I’m aiming for 500+ on e85 on a semi daily driver. I don’t drive it every day because I don’t have to, not because I expect it not to be up to the task.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
At that point you have to upgrade the complete fuel system. Right?
Not for a daily driver with occasional spirited runs
FWIW Ed and cliff both regularly track their car at 500+ whp without major issues. Are the cars gonna last 200k at that level? Most likely not but you’re either in for the long haul or you’re gonna sell the car in 2-3 years like the rest of us anyway.