GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Got my 2.51v Golf R stage 2 93 and E30 tunes, haven't driven much but could tell right away it's smooth!

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Got my 2.51v Golf R stage 2 93 and E30 tunes, haven't driven much but could tell right away it's smooth!
Word, I installed last night and right off the bat pulling out of my complex at partial throttle was way smoother and OEM like. Partial throttle response is way more subdued and comfortable now

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Yes they offer dyno numbers for everything but Stage 2 93 octane. I could be mistaken and they might not even offer it, but that's the flash I was looking for.
93 numbers are generally about 10whp over the 91 charts.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Word, I installed last night and right off the bat pulling out of my complex at partial throttle was way smoother and OEM like. Partial throttle response is way more subdued and comfortable now

Are you a manual or DSG car?

Its funny reading this because throttle mapping did not change for the Golf R's in this revision. The major change in that regard was on pre-2019 GTI's.

-- Ed

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Its funny reading this because throttle mapping did not change for the Golf R's in this revision. The major change in that regard was on pre-2019 GTI's.

-- Ed

The butt dyno is a hell of a drug. People love feeling like they're perceiving a change when there actually is none.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion

-- Ed
That’s good to hear. I like how my car drives compared to my friends apr car, his throttle is so lazy.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
That’s good to hear. I like how my car drives compared to my friends apr car, his throttle is so lazy.
Apr doesn't fine tune their shit and smoothness is not their strong point. The apr tune I had on my mk6 was an embarrassment, it was that bad.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Apr doesn't fine tune their shit and smoothness is not their strong point. The apr tune I had on my mk6 was an embarrassment, it was that bad.
I’m not a fanboy or a hater. My mk6 was apr and it was good. My Mk7 Gti was also apr and I never had any complaints. FWIW my car runs side by side with my friends apr car wide open. I just prefer the way my car drives in every other scenario.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I’m not a fanboy or a hater. My mk6 was apr and it was good. My Mk7 Gti was also apr and I never had any complaints. FWIW my car runs side by side with my friends apr car wide open. I just prefer the way my car drives in every other scenario.
I wasted too much time and money trying to figure out what was wrong with my mk6, and I drove that car for far too long with a poor tune, so I'll be forever sour towards them. On a whim I replaced their tune with another one and the car ran perfectly...I should have dumped them so much sooner. About a year later apr finally acknowledged the problem and released a new update. It makes it hard for me to have any complaints about EQT though. I'm anxious to see what the improvements feel like for a 6 speed R.

The last few weeks I've felt like my car has been so much more work to drive. I wasn't sure what was wrong. It felt like there was more slop coming from the motor and the flywheel was making more noises. My shifts were sloppier too, especially going from 1st to 2nd. Turns out my problem was only that I was missing 10 psi in all 4 tires. These abs pressure sensors really aren't good at detecting a problem with 19" wheels.

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R

-- Ed
Well, let it be weather or merely reflashing the tune and the car having to relearn but yeah this is an MT and I wasnt having the turbo blast to 5 psi on low throttle right off the bat anymore

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I am looking to swap from my Unitronic Stage 2 ecu and tcu tune to eqt. Unfortunately I purchased my car with the tunes already on the car and no way to swap back to stock. Would I be able to flash both ecu and tcu over the uni tunes? Would I have to find a way to revert to stock? Or the best case scenario would the app come with an ots stock file for both that I could revert to.

Bkoz11997

Car(s)
Mk7 R
2015 Golf R Dsg
EQT stage 2 93 octane
HPA catless DP, MST full intake with inlet, rs3 plugs and packs, fmic
(Last log is e30)
Ran a few logs tonight, some had 3.0 knock on cylinder 4, others on 1. Last log of the night was knock free.

Please feel free to let me know how the logs look.

Thank you!

https://datazap.me/u/bkoz1997/log-18?log=0&data=2-23-35-36-37-38
https://datazap.me/u/bkoz1997/log-21?log=0&data=2-23-35-36-37-38
https://datazap.me/u/bkoz1997/log-25?log=0&data=17-23-27-35-36-37-38https://datazap.me/u/bkoz1997/e30-log-1?log=0&data=2-23

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I am looking to swap from my Unitronic Stage 2 ecu and tcu tune to eqt. Unfortunately I purchased my car with the tunes already on the car and no way to swap back to stock. Would I be able to flash both ecu and tcu over the uni tunes? Would I have to find a way to revert to stock? Or the best case scenario would the app come with an ots stock file for both that I could revert to.
Confirm this with Unitronic but I think you can take it to any Unitronic dealer and have it reverted to stock. That would be cheaper than buying the cable and having the tunes relicensed in your name.

Some guys have success flashing over another tune and sometimes it completely bricks the ECU which requires it to be sent to Cobb or for Cobb to send you some special cable to rectify. It’s not worth the risk if a Unitronic dealer can get you back to stock (again, verify this).

Last edited:

fuelforfire87

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
About How long is it taking people to get the new EQT tune version? I purchased the update Wednesday morning. Was kinda hoping i would have the new tune file before the weekend.