GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I thought so too until failing the inspection check, emailing IE and receiving confirmation from them that their tune requires flashing to stock to pass emissions testing.

What monitors do they turn off? And where do you live?

Even in PA where emissions is fairly strict we can have one monitor show "not ready" and still pass. I thought most stage 2 tunes turned off the monitor for the secondary O2 sensor but was unaware of any stage 1 tune that turned off monitors. I don't see a need for it if you're stock DP.

JS12

Ready to race!
What monitors do they turn off? And where do you live?

Even in PA where emissions is fairly strict we can have one monitor show "not ready" and still pass. I thought most stage 2 tunes turned off the monitor for the secondary O2 sensor but was unaware of any stage 1 tune that turned off monitors. I don't see a need for it if you're stock DP.

I live in Texas. I had to pull up my original email to them. These were the 3 that were "not ready":

Fuel system
Catalyst
O2

It sounds like what I recall from having Stage 1 for a time with my MK6, so it's good to hear that the COBB/EQT tunes shouldn't require 2x annual reflashes. Now as to whether I'll pick up any more performance via software only...🤔

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Cobb tunes don't disable any monitors, even the stage 2+ stuff for use with downpipes. Cobb has had some dealings with the EPA in the past so they don't touch any emissions monitor type stuff.

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
Welp- Silly me never removed my 02 spacer after inspection a few months ago and I've been running it installed with my OTS stage 2 tune.... Now that I think about it, is there even any issue with just leaving it installed and running the tune?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welp- Silly me never removed my 02 spacer after inspection a few months ago and I've been running it installed with my OTS stage 2 tune.... Now that I think about it, is there even any issue with just leaving it installed and running the tune?

No

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3

Fine as is. The actual issue arises from having a P0420 DTC in the background. If you don't have that code (and presumably you don't since you passed emissions), you're good to go.

JUMB3E

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6MT
With the upcoming boost sale, I figured I would throw this out there as I'm sure I'm not the only one on the fence debating standard housing Vortex or go XL.

For me, I'm strictly street driven and no access to E, so straight 91 pump all the time for me. I also don't plan to go MPI. I do plan to go with Autotech for HPFP and the brushless setup from a2B for the LPFP if needed.

Let me know your thoughts, recommendations. I'm more looking for reliability as opposed to hitting the highest HP possible.

Thanks.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Stay standard housing and stock sensors and you will be fine until you inevitably want more.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ordered AP from EQT with their stg 1- 93 tune file for my GTI. Im at 44k miles - What plugs is the latest rage now? I am reading RS7 (ngk 91006 / 06K905601M) plugs or stick with OEM?

Stock plugs are fine for that.

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
Looking to move away from Unitronic stage 2 ECU and DSG tune to EQT stage 2 93 w/ DSG in the coming days, but I'm not sure which options to select, if any. I don't track the car, it's a daily driver and mountain road carver on the weekends.

Do I opt for Cobb TC or forgo that option? It seems like it's a bit of a pain in the ass it if has to be configured every time the car starts?

Also debating wether or not to disable auto up-shift and kick-down in manual mode or to just leave that stock.... This feature is obvious enough to understand what it does, but what am I missing (benefits/risk) that could help me make a decision one way or another?

edit: Should also mention I have a GTI and sorry for posting here, but this seemed like the most active EQT discussion.

Last edited:

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
For AWD cars I would recommend no special feature options, unless you want burbles I guess.

Stock style LC works better IMO. Cobb TC isn't really needed and slows you down on a launch. I have it enabled on mine, and it's annoying to disable on the AP every time.

I like disabling auto up shift and kick down, so manual mode becomes a real manual mode. With it enabled...I found myself double shifting at WOT by accident. I would hit the paddle shifter right as the trans decided I should auto upshift. Resulted in double upshift and killing the run/fun. I think disabling it makes manual mode a bit more useful/unique, and keep in mind usually the trans auto upshifts before actual redline...manual mode then lets you have that little more RPM room. Not a big deal, but maybe on a track or whatever you don't want the car to upshift a split second before you're hard on the brakes or whatever anyways. In the grand scheme of things I don't use manual mode much, but I like having a 'real' manual mode if I want it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
For AWD cars I would recommend no special feature options, unless you want burbles I guess.

Stock style LC works better IMO. Cobb TC isn't really needed and slows you down on a launch. I have it enabled on mine, and it's annoying to disable on the AP every time.

I like disabling auto up shift and kick down, so manual mode becomes a real manual mode. With it enabled...I found myself double shifting at WOT by accident. I would hit the paddle shifter right as the trans decided I should auto upshift. Resulted in double upshift and killing the run/fun. I think disabling it makes manual mode a bit more useful/unique, and keep in mind usually the trans auto upshifts before actual redline...manual mode then lets you have that little more RPM room. Not a big deal, but maybe on a track or whatever you don't want the car to upshift a split second before you're hard on the brakes or whatever anyways. In the grand scheme of things I don't use manual mode much, but I like having a 'real' manual mode if I want it.

Who's DSG tune do you have?