GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Brushless LPFP Pro!

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
In this case the R&D was browsing newark connector until they found a $0.75 pigtail to eliminate the butt-splice for the AWD float. For their turbos, they tried a few TD06 options from Zage and then simply bought out US exclusivity for the turbine dimensions on the vortex. Anyone with a mailing address outside the US can email them and get the exact same "$1800" turbo for $1200.
Judging by Ed's collection of porsches I think it's pretty clear where those margins are going and it ain't "R&D."

My Porsches ARE R&D. They were purchased specifically for R&D, not to just throw profits out the window for fun. We also bought a $100k dyno last year and recently ordered a $120k CNC machine, meanwhile expanding our staff significantly. Yep, we could afford all of that because we make a profit on the products and services we sell... if we didn't make those profits, we would not be able to continue to grow, expand, and make new products for this and other markets.

Thanks
-- Ed

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Then why are you guys arguing here? If there's a cheaper option that's just as good, why aren't people just buying that?

Most people commenting here have no idea what it takes to start and run a business like this. And they have no idea on the specifics that go into some of these products. Its really easy to pull up some OEM pricing for a few components and say we're over charging. But once you actually start to put together a kit that works correctly and hire staff that supports your customers, you're in for a rude awakening. That's the simple reason you're not seeing the same product for less from other vendors - if it was that easy, they'd all be doing it.

Finally, yes we are a business and the point is to make a profit. Although we love cars and our customers, this is not a charity. We charge what we have to charge to stay afloat and keep developing new products. If we charge too much, there should be competitors who come in and correct the market. If that doesn't happen, then its likely that we're not overcharging.

Thanks
-- Ed

Right. Totally commenting to let people know there are other options that are just as good out there right now for cheaper. And yes, there are competitors already, for many of your products. I have nothing against you or EQT, but there are more options now. It's kind of the nature of the beast, this platform is kinda old now.

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
My Porsches ARE R&D. They were purchased specifically for R&D, not to just throw profits out the window for fun. We also bought a $100k dyno last year and recently ordered a $120k CNC machine, meanwhile expanding our staff significantly. Yep, we could afford all of that because we make a profit on the products and services we sell... if we didn't make those profits, we would not be able to continue to grow, expand, and make new products for this and other markets.

Thanks
-- Ed

CN: EQT Products need to cost more because they just spent a bunch of money and they need you all to pay for it?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Right. Totally commenting to let people know there are other options that are just as good out there right now for cheaper. And yes, there are competitors already, for many of your products. I have nothing against you or EQT, but there are more options now. It's kind of the nature of the beast, this platform is kinda old now.
There have always been competitors and there will continue to be new ones, definitely nothing new there. People are always welcome to use what they like, but all things are not created equal... even things that appear the same on the surface. That's not to say that there may be someone out there willing to sell something similar for little to no profit. If that's out there, great for the customer. But in my experience, such businesses tend to not last long, for the reasons I listed out in previous replies.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
CN: EQT Products need to cost more because they just spent a bunch of money and they need you all to pay for it?

No. They cost what they cost to allow us to continue to grow, to develop new products, and to provide the support that our customers enjoy and appreciate. How do you expect a business to grow/expand without making profits?

-- Ed

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
There have always been competitors and there will continue to be new ones, definitely nothing new there. People are always welcome to use what they like, but all things are not created equal... even things that appear the same on the surface. That's not to say that there may be someone out there willing to sell something similar for little to no profit. If that's out there, great for the customer. But in my experience, such businesses tend to not last long, for the reasons I listed out in previous replies.

-- Ed

Yeah, it's a weird cycle right. You charge extra to make sure the business can stay around longer. The smaller guy charges less but may not be around forever. But for something like the RS3 pump, I don't expect any higher likely hood for failure from the smaller guy. All your "custom" parts are not moving parts.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
No. They cost what they cost to allow us to continue to grow, to develop new products, and to provide the support that our customers enjoy and appreciate. How do you expect a business to grow/expand without making profits?

-- Ed

Totally not arguing that. It's like having people pay for insurance up front that they may not use. I mean, it's fine if someone is willing to pay. In the case of the RS3 pump kit, it's like paying for that best buy insurance on a TV or something.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Yeah, it's a weird cycle right. You charge extra to make sure the business can stay around longer. The smaller guy charges less but may not be around forever. But for something like the RS3 pump, I don't expect any higher likely hood for failure from the smaller guy. All your "custom" parts are not moving parts.
Well there are certainly ways to screw it up and we've seen plenty of those. We've also seen similar setups perform much worse than our kits. There is more to it than what you see on the surface. Those smaller guys also can't/won't offer the same level of service and support that we strive for, and good luck getting anything warrantied.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Totally not arguing that. It's like having people pay for insurance up front that they may not use. I mean, it's fine if someone is willing to pay. In the case of the RS3 pump kit, it's like paying for that best buy insurance on a TV or something.
I would liken it more to something like buying an OLED TV from LG vs from Sony. They use the same core screen, but there are clear differences in the final product, including differences in quality, consistency, performance, reliability, support, etc.

-- Ed

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
This thread seems like it’s becoming a pissing battle. If you don’t like EQT products or the price, don’t buy them. If you find something cheaper, cool, go for it. I personally don’t have EQT products yet but I’m not going to sit here and bash their products cause of cost. You can do the same with clutches, or even carbon fiber hoods. You can apply arguments for any products on the market.

For example, i may Purchase the IS38+ from EQT versus FCPEuro cause of the way it’s built. But i may Stay with an APR IS38 tune or maybe switched to EQT. We all have options to choose from.

Rant over.

@Ed @ EQT .. what is your plan for the CNC machine first?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I would liken it more to something like buying an OLED TV from LG vs from Sony. They use the same core screen, but there are clear differences in the final product, including differences in quality, consistency, performance, reliability, support, etc.

-- Ed
But this is fake news. You're saying you crimp a wire better than that smaller guy. You're saying your wires some how are more reliable? Are you denying that you use a factory RS3 pump and factory RS3 pump controller? The jet pump fitting is a non moving part. The wires and crimps are the same as you use. Are you saying there is special sauce in your setup? You're totally allowed to claim it.. but you'd be lying though.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
But this is fake news. You're saying you crimp a wire better than that smaller guy. You're saying your wires some how are more reliable? Are you denying that you use a factory RS3 pump and factory RS3 pump controller? The jet pump fitting is a non moving part. The wires and crimps are the same as you use. Are you saying there is special sauce in your setup? You're totally allowed to claim it.. but you'd be lying though.

I don't know about the specific kit you're referring to, but I do know about some of the kits out there and I know for a fact they don't perform as well as ours. Try out both in setups that max them out and get back to me. Until then please don't call me a liar.

Thanks
-- Ed

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I don't know about the specific kit you're referring to, but I do know about some of the kits out there and I know for a fact they don't perform as well as ours. Try out both in setups that max them out and get back to me. Until then please don't call me a liar.

Thanks
-- Ed

I'm not calling you a liar. I'm saying you'd be lying if you're telling me your RS3 pump and controller is somehow more reliable than what can be purchased from a VW dealer. Is this the claim you're making? If not, then you're not a liar. But that also means your kit is no more reliable than any other RS3 pump kit. If your kit is no more or less reliable than any other RS3 pump kit, then your Sony vs LG comparison is inaccurate at best, and an attempted manipulation of the narrative at worst.

Last edited:

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I'm not calling you a liar. I'm saying you'd be lying if you're telling me your RS3 pump and controller is somehow more reliable than what can be purchased from a VW dealer. Is this the claim you're making? If not, then you're not a liar. But that also means your kit is no more reliable than any other RS3 pump kit. If your kit is no more or less reliable than any other RS3 pump kit, then your Sony vs LG comparison is inaccurate at best, and an attempted manipulation of the narrative at worst.

I'm only speaking in regard to what I've seen, so I don't know if it applies to the kit you're referencing. But some of the other kits we've seen have very real differences in the wiring harnesses, the wire size, the connectors, etc. Some of this undersized wiring was causing issues with performance and reliability. The venturi system also has real differences and allows our kit to operate at lower tank levels than others.

Like I said, there are details that set kits apart even if they appear similar on the surface. And these differences do make real differences in performance and reliability. Again, I'm only speaking of other kits I've seen myself.

-- Ed

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'm only speaking in regard to what I've seen, so I don't know if it applies to the kit you're referencing. But some of the other kits we've seen have very real differences in the wiring harnesses, the wire size, the connectors, etc. Some of this undersized wiring was causing issues with performance and reliability. The venturi system also has real differences and allows our kit to operate at lower tank levels than others.

Like I said, there are details that set kits apart even if they appear similar on the surface. And these differences do make real differences in performance and reliability. Again, I'm only speaking of other kits I've seen myself.

-- Ed
Oh.. I've seen some poorly built kits.. Yours isn't one of them. I actually have one of those hack job kits with questionable wiring, the jet pump connector tube wasn't even the right length which made me reinstall the pump like 6 times before I just cut the damn thing. I'd never expect fitment issues like that from your kits. There are guys out there right now that sell exactly your non pro pump kit built like yours though. Good wires and perfect fitment. Good thing you have the Pro now. ;) Better get developing on newer stuff. ;)