GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Balanced Line Coilovers Now Available!

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
At least. In my little area of 30 or so townhomes, there's my white GTI, a white Golf R and a white Golf TSI. It's funny to see the difference in ride height between all of our cars.
And even within each model, there’s variations in model years and equipment levels in ride height. DCC VW non-DCC. My 2015 GTI had a reverse rake, the rear was noticeably lower than the front (and I’m aware the MK7 body’s rear well is actually lower than the front’s)

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
At least. In my little area of 30 or so townhomes, there's my white GTI, a white Golf R and a white Golf TSI. It's funny to see the difference in ride height between all of our cars.
So did you get the standard height springs or did you order the lower springs from their site?

Doge

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI
So did you get the standard height springs or did you order the lower springs from their site?
So this is me with the standard height springs with the rings sitting roughly in the middle of the perch -- MY 2016 GTI Autobahn trim with DSG:
IMG_3202.jpeg

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
So this is me with the standard height springs with the rings sitting roughly in the middle of the perch -- MY 2016 GTI Autobahn trim with DSG:
View attachment 188292
Holy crap .....I definitely DON’T need lowering springs then

Doge

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Holy crap .....I definitely DON’T need lowering springs then
Yeah it settled quite a bit after the first day. I was pretty happy with the height at the shop, but that's what it looks like at the moment

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
A helpful measurement for these types of things is Fender to Ground (FTG), center of the fender to the ground. That is effected by tire diameter, but it's pretty translatable for comparisons. I would bet Doge is about 24.5" which is pretty damn low.

Doge

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI
So I did move the ring about an inch down from the perch to raise the vehicle by using an oil filter pliers and the spanner wrench together, but even after moving the ring by that much the height hasn't changed at all.

I was doing some research online and
is basically saying that the whole thing has to come apart so the shock can match the springs length with 5-10mm preload.

Do I really have to drop the whole LCA do adjust the height? I thought I saw a few posts up about how the height can be easily adjust without taking anything apart...

bfury5

Autocross Champion
So I did move the ring about an inch down from the perch to raise the vehicle by using an oil filter pliers and the spanner wrench together, but even after moving the ring by that much the height hasn't changed at all.

I was doing some research online and
is basically saying that the whole thing has to come apart so the shock can match the springs length with 5-10mm preload.

Do I really have to drop the whole LCA do adjust the height? I thought I saw a few posts up about how the height can be easily adjust without taking anything apart...
I have a different set of coils but they have the same type of adjustment for the rear spring perch. I can get tools in there to counterhold the spanner nuts but due to the tight space I can't get any leverage to actually loosen them. I end up lowering the LCA when I make spring height adjustments, there are 3x stretch bolts per side that I replace every time and at this point I always have a few sets on hand.

Another thing, as you change the rear spring perch height you should adjust the preload on the rear damper. I find that easiest to do by starting with the LCA disconnected from the hub and the damper.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
EQT has on their website a military discount option if you add something to the cart. They're right near Travis AFB so likely serve a ton of service members.
Eh....it’s govx.....it was only $40 off.... that’s only half of shipping

Doge

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I have a different set of coils but they have the same type of adjustment for the rear spring perch. I can get tools in there to counterhold the spanner nuts but due to the tight space I can't get any leverage to actually loosen them. I end up lowering the LCA when I make spring height adjustments, there are 3x stretch bolts per side that I replace every time and at this point I always have a few sets on hand.

Another thing, as you change the rear spring perch height you should adjust the preload on the rear damper. I find that easiest to do by starting with the LCA disconnected from the hub and the damper.

So I ended up dropping the LCA to adjust the preload and the height -- wasn't as bad as I expected! Just surprised how much I had to raise get it to the height I want (very minimal drop since the roads here are terrible):
IMG_3207.jpeg

It's pretty much at the highest possible setting but I'm happy with the outcome!

IMG_3250.jpeg

Still playing around with the damper settings, but the 12 from the softest in the front and 10 from the softest in the back seems great for daily driving

bfury5

Autocross Champion
So I ended up dropping the LCA to adjust the preload and the height -- wasn't as bad as I expected! Just surprised how much I had to raise get it to the height I want (very minimal drop since the roads here are terrible):
View attachment 188743

It's pretty much at the highest possible setting but I'm happy with the outcome!

View attachment 188744

Still playing around with the damper settings, but the 12 from the softest in the front and 10 from the softest in the back seems great for daily driving
Car looks good. With the spring perch raised that far, I'm wondering if you could run a longer spring in the back and have the perch up a little higher.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Car looks good. With the spring perch raised that far, I'm wondering if you could run a longer spring in the back and have the perch up a little higher.

He can, but he'd have to upgrade to swift springs....same thing Fortune Auto told me

Can you measure your ground to fender distance (ground to top of wheel well)? If you're pushing being at the max height, I'd like to know where that would put me.....I can't lower too much....maybe 1/4" to 1/2" due to my driveway. May be moving next year so could drop more later lol

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
View attachment 188743

View attachment 188744

I'm kind of curious how you're barely getting the ride height you want with the coilovers maxed out, but @bl33dBlue21 couldn't get his car to tuck tire with the coilovers wound all the way down.

I'm still interested in buying a set if EQT has a Black Friday sale as I want to be somewhere in between you two, but I'm wondering what the real end points of ride height (max and min) are with the standard springs.

Doge

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Can you measure your ground to fender distance (ground to top of wheel well)? If you're pushing being at the max height, I'd like to know where that would put me.....I can't lower too much....maybe 1/4" to 1/2" due to my driveway. May be moving next year so could drop more later lol
My drive way’s not even so I’ll try to get a measurement when I go somewhere flat

I'm kind of curious how you're barely getting the ride height you want with the coilovers maxed out, but @bl33dBlue21 couldn't get his car to tuck tire with the coilovers wound all the way down.

I'm still interested in buying a set if EQT has a Black Friday sale as I want to be somewhere in between you two, but I'm wondering what the real end points of ride height (max and min) are with the standard springs.
The front seems to go up a lot higher than the rear. I was being dumb and was trying to lower it to match the rear, but I was turning it the wrong way lol. Turns out it goes up high enough for about 5 fingers gap. I’ll try to get the measurement when I go somewhere flat

Doge

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI

So I measured it this morning and it looks like it’s about 25.75” (give or take +/- 0.25” wasn’t completely even)

DA70FBBE-D9FB-44F3-800F-5562AE4FEE81.jpeg