GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT and Stratified stage 1

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You sure about that?

I think when ESC is off it's off.

I am not sure, but I remember hearing that somewhere.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
COBB TC is active when everything is on. ESC OFF - coded in VCDS, I spin in second with Indy 500's.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Cobb TC is always active unless you disable it via the AP. When ESC is on, both systems are active, but the stock TC is obviously much more dominant/intrusive. ESC has zero effect on the Cobb system which totally lives in the ECU.

Cobb TC has its limits...it will only pull ign timing to try and control wheelspin. It's probably pulling max timing it can and you're still spinning.

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
You can also adjust the amount of wheelspin Cobb TC will allow.

outatime55

Car(s)
mk7 gti
Cobb TC is always active unless you disable it via the AP. When ESC is on, both systems are active, but the stock TC is obviously much more dominant/intrusive. ESC has zero effect on the Cobb system which totally lives in the ECU.

Cobb TC has its limits...it will only pull ign timing to try and control wheelspin. It's probably pulling max timing it can and you're still spinning.
in simple terms if you want to experience COBB TC, you need to turn of ESC cause its more conservative and you will never experience COBB TC in an aggressive mode without doing this.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Get better tires.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
here's a quick video of it in action if you wanna see it working its magic

i wish i knew what exhaust setup this was, sounds great
That video is brilliant....thank God someone actually tests this stuff with real data. Bravo. Now I get it! I'd love to see the same testing with the various VCDS/OBDEleven mods folks do/swear by to improve these issues.

Last edited:

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
That video is brilliant....thank God someone who actually tests this stuff with real data. Bravo. Now I get it! I'd love to see the same testing with the various VCDS/OBDEleven mods folks do/swear by to improve these issues.
I swear I’ve seen this comment somewhere before.. 😜

tigeo

Autocross Champion

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I still get tire spin with a stg 1 tune and 255 RE71Rs.

It's just physics. FWD isn't optimal for launching.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I still get tire spin with a stg 1 tune and 255 RE71Rs.

It's just physics. FWD isn't optimal for launching.
Thank you - I think this key point is often missed when discussing GTIs.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
That video is brilliant....thank God someone actually tests this stuff with real data. Bravo. Now I get it! I'd love to see the same testing with the various VCDS/OBDEleven mods folks do/swear by to improve these issues.

My issue with that video is that they didn't indicate what slot the Cobb TC was in and I'm left assuming that the car is Stg 2?

From my understanding, you would need to play around and test in each slot, determine the best one for your power and traction level, then pay to have EQT send you a revised map with Cobb TC defaulted to that slot, if it's different than the default they sent you, as it reverts to default when car is turned off. Then you have to manually set it the next time you get in the car.

Again, that's me understanding, not gospel.

One thing I liked about the tune on my Miata was I could control the TC and launch settings from the steering wheel controls and they were stuck. They didn't default back to original and make me change them everytime I get in the car.

Last edited: