GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT and Stratified stage 1

outatime55

Car(s)
mk7 gti
All the title suggests this is a thread about my experiences with both tunes. The car in question is a stock 18 GTi DSG with no LSD. I wanted something that was great as a daily driver and gives the car a bit more punch as well, After reading comments on this forum I decided to go EQT stage 1 91. I only use 93 but just wanted something conservative with the timing.

EQT make a mistake and gave me a stage 2 tune. To their credit they correctly provided me with a stage 1 as soon as Ed but back and its a world market car they have to code it. The customer service was great, no complaints.

After installing and driving the car, I hated it. 2nd gear was useless, could not get any power down and had to short shift to 3rd to avoid TC lighting up. I tried both standard TC and adjusted Cobb Spark TC, not great in either. I have michellin PS4 tyres.

I sent an email to EQT asking if they had a less aggressive OTS tune with less boost as also want something less aggressive. They told me I could get a custom tune or look elsewhere so I did.

I rang stratified and explained my needs. They recommended the 93 low boost stage 1 (even though my GTI can handle high boost). A few days later the tune came and I took it for a run. I love it! I can rev the car out in 2nd gear to 5k at WOT with very little TC action. The car is much much more enjoyable and still goes hard. I know the actual torque measures from COBB logs are not accurate but as a comparison on EQT i was getting 430. On Strat I'm getting 380.

In short the reduction of boost in 2nd on the stratified tune over EQT has made the car fantastic to drive even though its got less power. I'm hoping its a bit better for the car too with less boost throughout.

This may help someone who has similar needs to myself.

take care

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
How are the roads near you? Pretty worn out? A couple of the streets near me are so worn they're turning white and 2nd feels useless on them because the tires cant hook at all

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE

Me right now. Lol.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
So go EQT if you want to make the most power?

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
90% of the market wants their car to be faster, big numbers, etc... you went with a tuner that guarantees that and now complain that your "one wheel wonder" couldn't put the power to the ground and wanted a tailored tune. They informed you that you can get it, but it will be a custom tune. If you go to their website, it is explained that any adjustment to the OTS tune, is basically a custom tune charge. There are vendors that sell multiple OTS tunes, should have gone with that from the beginning. I have a 2020 GTI PP DSG, running COBB Sgt 1 93 and if I don't feather the throttle I slip all over in 1st and break lose in 2nd with the OEM tires. I'm getting EQT Sgt2 tune as soon as I get wheels and tires, but I know that won't guarantee traction, so I am prepared to do what I have done in all my cars... use the gas pedal. I think most people think that the gas pedal is an on-off switch while racing until they get on a high hp/tq car for the first time.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
All the title suggests this is a thread about my experiences with both tunes. The car in question is a stock 18 GTi DSG with no LSD. I wanted something that was great as a daily driver and gives the car a bit more punch as well, After reading comments on this forum I decided to go EQT stage 1 91. I only use 93 but just wanted something conservative with the timing.

EQT make a mistake and gave me a stage 2 tune. To their credit they correctly provided me with a stage 1 as soon as Ed but back and its a world market car they have to code it. The customer service was great, no complaints.

After installing and driving the car, I hated it. 2nd gear was useless, could not get any power down and had to short shift to 3rd to avoid TC lighting up. I tried both standard TC and adjusted Cobb Spark TC, not great in either. I have michellin PS4 tyres.

I sent an email to EQT asking if they had a less aggressive OTS tune with less boost as also want something less aggressive. They told me I could get a custom tune or look elsewhere so I did.

I rang stratified and explained my needs. They recommended the 93 low boost stage 1 (even though my GTI can handle high boost). A few days later the tune came and I took it for a run. I love it! I can rev the car out in 2nd gear to 5k at WOT with very little TC action. The car is much much more enjoyable and still goes hard. I know the actual torque measures from COBB logs are not accurate but as a comparison on EQT i was getting 430. On Strat I'm getting 380.

In short the reduction of boost in 2nd on the stratified tune over EQT has made the car fantastic to drive even though its got less power. I'm hoping its a bit better for the car too with less boost throughout.

This may help someone who has similar needs to myself.

take care

Firstly, sorry that you received the stage 2 file initially, but at least now you have it if you ever want to use it. It sounds like we corrected this for you promptly.

Otherwise, it sounds like your tires and road conditions are simply not allowing the use the full torque and power in our tunes. The vast majority of our customers really enjoy having the full torque levels available, even if it means sometimes spinning tires. In fact, we sometimes get complaints that there is little to no tire spin when customers choose the Cobb TC option. As such, we tailor our staged tunes to appeal to the majority.

In this case, your personal preference is different from the majority and you prefer a less powerful tune for your needs and conditions. No problem there at all as we can always customize our tunes to anyone’s specific desires. You ended up working with another tuner instead, and that’s fine too. I’m glad you found a tune that better suits your personal preference of less torque/power. Maybe in the future you can upgrade your tires and give our tune another try.

Thanks
— Ed

Last edited:

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
the real problem is the OP was granny shiftin and not double clutchin like he should have

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Just noticed OP said he doesn't have the LSD. Wouldn't that probably be the main culprit if he already has ps4's?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Just noticed OP said he doesn't have the LSD. Wouldn't that probably be the main culprit if he already has ps4's?
The main culprit is phyiscs..hahahahah