GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EPC, Misfires, & Injector

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Hey guys, I got a 17 GTI and been having some issue for a while. I've experienced the car throwing a EPC light (NO CEL) when driving normal and OBD shows Injector monitoring in cylinder one& OBD shows that it fixes it self. I would do a data log to show you guys but OBD11 on apple doesn't record, only shows live data. I heard about the dongle OBD2 that records logs for you just haven't bought it.Today I got the EPC light 3 times. 1st time got a misfire in cylinders1 & 2 on top of the injector code in cylinder 1. 2nd time it was just cylinder 1 injector, and 3rd time same thing. Happens when I'm driving normal cruising in the higher gears. Car been hitting limp mode with the injector problem for quite a bit, but today it happened 3 times. I got pops and bangs that go off every time I let off throttle and downshift, and I downshift a lot. Im gonna remove the pops&bangs cause atm its a little aggressive. I have been tied up working a 9-6 job M-F when everything is literally opened those days and hours. I still daily the car and it got 56k miles. Oil changes serviced at 5k intervals. I did spark plugs to replace the ones that had about 10-15k miles with new ones, but still running the same coils thats on around 15k miles. I am hoping if I change the coils to new OEM ones the misfires with get fixed (hopefully). When I did replace my spark plugs I had oil on two plugs but wasn't sure which cyclinder it was since I didn't do it. For the injector I am not sure at all. I am hesitant on buying the "Fuel Injector Service Kit" from UroTuning for the price because I am guessing Injector one is bad. One thing that raised an eyebrow for me today when I parked up on the driveway and started to press the clutch in and out and I saw the RPMS bounce as I was clutching in & out, then it stopped shit had me automatically thinking about the crankshaft moving. It looked like I was blimping the throttle slightly.

You guys are all pros and well knowledge with this platform, I want to hear your opinions on the Injector in cylinder 1 and the RPMS bouncing when clutching in & out (only happened once today & went away, never had this happen.) One mechanic told me the engine is possible bad, & to me shit still drives like a champ. Idles on cold starts smoothly so it can't be carbon build up. Maybe do a carbon cleaning and clean injectors if thats possible?

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
There's so much there I don't know where to start. Don't buy coils yet. Just switch coils to the cylinders that didn't misfire with the ones that did misfire. I'll bet the misfires stay where they are proving the coils are fine. One step at a time since your post is so long.

EPC lights are very tricky to diagnose and guys waste money on parts they don't need. I would just get it professionally diagnosed. Probably end up less expensive than throwing parts at it.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Wasn’t able to pull the plugs. Plugs were changed 3k miles ago gapped to .022

Changed coils since they had 15k miles already just to cross that out the picture. I also removed the pops & bangs so it wasn’t tune related. Did a diagonal yesterday and its a bad injector in Cylinder 1 and possibly carbon build up for misfire in Cylinder 2. Debating on buying only one injector and do carbon cleaning or just buy all four. Not many websites sell OEM/Bosch injectors for the GTI platform only seen FCP have them. Heard about some injectors being faulty and updated not sure. Currently at a drive thru and car threw a misfire in 1 & 2 and car idling kinda rough. Carbon build up & bad Injectors on the list.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Wasn’t able to pull the plugs. Plugs were changed 3k miles ago gapped to .022

Changed coils since they had 15k miles already just to cross that out the picture. I also removed the pops & bangs so it wasn’t tune related. Did a diagonal yesterday and its a bad injector in Cylinder 1 and possibly carbon build up for misfire in Cylinder 2. Debating on buying only one injector and do carbon cleaning or just buy all four. Not many websites sell OEM/Bosch injectors for the GTI platform only seen FCP have them. Heard about some injectors being faulty and updated not sure. Currently at a drive thru and car threw a misfire in 1 & 2 and car idling kinda rough. Carbon build up & bad Injectors on the list.
Just buy and replace all 4. When I had my engine built, I replaced all 4 DI injectors with new ones from FCP Euro.