GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EPC Light - Ideas?

MK7aholic

Car(s)
Golf MK7
2017 Golf 1.8 TDI EPC lit up on the highway and was barely able to get it home. Have not scanned it. I did just go out to see if it still has the code a few hrs of sitting and its gone. What are the probable causes that might be worth a try before I have to pay to get it diagnosed?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Need a scan...otherwise this is a worthless guessing game.

MK7aholic

Car(s)
Golf MK7
Need a scan...otherwise this is a worthless guessing game.
My OBD11 didn't pick up a code. Autozone scanned it and picked up P092900 Gear Shift Lock Solenoid Control Circuit-Range/Performance what ever the hell that it. The car now runs fine.

Any suggestions?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
My OBD11 didn't pick up a code. Autozone scanned it and picked up P092900 Gear Shift Lock Solenoid Control Circuit-Range/Performance what ever the hell that it. The car now runs fine.

Any suggestions?
Anything that caused an EPC will have a stored code in the engine control module - you used OBDEleven?

MK7aholic

Car(s)
Golf MK7
Anything that caused an EPC will have a stored code in the engine control module - you used OBDEleven?
OBD2 is what was used. I took the car the dealer to have the trans flushed. He said they have seen a lot of valve body failures.?. This car has only 80K on it and well maintained.

git443

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 e-Golf
OBD2 is what was used. I took the car the dealer to have the trans flushed. He said they have seen a lot of valve body failures.?. This car has only 80K on it and well maintained.
OBD2 is a protocol, not what application or device you used. If you want to use that language, then what you need is UDS to read the error code from your car. If the EPC light showed up then 100% there is an error code stored in the engine control module. Now if you don't have a code reader that can read that then you need to get one or bring it somewhere that does have it. You need something like VCDS, OBDeleven, etc.. If you have a good quality Bluetooth OBD2 reader, you might be able to read those codes with an app like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ovz.carscanner

tigeo

Autocross Champion
You have to use a VW-specific scan tool to see codes that aren't active/stored - OBDEleven and VCDS are the common ones.