GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Entertainment system

wulliebhoy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MRK7 Vw Golf R
Hello guys, can you update the entertainment system on the vw golf R mrk7 ?? Or can anyone recommend one if they already have please??

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Assume you’re referring to replacing the infotainment unit in your car with an aftermarket one rather than getting the software updated for your existing unit?

If so, then bear in mind that the vehicle settings for many of the functions of your car are accessed via your infotainment unit’s screen. An aftermarket unit may not (probably won’t) enable you to access / make changes to those functions.

wulliebhoy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MRK7 Vw Golf R
Assume you’re referring to replacing the infotainment unit in your car with an aftermarket one rather than getting the software updated for your existing unit?

If so, then bear in mind that the vehicle settings for many of the functions of your car are accessed via your infotainment unit’s screen. An aftermarket unit may not (probably won’t) enable you to access / make changes to those functions.
Can you uodate the old system?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
If you don’t have the latest software version (I have absolutely no idea what that latest / current version would be), if there are more up to date software versions, then a VW dealer should be able to update. I dare say they’d charge you to do this. However, if everything’s working OK, then IMHO it’s best to leave well alone.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I suppose you can add a standalone unit and leave the OEM unit alone. Do you have the optional unit there? I think it sounds pretty good. The Fender on my 2016 MK7 puts out 300 watts into 4 channels and 100 watts into the subwoofer.

Last edited:

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
The only real advantage to updating the infotainment software is to update the maps to include new roads, gas stations, etc. Your VW dealer should be able tell you what the latest update is, order it for you, and, if you wish, install it. Doing it yourself is pretty easy, though a little time consuming. It's a simple swap out of the #1 SD card in the head unit in your glove box, but you need to keep the car turned "on" (though not running) for the 2-3 hours it takes for everything on the new card to install--you should keep the car on a battery charger while doing this, as you may drain your battery, shutting down the installation mid-stream, without.

Everywhere else in the world, this software is available from 3rd party suppliers, but in North America, VW is the only source.

Mcgill23

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 gti
The only real advantage to updating the infotainment software is to update the maps to include new roads, gas stations, etc. Your VW dealer should be able tell you what the latest update is, order it for you, and, if you wish, install it. Doing it yourself is pretty easy, though a little time consuming. It's a simple swap out of the #1 SD card in the head unit in your glove box, but you need to keep the car turned "on" (though not running) for the 2-3 hours it takes for everything on the new card to install--you should keep the car on a battery charger while doing this, as you may drain your battery, shutting down the installation mid-stream, without.

Everywhere else in the world, this software is available from 3rd party suppliers, but in North America, VW is the only source.
Just came to say I just picked up an R and in Philadelphia if you like VW shows, dragstrips, or anything like that hmu.👍🏼

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
A software update for the infotainment shouldn't take more than half an hour, maybe 45 minutes.

If your infotainment is not Discover Pro (meaning your navigation SD card has stay inserted at all times) then updating maps is just a matter of updating the card with your computer. The maps are being read from the SD card and nothing is stored in or updated in your unit.

If your infotainment is Discover Pro (meaning your navigation SD card does not need be inserted) then you could be looking at an hour+ to update maps, as they are being copied from the SD card to your unit's internal storage. As mentioned, you'll want a battery charger connected (or to leave the car running).

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
A software update for the infotainment shouldn't take more than half an hour, maybe 45 minutes.

If your infotainment is not Discover Pro (meaning your navigation SD card has stay inserted at all times) then updating maps is just a matter of updating the card with your computer. The maps are being read from the SD card and nothing is stored in or updated in your unit.

If your infotainment is Discover Pro (meaning your navigation SD card does not need be inserted) then you could be looking at an hour+ to update maps, as they are being copied from the SD card to your unit's internal storage. As mentioned, you'll want a battery charger connected (or to leave the car running).
@Cuzoe an hour+ for the discover pro? I just did the 23/24 map update and it took about 25 minutes in both cars. I wonder if there any difference between a stock vs. reflashed unit?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Cuzoe an hour+ for the discover pro? I just did the 23/24 map update and it took about 25 minutes in both cars. I wonder if there any difference between a stock vs. reflashed unit?
I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, haha. My unit is not flashed and I don't recall any update (software, only done once... or maps, done several times) taking more than half an hour. The EU is smaller than the US, though I suppose one could load maps for EU+England+OtherNonEU+Russia and that would be pretty large file.