GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine + Trans Mount Questions

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Hey guys, back again with questions lol. I'm looking into do more research into engine mounts and transmission mounts. I'm eventually going with a Vortex and am preemptively building a supporting mod list. I'm currently working on the engine and trans mounts and have found and been told that BFI is where it's at. I will be going with stage 1 engine and transmission mounts but have been searching for a good explanation between the rattle/ noise differences between stage 1 and stage 2. I've heard it's massive but I have nothing to quantify that description. The closest I've gotten to an explanation was someone saying that "my teeth will rattle" with stage 2 mounts. Like when do you feel the vibration, what's it feel like, what's the intensity, stuff like that. Because when I installed my eqs dogbone mount and insert it caused a vibration onyl when I start to move from a dead stop, and then it stops. Sorry for the open ended questions but I don't k ow how to not make it open lol

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You'll feel it in the pedals and steering wheel mostly. Especially at idle and on taking off. You would get used to it eventually. Passengers would probably think something is wrong with your car. I would stay with the stage 1 mounts.

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
Use the same durometer rating for the dogbone, engine and transmission mounts. BFI stage 1 engine and transmission mounts (70A) transmit a little vibration during reverse, idle (especially when AC is on) and on takeoff as Jim mentioned above when paired with a Powerflex yellow 70A dogbone insert on my car, but it’s fairly minimal and the wife barely notices. The Powerflex hybrid puck replacement and some other dogbone products would cause more vibration (apparently more evident with DSG than 6MT). This combo has worked well for me at least.

OldnSlow

Car(s)
2015 GTI S 2-Door
I'm in the same boat with OP: would Stage 1 BFI be overwhelmed by Vortex's vortex-iness? Mine's currently a daily and New England roads are trash, but a Vortex Standard is where I'd like to be headed with this car. Where would I be if I didn't overthink every decision? :)

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I'm in the same boat with OP: would Stage 1 BFI be overwhelmed by Vortex's vortex-iness? Mine's currently a daily and New England roads are trash, but a Vortex Standard is where I'd like to be headed with this car. Where would I be if I didn't overthink every decision? :)
You don't need 85a durometer mounts on a car you regularly drive on the street. Marketing might tell you otherwise, but keep in mind stage 1 mounts are already stiffer than the OE mounts on much faster cars.

I've got stage 1 mounts on an XL car and I find they add a pleasant rumble but some people even find that to be too much. In the extremely unlikely case you actually destroy the urethane with your vortex torque BFI does sell the stiffer inserts separately.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Stage 2 mounts transmit all the transmission noise in. On the freeway its hard to hear passengers talk. I'll be swapping out my transmission mount to the BFI Stage 1 insert.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
You don't need 85a durometer mounts on a car you regularly drive on the street. Marketing might tell you otherwise, but keep in mind stage 1 mounts are already stiffer than the OE mounts on much faster cars.

I've got stage 1 mounts on an XL car and I find they add a pleasant rumble but some people even find that to be too much. In the extremely unlikely case you actually destroy the urethane with your vortex torque BFI does sell the stiffer inserts separately.
X2

It is much more about how you drive and the use of the car or wants of the owner vs xXX power level.

Stage 1 is definitely plenty stiff for a street car, If you really want to focus on a planted engine make sure you get the full BFI trans mounts and not just the insert version - that change alone will lock it in hard stage 1 or 2

Last edited:

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
X2

It is much more about how you drive and the use of the car or wants of the owner vs xXX power level.

Stage 1 is definitely plenty stiff for a street car, If you really want to focus on a planted engine make sure you get the full BFI trans mounts and not just the insert version - that change alone will lock it in hard stage 1 or 2
I have the ECS dogbone mount and insert
Dogbone mount and insert

Last edited:

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Use the same durometer rating for the dogbone, engine and transmission mounts. BFI stage 1 engine and transmission mounts (70A) transmit a little vibration during reverse, idle (especially when AC is on) and on takeoff as Jim mentioned above when paired with a Powerflex yellow 70A dogbone insert on my car, but it’s fairly minimal and the wife barely notices. The Powerflex hybrid puck replacement and some other dogbone products would cause more vibration (apparently more evident with DSG than 6MT). This combo has worked well for me at least.
I have the ECS dogbone mount and insert

Dogbone mount and insert

Last edited:

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
BFI stage 1 engine and trans mount with 034 upper and lower dogbone inserts with my XL. NVH is there but like others have said, car sounds better inside but ef it cause racecar.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I have BFI stage 2 dogbone insert and BFI stage 1 engine and trans mounts. It was a bit jarring at first with just the stage 2 insert, but it quickly calms down and I love it now. When I did the engine and trans mounts, I notice very little added NVH.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Over 100K miles on my BFI stage 2 mounts (Engine Mount & trans/dog bone inserts).

Basic rule of thumb is stage 1 if you’re worried about NVH, stage 2 if you’re not. Give anything you try a full 1k mile break in period before passing judgment.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S