GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Torque Damper

wlfpck

Ready to race!
Wonder if anyone makes one for the GTI. I know the S2000 and Rx7 crowd runs them. Install takes about 15 minutes. No issues with having to jack the car up or anything like that. Would be a decent addition to anyone not wanting to replace the mounts.

Should work on the GTI/R/Golf pretty well as our engine movement is just unidirectional (front to back).

On the S2000...

and another...

wlfpck

Ready to race!
Apparently another benefit is that there is almost no increase in NVH according to various forums.

Looking at the dampers closer... it appears to be just struts similar to the ones used in the hatch and hood but just smaller.

People have fabbed up their own for SUPER cheap.

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/1...154647-diy-homemade-engine-torque-damper.html

Apparently it works pretty well. Only issue would be where to bolt this up.

Last edited:

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
Wow, never even thought about one for the GTI but that makes a ton of sense. It would have to be a pretty stout bolt tho as we make a ton of torque instantly :) I would throw this Q to MAPerformance as they are in the process of R&D for some parts.

I know you can buy the damper on its own, but to have it all in a package would be pretty nice.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
Pretty much. Was helping a buddy on his car and he had picked one up. That was a huge lightbulb in my head anyways.

I mean these things install in all of about 5 minutes if the location is accessible. There's no increase in NVH. There's no issue with having to jack the car up, lower it, wiggle things around to get things to bolt up, etc etc.

As for the torque... from the link to the Acura Integra forum... for the MK7 GTI, we could even just use a spring instead of a gas strut. That shouldn't be too difficult to find.

This would be even beneficial for people who are already running solid mounts as well for the track.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
not sure where one could be mounted on the MK7. The big difference that I can see based on your pic's is that our engine is transverse and those are inline. Guess you could rig something up to the firewall or crash beam.

The majority of the engine movement comes from the dogbone mount by design. If you want to cut down on engine rotation and some wheel hop, a new dogbone mount is a good place to start.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I just installed the 034 engine and transmission mounts a couple of days ago.
https://store.034motorsport.com/mot...a3-s3-tt-tts-mkvii-volkswagen-golf-gti-r.html

NVH is stock like. Even with the stock dogbone there's a noticeable difference with shifting feeling more secure.

Something that I didn't expect...
Going over bumps and such on the highway the front end doesn't bounce around as much. Feels more planted. This is something only replacement mounts can fix.

My opinion is to get the 034 mounts that if you are after stiffer engine and transmission mounts with a miniscule amount of NVH (only feel a small difference at startup).

Very OEM+ feeling :cool:

Next up? HPA dogbone mount. I ordered it, just waiting for them to make 'em :D