GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine tick at idel

Tornado18GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
18 GTI MT 12 GLI
How normal is this engine ticking sound?

sounds like a purge valve clicking to me. My girls 2.5SE sounded like this (yes I know its not the same engine but a very similar sound). Also could be from climatronic being on, was it on during this video? I could be off but just taking a guess here

Hotsky

Ready to race!
sounds like a purge valve clicking to me. My girls 2.5SE sounded like this (yes I know its not the same engine but a very similar sound). Also could be from climatronic being on, was it on during this video? I could be off but just taking a guess here
If that's what it is is that normal sounds or valve going bad?

Tornado18GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
18 GTI MT 12 GLI
If that's what it is is that normal sounds or valve going bad?

It sounds like its a tiny bit louder and more pronounced but TBH when I started hearing it on my girls 2.5SE I couldn't un-hear it and it seemed louder than it really was. I'm sure someone with some more experience with this will jump in here.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Man to me it just sounds like the injectors clicking. These cars make a different sound every time you fire them up. I have found that it is easier, and it takes stress off my mind if you just play music while you drive it otherwise you will kill yourself stressing out about the thing. My 2c.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Oh boy here goes. Check out the thread called "Tapping". At least three guys in that thread got the product that I recommended and it stops that sound. I'm not going to debate what the product is but It simply is an engine treatment that coats parts in the engine and I guarantee you that it will quiet that sound. I even went as far as buying it for one forum member on the promise if it quieted the sound he would pay me back which he did.

https://www.cermastore.com/engine-treatment-gas-and-diesel-autos.html

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Mine doesn’t have that inconsistent tap/click. Change the oil and put some good quality 5w-40 in and see if it quiets down before buying the expensive Cerma stuff. How many miles?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Mine doesn’t have that inconsistent tap/click. Change the oil and put some good quality 5w-40 in and see if it quiets down before buying the expensive Cerma stuff. How many miles?

No engine oil will stop that sound.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
84.5k km which is 52.5k miles.

Jimlloyd40, what are you saying is causing that that would warrant that product?

I don't know specifically what causes the tapping sound but the Cerma engine treatment coats the parts that are making the sound. All I know is that mine sounded exactly like yours and after Cerma it's quiet.

Hotsky

Ready to race!
Went thru the "Tapping " thread. Looks like same as issue as mine. Before i look way to treat it i need to find out what's making that noise and if its its something warranty would cover.