GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine temp fluctuating

Dengitpeter

Car(s)
2015 vw golf
For starters, I've had the radiator, water pump and thermostat housing replaced already. Car was then running fine for a couple weeks. Now my EPC light is on, check engine light on. Car takes awhile to warm up and when it does it fluctuates all the way to the red and down to cold. A mechanic told me it would be the engine coolant temperature sensor, another told me I had to replace my head gasket. There is no signs of a blown head gasket. No white residue under engine oil cap, no white smoke. Is this guy trying to scam me?

Just trying to see what you guys think it might be. Thanks.

I have also included pictures of what the mechanic saying I need to replace my head gasket. Those are the codes that are being shown.

Attachments

• vehicle scan.jpg
    vehicle scan.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 145
  • shop paperwork.jpg
    shop paperwork.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 201

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Someone had this exact issue a while ago. I don't remember what the solution was, but I think the coolant temperature sensor going bad is most likely.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Until you get the EPC light problem fixed I wouldn't do anything. The coolant temperature sensor should be simple to verify.

gdub09

Ready to race!
Most likely a faulty coolant temp sensor. Replace that, clear faults, and re-check.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion