GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine suddenly losing power

CEG77

Car(s)
GT BluemotionTecTDI
Please excuse me if I’m missing something obvious, despite looking at the manual. I got a new-to-me 2013 Golf 2.0 TDI on Friday, a big spec up from my W reg Polo after 15 years of loyal, if finally scruffy, service. I’d been for 3 short local trips without incident including yesterday morning. Yesterday afternoon I went out and after a mile the engine lost power. I went down through the gears without regaining power. A message about Safelock appeared. I wondered if it was because I’d not locked and unlocked since my previous outing a few hours earlier. I pressed the fob a couple of times having removed it from the ignition. We successfully started off again.

it happened similarly today after incident free first trip. It took longer this time and the alarm went off. Blank dash screen. It happened a second time this evening on a busier road, but no alarm. the first hint was the windows “twitching“. I had definitely locked then unlocked before driving this time.

When I stopped at home the dash screen mentioned Safelock again, maybe something about checking it.

Tomorrow involves a dual carriageway trip so concerned about safety if I lose powe between lay-by opportunities.

There’s been no problem starting despite v frosty nights and no record in the service history of a new battery since 2013.

Please can anyone shed any light on this? Thank you.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
Please excuse me if I’m missing something obvious, despite looking at the manual. I got a new-to-me 2013 Golf 2.0 TDI on Friday, a big spec up from my W reg Polo after 15 years of loyal, if finally scruffy, service. I’d been for 3 short local trips without incident including yesterday morning. Yesterday afternoon I went out and after a mile the engine lost power. I went down through the gears without regaining power. A message about Safelock appeared. I wondered if it was because I’d not locked and unlocked since my previous outing a few hours earlier. I pressed the fob a couple of times having removed it from the ignition. We successfully started off again.

it happened similarly today after incident free first trip. It took longer this time and the alarm went off. Blank dash screen. It happened a second time this evening on a busier road, but no alarm. the first hint was the windows “twitching“. I had definitely locked then unlocked before driving this time.

When I stopped at home the dash screen mentioned Safelock again, maybe something about checking it.

Tomorrow involves a dual carriageway trip so concerned about safety if I lose powe between lay-by opportunities.

There’s been no problem starting despite v frosty nights and no record in the service history of a new battery since 2013.

I would recommend you post this in the GTD/TDI owners thread. *

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie

Read your manual and you'll see what Safelock is. All Mk7s do this; it's not a fault.