GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Speed Max 4000 rpm

neeroj

Car(s)
2014 GTI 7
Hello All
I have 2014 GTI 7. i had an engine failure at highspeed.... Bearing knock on crank. Vw replaced everything internally from a new crank to new pistons and oil pump. so everything internally of the sub assembly.
Now whats currently happening is that i am getting Maximum engine revs 4000 rpm limp mode especially while the engine temperature is at optimal temperature and when i take my revs past 4000 rpm.
this has been going on for some time now. first it was the oil light and they changed all the sensors including the oil cooler.
They Turbo had a crack so they replaced that as well so now the oil light is sorted.
Now it is just this max rpm.
what could it be ? could there be a crack in the block which they had failed to have tested ?
they now removed the camshafts as VW germany has recommended this to be done and the specs to be sent to them

any help or advise or if anybody had this same issue would help.
thank you

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hello All
I have 2014 GTI 7. i had an engine failure at highspeed.... Bearing knock on crank. Vw replaced everything internally from a new crank to new pistons and oil pump. so everything internally of the sub assembly.
Now whats currently happening is that i am getting Maximum engine revs 4000 rpm limp mode especially while the engine temperature is at optimal temperature and when i take my revs past 4000 rpm.
this has been going on for some time now. first it was the oil light and they changed all the sensors including the oil cooler.
They Turbo had a crack so they replaced that as well so now the oil light is sorted.
Now it is just this max rpm.
what could it be ? could there be a crack in the block which they had failed to have tested ?
they now removed the camshafts as VW germany has recommended this to be done and the specs to be sent to them

any help or advise or if anybody had this same issue would help.
thank you

Are you getting an EPC light when it goes into limp mode? And welcome to the forum.

ThatMK7GTIguy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit GTI
Mine did this back in 2017 on the 2015 6mt GTI at around 30k, replaced battery and went away.

halfpast

OP, I have the same issue on my 2016 GTI SE. It seemed to only happen if I started the car cold, and turned the car off before the motor had the chance to fully warm up. In a case like this, when I would start the car again 1/10 times it would throw the same error that you described. The error goes away once I stop and start the motor again. I've just learned to live with it.

Flippy23

Passed Driver's Ed
OP, I have the same issue on my 2016 GTI SE. It seemed to only happen if I started the car cold, and turned the car off before the motor had the chance to fully warm up. In a case like this, when I would start the car again 1/10 times it would throw the same error that you described. The error goes away once I stop and start the motor again. I've just learned to live with it.
Sorry for the late reply, but for me it was because of low engine coolant

Golffff

Car(s)
Golf 1.8T MK7
In my case the coolant level sensor was defective (one of the prongs somehow broke and no longer connected to the pins outside the expansion tank). The result was the car was driven with coolant below the MIN without an alert. Filling-up and replacing the tank fixed the problem.

On a side note, for other cases of "Limp Mode" where replacing the battery solves the problem, it might be worthwhile to try disconnecting the battery and NOT replacing it, which performs a full reset of the ECU and see if that solves the problem. I'd be a little surprised that the car consumes batteries faster than others even with those automated processes while the car is hot and off.

UPDATE: The 4000RPM code popped-up again with EPC. Restarted the car and it disappeared. I scanned the car with VCDS and it shows no active/pending codes and no freeze-frames. Now i'm thinking that the battery issue might be worth pursuing. Will follow-up.

Last edited:

fudsey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 MkV GTI
Has anyone experienced other issues along with this 4000 RPM code? I have been getting an EPC error with boost not working where the wastegate has been messing up. A few restarts clears the wastegate issue but then driving along at 2000 rpm the 4000rpm code will throw and will have to restart to clear. I also get an occasional low oil red error that will actually clear on its own after about 30 sec... I have checked the oil level and it's full so no error there.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Has anyone experienced other issues along with this 4000 RPM code? I have been getting an EPC error with boost not working where the wastegate has been messing up. A few restarts clears the wastegate issue but then driving along at 2000 rpm the 4000rpm code will throw and will have to restart to clear. I also get an occasional low oil red error that will actually clear on its own after about 30 sec... I have checked the oil level and it's full so no error there.

When you say the 4000 RPM code you mean the EPC light right? There are many potential causes for an EPC light and I wouldn't start replacing parts. I would get it diagnosed. When I was getting an EPC light it was because of the tune that was on my car.

https://mechanicbase.com/engine/epc-light/

Golffff

Car(s)
Golf 1.8T MK7
I have been getting an EPC error with boost not working where the wastegate has been messing up.

For that exact situation I lubed the rod linkage on the turbo side with Hi-Temp anti-seize (Nickel based) and the problem has not re-appeared in 6 months. The car has been below freezing and still hasn't popped the code.

fudsey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 MkV GTI
When you say the 4000 RPM code you mean the EPC light right? There are many potential causes for an EPC light and I wouldn't start replacing parts. I would get it diagnosed. When I was getting an EPC light it was because of the tune that was on my car.

https://mechanicbase.com/engine/epc-light/
No I get the same error as originally posted with the info on the screen and the EPC light. Funny thing is it counts down from 6000 RPM down to 4000. I get the EPC light only with the wastegate error. Scanned it with VCDS while it was on and this is what the code showed for the EPC light only. Haven't scanned it with the 4000 RPM code as I was driving each time it has happened and just restarted to clear while on the road. I am running a JB4 and have been for years now with no issues.

For that exact situation I lubed the rod linkage on the turbo side with Hi-Temp anti-seize (Nickel based) and the problem has not re-appeared in 6 months. The car has been below freezing and still hasn't popped the code.
Interesting, I'll have to look into this, THANKS ! !

flygteye

Ready to race!
I had the same warning...engine rpms exceeded 4000.....that was after I had an oil pressure gauge installed. Removed gauge and everything is fine. Reading all this now makes me wonder if the hose was kinked or bent. My battery and coolant are fine. Hmmm...I'm going to have it reinstalled next spring and see if it works again.

TehFunGi

Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI S
Hey everybody, I was trying to search this, but I couldn't find any information for MK7's. Has anyone ran into this issue on their GTI's? The epc would come on, but after I shut off the car and turn it on it disappeared. It's happened about 5 times now in the last couple of days. Any information would be helpful!
This happened to me in my 2015 TSI S, exact same error was thrown on my dash. If I turn the car off, then back on, error would go away. After a couple months of this, the error will come up every time I hang the RPM >= 4k now.

Dealership found a fault with the thermostat. They did a resistance test and confirmed the issue. I'll keep you posted if this resolves my issue.. 1200$ for thermostat and waterpump bill ugh.

iNvisible9611

Car(s)
GTI MK7 2015
This happened to me in my 2015 TSI S, exact same error was thrown on my dash. If I turn the car off, then back on, error would go away. After a couple months of this, the error will come up every time I hang the RPM >= 4k now.

Dealership found a fault with the thermostat. They did a resistance test and confirmed the issue. I'll keep you posted if this resolves my issue.. 1200$ for thermostat and waterpump bill ugh.
Did it fix it?

Timbo1969

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I have this issue since I put a 2019 engine in my car. However I just got OBDeleven and the code that pops the lights for me is the oil pressure switch. So I've ordered a new one